What would you do with a pair of Oceanic TDX5 / Delta 4 regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined

Quite Refined
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Long story made short....

There was a 12 year gap between annual servicing on my wife and my regs (this is what happens when you stop diving for 12 years). Had them "serviced" by a LDS before going on a dive trip in July ($220 or so after tax). My reg failed (octo began free flowing, we hooked up a gauge and observed significant IP creep) before we even submerged on the first dive of the trip. I dropped it off at the LDS that serviced it when we returned...

My wife's reg failed 8 dives later. Same exact symptom. We have not taken that one back to the shop. LDS claims to have ordered two different rebuild kits for mine and says the parts aren't right and that they need to replace the HP seat, but that what they are getting in the parts kits aren't correct. They've had it in the shop for 7+ weeks. I called Scubatoys (as that's where we bought them from 16 years ago) and they claim to be able to get them back up and running no problem, just ship them to them.

I just bought 3 new 1st + 2nd + octo's (all Atomic B2's) so we can get back to diving our own gear. Is it worth even sending the TDX-5's off to get them fixed at this point at $60 + parts each + shipping?

Has your shop told you they'd fix their mistake for no additional charge? If so, I'd wait it out and then sell them once they finally get finished.

But if they are going to charge you full price, then...

Scubatoys has traditionally done good work. I might send them one set for servicing just to have a back up regset on family trips.

And then sell the other or both as "Not working. Needs service." for whatever you can get. It won't be much, but it will be a better net return than if you were to sell it after paying to get it fixed.

I think you are right @buddhasummer - the juice isn't worth the squeeze in terms of present market value.

I also agree with your advice @lowwall - I'll get one set up and running and keep it as a backup. The rest can go on eBay or I'll let me son use them as wall hangers to decorate his classroom.

Personally I'd not bother, I doubt you'd recoup money after cost of servicing.
I have the same set and need to get them servicing. But the cost now is outrageous. As one can buy another set. but that is not good
the diaphragm covers for Alpha and Delta 4 just scrambled.
Other then that. not much use and in damn good condition.
most are charger £100 a set or £75 plus parts. Yikes! I got 4 sets to get servised plus my Aqualung and Scuba pro set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom