Elbow adapter for regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
My primary second stage regulator is on a 40" flex hose routed under my arm. I'm looking for a good swivel, so far these are the options I'm considering:

1) for $26, the XS scuba 90 deg elbow:
XS Scuba 90° Right Angle Adapter
Based on the youtube video, it appears this unit also swivels.

2) $40, XS scuba 90 deg elbow with swivel:
XS Scuba 90° Right Angle Adapter with Swivel

I am confused because this second model looks like it's identical to the first -- both are 90 degrees on a swivel. The only difference is that the second is almost double the price and looks heavier, so it may contribute slightly more to jaw fatigue. Is there some actual difference/benefit I'm failing to see that explains the higher price?

3)$70, omni swivel
Omni Swivel Standard

I'm also looking at this omni swivel. Seems like it would offer the most flexibility and comfort. However, I'm curious if the increased complexity tends to make these omni swivels less reliable. Do they have more o-rings and points of failure, or is it basically just a superior design?

4) $40, aqua omni swivel
Aqua 360 Degree Regulator swivel

5) Same thing again for $63
https://www.leisurepro.com/p-oedsc/ocean-reef-neptune-hose-swivel-connection

Lastly, we have a cheaper clone of the omni swivel. Reading the top review it sounds like it might have some reliability issues, but I'm not sure if that's a flaw in the design common to all omni swivels being less reliable, or if this guy just good a bad unit.

What do you recommend?

The first one is NOT omni directional and the angle is fixed. The male side goes into LP hose fitting, and can be rotated just like 2nd stage attached to the LP hose. The female size goes onto 2nd stage, again, provide rotation only. So at anytime, the LP hose and the 2nd stage is at 90 degree, just both side can be rotated. I tried one of these, aren't using it anymore

The 2nd one is similar to the first except the female side has a ball join kind of thing. So the angle between LP and 2nd stage is not necessary at 90 all the time, but the movement is limited.

Every time I see 40" + swivel or adapter setup, i wonder why not just go to 7ft long hose and call it done. If when you need to share air and do control ascend, being able to have distance between the donor and receiver is a huge advantage.

Last edited:
I don't like elbows, I've seen them blow out with no warning. The ball swivels will only separate if the assembly was done incorrectly.
Cave adventurers has ball swivels for $25 and they work wonderfully.

I do somewhat agree with @eelnoraa though. I dove 40" hoses for a long time, but the jaw fatigue started to aggravate my TMJ. I now dive 7' hoses in backmount though I do it with an omniswivel because the torque from the hose trying to bend 180* is enough to bother me

Diving FFM about 95% of the time, I use a ball swivel like the Omniswivel. Not the MiFlex brand like my hoses, but so far it's worked as designed. Like you, I dive a 40" hose routed under my right arm and the swivel helps route the hose where I need it and out of the way so I don't ever have to worry about it catching on anything. I have switched over on a couple of occasions to a traditional mask and 2nd stage (via a QD fitting) but the swivel stays mounted on my FFM so I can't really speak to what it's like using a swivel with a regular 2nd stage. I suppose I could maybe put the swivel on the other side of my QD fitting and see how it works out but I'll have to see if the QD is permanently attached to the MiFlex hose or not.

I don't like elbows, I've seen them blow out with no warning. The ball swivels will only separate if the assembly was done incorrectly.

How does a simple elbow fitting "blow out"? One would think that the fewer moving parts, the more reliable. What you're saying is counterintuitive.

I have been thinking of getting a 40" with an elbow or swivel for certain travel diving--essentially just liveaboards with RIBs. The 7 ft hose that has worked just fine in so many situations proved a real hassle on a crowded RIB on a recent trip. It wasn't even the first RIB I have dived from, just the most crowded.

How does a simple elbow fitting "blow out"? One would think that the fewer moving parts, the more reliable. What you're saying is counterintuitive.

I have been thinking of getting a 40" with an elbow or swivel for certain travel diving--essentially just liveaboards with RIBs. The 7 ft hose that has worked just fine in so many situations proved a real hassle on a crowded RIB on a recent trip. It wasn't even the first RIB I have dived from, just the most crowded.

the cheap elbows are 3 parts. You have the full elbow part which the hose connects to, then you have the screw on cap that holds the regulator, then you have a bolt with a hole in it that holds the screw part into the body. The threads on that screw are very weak and if you overtorque them even a teeny tiny bit they start to strip and you will have an elbow on a hose, and a screw on fitting on the second stage, with nothing connecting them. You are supposed to put a dab of blue loctite on that bolt to keep it from backing out, but many of the cheap ones are just overtorqued, especially because the loctite is in there and it's just bad day. Doesn't happen often, likely won't happen to you, but when that failure happens, it's a bad day.

The ball swivels have a much more robust bolt holding that part onto the half of the ball because of the way they are designed.
The failure most commonly associated with the balls is the two halves separating. If you look at the repair guides, the bolt that holds the two halves together is supposed to have blue loctite on it so it won't do that. I have seen many of the cheap ones not have this applied or it had broken during the ride here and if people try to service them, they usually forget or choose not to put it on.

Add to that the better comfort you get from them, and it's a much better solution. If you want a true negligible risk of failure in an elbow, get the Kirby Morgan elbows where the bolt that holds the regulator side bit is actually welded into the body so it won't separate

For your RIB situation, I'd frankly just go to a 32 or 36 and let it bow out, old GUE single tank style

I have a few of these. I like my primary routed under my arm. At these prices you can do both...and carry a spare. The swivels are nice, but I was concerned about the chance of one leaking to the point my dive would be blown. I went to the fixed 90 degree.

1st Stage Hose Adapters Piranha Dive Shop |

Good luck, safe travels.
Jay

^^^^^^^^^^ this..................

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom