Elec Chemlites/Lightsticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OKI_GI

Reaction score
Anyone had experience with an electric lightstick as a replacement for the chemical ones? Saw one today by a company named Krill Electronics (or something like that) that uses 2 AA batteries, is warranted to 150', and comes in two models and 6 colors. Colors run from lime green to yellow to blue to red. Models are 120 hr burn time and 50 hr burn time with the 50 hr version advertised as twice as bright as the 120. Additionally they are sold in 360 degree and 180 degree light spray verions. Selling for $20 apiece which makes them very competitive with chem light sticks at $2-$3 a pop.

Been using them (electrics) for about a decade with no problems. More and more places are prohibiting the use of Cyalume sticks 'cause folks just can't be convinced not to dump 'em at sea.
Rick

I too prefer using battery operated light sticks for visual identification and marking. The amber ones are usually much more visible than the red ones. Some blink others stay on steadily. Often times it's best to pick one with your buddy if you dive with the same one. If not just buy two of them and don't give your buddy the choice. :D The chem-sticks are a waste in my opinion.

I have also uses one of the small 1 AA tank lights for several years, they work fine for me as well. As an alternative, I use a small 2AA waterproof flashlight that I can find at hardware and home improvements stores. It comes in a kit with a clear lens, a red lens, an extra bulb and a bore light attachment for about $14. Makes a great pocket light for daylight dives as well.

sonar/range finder........Mario, sounds like you have all the toys. I've seen those advertised, but have never tried one....The ad I saw claimed it would pick up an anchor rope at.....hmmm I think it was 50 or 100 feet.

OK, gonna let y'all in on some TSS that Dee & I have been working on. BTW TSS is "Top Secret Stuff". We thought we'd let the members here in on it before we let the NAVY have it.

What we have come up with is a Methane Fusion Dive Light, uses a 1KW HID Bulb.

We discovered the process quite by accident, on a dive about a year ago we were collecting some of the rarer pond scums and were putting them in Mason Jars (they have a really good seal) and by accident we put some in a jar that had some of the aromatic bovine deposits that are found around the edge of a stock pond. Well we noticed instantly that it started to produce a glowing & heated matter. We looked at each other and said "Golly Gee" It kept heating and glowing, soon it heated up to the point the lid of the Mason Jar melted.

We figured we were onto something.

Went back to the lab for some more research. After many months of testing we found that we could control the fusion process by adding some TSS, distilled grain alcohol (you guessed it) to the process and not melt the top of the Mason Jar.

Now just to get that power to the bulb. We found that we could use some 0000 welding cable (that's 4 ought) and not melt the shielding around the wire. Then we had to put the bulb on an extenstion that put it out in front of your hand, or else it would melt your gloves to your hand. Burning flesh still stinks, even underwater.

We found that we could get an eight (8) hour burn time on the light before the alcohol evaporated and had to be replenished and the top melted, more commonly known as the "Eeeeeeyaaagh Syndrome"

Some words of warning. We found that you cannot point this light at any living thing closer than 25 feet or you will run the risk of poaching them. Also we noticed that you cannot use the light out of the water as the methane fusion reaction produces some very offensive odors and the paint on the dive boats began to peel.

We are almost ready to go to market with it pending the results of some final testing. But getting chimps to scuba dive is costing us a bundle and we are running out of the trained ones. We hope to have it ready for market by the time the next DEMA rolls around.

Will keep you posted on further developments.

Disclaimer: Methane fusion is not an exact science, Dee & I have many years of experience in this field. DO NOT try these experiements at home as they can be quite dangerous to the structure (lost 3 labs) and to your person. Also the off gassing of this process, can be quite harmful to your orafactory process and develop acidizing of the sinus.

Weh have also applied for several patents and they are pending as of this writing.

Iguana Don, Phd S.E.

I thought you were gonna wait until those last goober tests were done before leaking this monumental discovery to the press? Well, we ARE among friends here so I guess they can be trusted with TSS.

What Don didn't mention is we're in the final testing stage of a new stabilizing medium...goobers. Or peanuts to you non-scientific types. The pond scum/methane/alcohol solution becomes even more volatile when shaken or stirred. With the addition of Central Texas Goobers, the solution is turned into a gelatinous goo that won't move when you shake it. Now we know that most divers aren't going to go around shakin their new fangled Methane Fusion Dive Lightbut what if some putz on the dive boat jostled you and made you drop it? We know the light beam will peel marine paint but we haven't had an extra dive boat to test the actual goo on. (Actually, our research vessel is in dire need of a few improvements, which I'm sure we'll attend to as soon as the salvage crew finds the TSS pond.)

During the accide...um, test that produced the burned flesh, we did discover something of Medical importance. The melted neoprene is an excellent sealant of any open wounds underwater. So the next time your dive buddy gets shark bit, just zap him with your Methane Fusion Dive Light to seal him up like a zip lock bag. The doctors at the emergency room will be gratefull that you saved all his guts for replacement. There may even be a new C-card issued for this first aid specialty but we're still waiting for PADI's approval on this.

Our lawyers are currents working on liability releases for this new product.

Dee Asst. Phd. S.E.

DEMA part 2:
I hate to bust your bubble guys, but there were several manufacturers at Dema from the boonies whom are beating you to market. Word is that Leisure Pro is carrying a full manufacturer's warranty on the lights. The manufacturer's claim that it isn't true and are wondering where they get the product... Scuba Pro is carrying the lights too, but they have rigged their's so that the user can't replace the power supply. It does however come with a lifetime replacement guarentee. Cochrans version of the technology is also very interesting, they claim that there's is better, but non of their samples would work long enough to prove it. The only other company with the blueprints that was quick enough to get it to market was Scuba Lightvoice... they claim that there's is cheaper and geared toward the recreational market, but was difficult to see enough of it, as it didn't really work well enough to illuminate much of anything.

Back
Top Bottom