Question Scuba Pro MK5 w/ 108 and 109?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

MyBuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my Dad handed down is scuba kit that has not been used in my lifetime. There were some cool finds, at least cool to me. One of which is his reg set which I believe to be a MK5 with a 109 and 108. If any of you can confirm I’d be grateful.

I’d also like to get them in working order and dive them. Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience rebuilding regs but would like to get some training at some point. (Would certainly come in handy with the other 15 regs my wife and I have between us.) It seems like it should be possible to source parts, even without VDH, but was hoping I could tap in to the collective knowledge of scuba board so I’m not starting from scratch sourcing soft parts and service kits. One of the exhaust tees is warped and cracked so I can only guess what the other parts I can’t see look like.
I did pressurize the reg set, albeit with a fair bit of concern that something may go boom, and surprisingly the IP locked up nicely at about 130. There was a slight free flow after the purge button was pressed on the 109 but all in all not too bad for something that hasn’t been serviced in 45+ years. Still not diving them until they’re properly serviced.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1315.jpeg
    IMG_1315.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1316.jpeg
    IMG_1316.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 70
I believe there are videos on YouTube on how to service all of this. There are also various threads on how to service and/or upgrade them.

Nice reg set, probably from '76.
Shouldn't be too difficult to find the parts you need to get that baby proper working again in the US.
If you have no luck there, you can contact me if you want, I have all parts (used) for these regs.
Good luck!

Nice reg set, probably from '76.
Shouldn't be too difficult to find the parts you need to get that baby proper working again in the US.
If you have no luck there, you can contact me if you want, I have all parts (used) for these regs.
Good luck!
I think you hit the nail right on the head with ’76. The wing for the BC that came with it is red, white, and blue with ‘76 printed on both sides. It’s a special edition for the US bicentennial.

Just curious, what what did you see about the regs or setup that led you to arrive at that exact year?

The Scuba Museum has some parts like diaphragm covers and possibly tees:

The current poppet and parts for the G250/G260 will pop right into the second stage.

You might dig around maybe on eBait and see if you can find a multi-port turret and make sure you have the stainless turret screw.

The Scuba Museum has some parts like diaphragm covers and possibly tees:

The current poppet and parts for the G250/G260 will pop right into the second stage.

You might dig around maybe on eBait and see if you can find a multi-port turret and make sure you have the stainless turret screw.
Thanks! I found the diaphragm covers and emailed them about the exhaust tees.

G250 or G200? I found the post below in an older 109 thread.
The R109 Adjustable was an unbalanced design. It uses the G200 kit. It can however be upgraded to an R156 Balanced Adjustable. You would just need to get a G250 spring and balance chamber to add to the G250 annual service kit you already have.

Thanks! I found the diaphragm covers and emailed them about the exhaust tees.

G250 or G200? I found the post below in an older 109 thread.
The air barrel internal assembly, S wing poppet/seat, orifice and balance chamber and spring, can be used in a 109, 109BA, 156, G250, G250V, G260 and possibly others.

The air barrel internal assembly, S wing poppet/seat, orifice and balance chamber and spring, can be used in a 109, 109BA, 156, G250, G250V, G260 and possibly others.
Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

You got some of the best regs out there. Very easy to service. Vintage Double Hose has Mk5 rebuild videos on YouTube. The 109 will be easy to service, too. Get yourself Regulator Savvy by Pete Wolfinger and sign up for a course offered by @rsingler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom