Questions About ScubaPro 109 2nd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Scuba Museum has them hidden away on one of the products pages. They are pretty nice reproductions. Very soft and flexible. I wish there was also orange and Scubapro blue. Maybe someday :wink:.
I would expect The Scuba Museum to have orange purge covers to match the orange exhaust tees that they have (or had.)

Shiny isn't it

I'd be in there with scalpels and blades and tiny scissors even if it took me a day

IMG-0794 (1).jpg

And with exhaust Ts I've had so many torn off diving that I'm using collapsed old soft sticky ones

Going to have to start screwing them down, when I crack open the NOS ones

Shiny isn't it

I'd be in there with scalpels and blades and tiny scissors even if it took me a day

View attachment 818741

And with exhaust Ts I've had so many torn off diving that I'm using collapsed old soft sticky ones

Going to have to start screwing them down, when I crack open the NOS ones

I already have. The mold fuzz pretty much wiped off.

That is a NOS 109 that was given me by a shop I worked at in the day. I was pretty much a Conshelf guy in the day and just tossed the set in a box for decades. My wife will put it in the water soon for the first dive all these years later.

It can be quite the rabbit hole to go down.
So true. It's been several years since I last did rebuilds out of my box full of 109s & Balanced Adjustables. Spending a day putting together an upgraded 109 reminded me why I put the box away.

The original plan was to spend an hour or two upgrading a nice clean and shiny 109, and then switch the diaphragm cover and exhaust tee to make it match the one @Litefoot already has. But no amount of parts switching and trouble shooting could get it performing the way I wanted, so I started switching bodies. Eventually a Balanced Adjustable body seemed to be giving the desired result, but the faceplate was rough looking. Switching the faceplate and diaphragm cover threw the tune off, leading to more parts switching. Chasing the elusive perfect tune deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.

Hopefully the 109 that is on its way to Litefoot will be acceptable, but I have my doubts that it will be on par with a 109 from master Couv. I was able to reach a point of good performance, but never could find that wonderful feeling of "boom, this is it!" when a second stage is perfect. I hope Litefoot will give an honest opinion and have no hesitation sending it back if it does not meet expectations.

So true. It's been several years since I last did rebuilds out of my box full of 109s & Balanced Adjustables. Spending a day putting together an upgraded 109 reminded me why I put the box away.

Ha ha ah ha ha ha ha hahahaha ha ha!

For those who have dived both the 109 and the converted BA 109, is there a significant difference's in WOB after the upgrade? Also, do you make many pre-dive / dive changes on the adjustment knob. I guess that kind of depends on how close it was tuned to the ragged edge.

Are there complete kits for the BA upgrade (poppet, spring, lever, chamber, etc) available or does one have to piece a kit together?

The upgrade kits in the 90's were specific to the 109, including a printed replacement chrome plated brass "cover". When the 156 ceased production, the next successful upgrade kit was the one for converting the G200 to a g200b (of a g250 with a new air barrel too). Those models are also NLA. I'm not sure there is an "kit" anymore, so it is now individual parts likely from different models where they fit or are available.

@buddhasummer likely can chime in here..

There is no such kit.

I'm happy to make them up including, O rings, S-wing poppet, .141 lever, balance chamber and spring but would really need a few requests to offset my shipping costs etc.
I’ll be in for a couple. Planning to pick up 2 next week. Would also like to get any other necessary parts to service the units to be put into service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom