Regulator Replacement Suggestions (frequent diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you guys assuming he doesn't take care of his regulators? The service interval of a B2 is 2 years or 300 dives. He does this in a year or so. It also may be expensive to service them where he lives. People complain about it here.

My recommendation would be to look at Couv's sticky about testing a regulator and service only when needed.

Keep the B2 it is a great regulator. Why spend money if you don't have to, unless you want to.

He specifically references salt build up and rinsing, so to me, that points to the potential benefit of soaking. Throwing the second stage in the sink or a bucket over night is not that hard in many locations, even on a boat. But I agree 250 dives a year is more than most people by a large margin, so you have to expect some service is needed.

Why are you guys assuming he doesn't take care of his regulators? The service interval of a B2 is 2 years or 300 dives. He does this in a year or so. It also may be expensive to service them where he lives. People complain about it here.

My recommendation would be to look at Couv's sticky about testing a regulator and service only when needed.

Keep the B2 it is a great regulator. Why spend money if you don't have to, unless you want to.

He's also saying:
"also requires more cleaning/maintenance than maybe others"

He thinks that other brands/models may do better but with the amount of diving he says he does per annum, it will be worse with other brands.

Who assumed he didn't that de doesn't take care of his regulators? He said his B2 requires "more cleaning/maintenance than maybe others" - was just asking for clarification on that.

It seems his main issue is with salt buildup on the 2nd stage and an issue that the B2 would not present unique challenges to as far as I can see? It's best to rinse AND soak the regs. I rinse mine thoroughly and try to soak a bit (if possible) while on trips but then attach to a little 6 cu ft tank and soak the whole reg set overnight when I get home (as you should not soak Atomic regs unpressurized).

There is also the term "flush" that needs to be emphasized. Soaking or a rinse may not do it well enough. A forceful flush of the second stage is really a needed action step.

I also soak my regs after a trip in SaltX for a few days. Then a good "flush".

YMMV

There is also the term "flush" that needs to be emphasized. Soaking or a rinse may not do it well enough. A forceful flush of the second stage is really a needed action step.

I also soak my regs after a trip in SaltX for a few days.

YMMV

I too use a salt removal product after a trip. I sometimes bring a small bottle with me on long trips to give a mid trip rinse. I may use a spray bottle with the stuff diluted to spray into the first stage ambient ports and into the second stages and adjustment knob area to help prevent corrosion of the air barrel, this at the end of the dive day on long trips. If it is a piston first stage with open ambient ports or any first stage with openings that allow ingress of saltwater and whatever is in the water, I flush with a stream of water (hose) if at all possible. Then, with the regulator set still hooked up, purge the second stages and also use the BC hose with a blower to blow water from the ambient chamber. I then remove the second stage front covers and diaphragms to allow them to dry. If it is a chrome plated first stage (109, 156, Conshelf 1085) I may, at the end of a trip, also remove the mouthpiece and the tee so that the chrome is not kept with moisture in contact.

Regarding the second stage rinsing, which seems to be our issue. In the past we rinsed in the rinse tank, being sure to slosh them about.

Our local Atomic dealer (who services them) indicated that with these regs, keeping them on an air supply and rinsing them while under pressure was better due to the uniqueness of the Atomics. I have never read that and while its possible to do this, it’s also a PITB to do almost daily while also have the tank positioned right - beside the rinse area.

As for the water, the water on island is desalinated and while great to drink, I’m not sure of long term issues with gear. Being a “Divers Paradise” I can’t imagine its too bad given the amount of gear locally rinsed.

Regarding the second stage rinsing, which seems to be our issue. In the past we rinsed in the rinse tank, being sure to slosh them about.

Our local Atomic dealer (who services them) indicated that with these regs, keeping them on an air supply and rinsing them while under pressure was better due to the uniqueness of the Atomics. I have never read that and while its possible to do this, it’s also a PITB to do almost daily while also have the tank positioned right - beside the rinse area.

As for the water, the water on island is desalinated and while great to drink, I’m not sure of long term issues with gear. Being a “Divers Paradise” I can’t imagine its too bad given the amount of gear locally rinsed.

You don't need to rise/soak the Atomic regulator with tank pressure on, in fact I never do. What I do is to put the second stages in the rinse bucket first and then put the first stage in at a higher level than the second stages so there is no way for the water to travel from the second stages up the LP hose to the first stage. I usually have the first stage attached with the DIN cap string to the outside bucket handle so the first stage is hanging high right below the water surface while the second stages are at the bottom of the water bucket. Also note that if the dust cap is on the first stage properly, the water will have a difficult time traveling from the second stage to the first stage considering that the water pressure isn't high enough to compress the air inside the LP hose connecting the second to the first stage.

I'll try to take a picture of my regulator in the rinse bucket when I go to the dive locker next time.

Just keep the 1st stage above second stage when rinsing - the seat saver feature which helps with a longer service interval means that water could theoretically travel up the second stage hose and get into the 1st stage if unpressurized. Much more of a concerns if soaking(i.e., don't submerge the whole reg set unpressurized) - I just dunk and rinse in 2 steps: first do the 1st stage with 2nd's out of the water and then the opposite. It's quite easy in practice.

At the end of the day, if the issue is your (in)ability to soak the reg, no brand is going to perform better or worse than the Atomic. Desalinated water will be fine for a reg soak.

Back
Top Bottom