Electric eels and rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
Thanks for the electricity lesson Tom, I learn something new every day! I printed that Creature Feature and put in my notes.

Syruss, can't believe you're one to give up your secrets!:) I added that page to my favorites so I too can be a bastion of knowledge like yourself! :wink:

Thanks a million!

ber :bunny:

One thing I can say with a good connection there is almost nothing in the world I cannot find info on. It is all about knowing how to best use the search engines and their strengths and weaknesses. Once you got that down the world is at your fingertips.

Why are the waves bigger on the west coast than the east coast? You see so much more surf in California than Florida and the students wanted to know why? Our best guess was due to the subduction zone there you have a sudden change from deep to shallow water. Were we close?

Takes me forever to find stuff on the net, still working on the search engine technique! (I still prefer DOS over windows--my computer skills aren't exactly up to date!)

I'm still new to this computer stuff, just got it in April and managed to kill my keyboard and modem within 30 days! Don't even know how, I didn't spill anything on it!

Ber :bunny:

Originally posted by Ber Rabbit
I still prefer DOS over windows

Keep in mind one simple fact here. Windows is just the best DOS application ever written, but it is still that a DOS app. Don't know if XP has crossed over to native windows not setting on a DOS shell, but win 2k still has its DOS roots that it sits on top of.

It's the "point and click" I don't like. I prefer to type my commands in (geek alert, geek alert).

type thisfile.txt > lpt1

print thisfile.txt

dir *.* /od

ren *.doc *.bak

del ??a*.tx?

Got to love DOS once you know it...

I was looking through a book last night by Milton Love about Pacific fish - the title begins "More than you want to know..." and he indicated that the charge can be up to 45 volts! Ouch! You might want to take a look at this book...all kinds of odd info!

While it is true that it is the amperage that kills, voltage and amperage are related. The amount of amperage (or current) is determined by the voltage (potential, it is called) and the resistance of the object it is passing through. In the case of people, this is determined by factors such as: dampness, physiical condition, and even mood. As such, 400 volts is capable of producing death in most humans, especially if the current travels across the heart.
1 milliamp is the usual threshold of pain
10 milliamps can cause muscle spasms
100 milliamps is capable of causing a lethal arrythmia.

The formula is

amps= volts divided by resistance (ohms)

First aid would consist of dealing with any secondary injury (injury/drowning, etc caused by the electrical shock)

Monitor victim for DCS, AGE, chest pain, shortness of breath or signs of shock

Knew I came to the right place for this one! Thanks, Sharpenu, any time we introduce something to the class that can harm them we give them the first responder first-aid procedure.

Kelpermaid, what's the name of that book? Sounds like it would be a nice addition to my collection.

Thanks everybody!

Ber :bunny:

"Probably More Than You Wanted to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast" by Milton Love.

Amazon.com has it new at $19.95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom