Electrical Connections in Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I guess I should have thought about this sooner, but anyway...

My wife and I will going to Australia in a week. Cairns to be exact. We will be toting some electronics with us like a lap top and I was wondering about the electrical connections on land. The hotel (Rydges Trade Winds) didn't have much info about it on their website.

We use 220/240 and our plugs are usually three pins with the upper two slanted. Sometimes we only use two pins - still slanted.

You will absolutely need an adaptor plug - available at virtually any airport or travel store (or WalMart etc).

I was in Cairns last Feburary and the Hotel had converters to use for a day or two (w/deposit) and we recharged some batteries without any problems but didn't use any expensive devices. I've been told that cheap converters can malfunction and ruin your electronics but haven't had a problem yet.

If the item you plan on plugging in is a low-wattage unit such as a cell phone, MP-3 player, or electric shaver, most Australian hotels have this neat little plug in the bathrooms that accepts both Australian and North American plugs. It also steps down the voltage to 110v when using the North American plugs. If you plan on plugging anything more than a few watts (in particular travel irons and especially hair dryers) you won't be able to use the bathroom plug.

As already stated, if it's a universal voltage appliance (many are, especially cell phones, shavers, and laptops) you just need an adapter plug obtainable at any travel store, electronics shop, or the luggage sections of WalMart or Target. Otherwise you will need a voltage converter rated for AT LEAST the wattage of the highest-wattage appliance you plan on plugging into it. These voltage converters usually include plug adapters as part of the package, or you can buy the adapters separately if you don't need to step down the voltage.

If your laptop uses a grounding plug (such as Dell) these adapters are a bit hard to find. You may need to go to a specialized electronics shop for one of these. If you plan on surfing the internet with your laptop via a dial-up connection, you'll also need an adapter to allow you to plug into Australia's phone system. Be careful though, if your hotel is using a digital-type phone system this will destroy your laptop's modem. If the hotel has broadband (wired or wireless) this won't be an issue.

Also, if you need to wake up to an alarm and don't want to use your watch or cell phone alarms, buy an inexpensive battery powered alarm clock. Don't bring your clock radio from home as it won't work even with the proper adapters and voltage converters, due to Australia (like almost all 220 volt countries) operating on 50 Hz AC cycles, vs. North America's 60 Hz cycles. Plug-in clocks rely on these AC cycles to keep time accurately.

cstreu1026:
I guess I should have thought about this sooner, but anyway...

My wife and I will going to Australia in a week. Cairns to be exact. We will be toting some electronics with us like a lap top and I was wondering about the electrical connections on land. The hotel (Rydges Trade Winds) didn't have much info about it on their website.

check your laptop power supply.

Chances are ogood it says "Input voltage 110v-220v". If so, all you need is the right cord for your existing power supply, and don't need an adapter.

Terry

As Terry stated, I'd check the laptop PSU first. If the cable that plugs it into the wall socket has a figure 8 connection on the end - it may be easier to buy a $5 cable locally in Australia. (Providing your PSU unit works with our voltage)

Same goes for shavers, camera's, etc.

Cheers

I bought my adapters right in Australia - brand namr of KORJO and/or Dick Smith. You get two outlets per adapter, and they are much sturdier than the ones I bought in the US. Cheaper too! A word of Caution - In order to charge all my camera and light batteries I brought from home a Belkin "power strip" with overcurrent protection - blew it out! A power strip will work - just don't get any current protection (Okay, so it was dumb - but now we know....)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom