Emergency First Response Instructor /instructor trainer courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFR doesn't offer the health care version of CPR, but it is still within ILCOR standards for lay people. The major problem with it is it has limited itself to lay people only.

As for teaching for AHA, the main problem with that is you cannot be an "independent". You must work with a training center and offer all courses through that training center. At least with ARC and EFR you can work independently, through ARC as an Authorized Provider.

I wasn't saying it did not follow ILCOR standards, actually I was saying it did follow their standards because they come from ILCOR and AHA.

In addition, you can be your own training center, and in essence then teach for yourself. Its not difficult, lot of people in the fire departments offer those classes and they are training centers. So that is only a matter of applications. In addition, many larger training centers, will merely host your certifications and allow you to set your own pay rate and everything and just require the 2 dollars per card and the completed rosters, eval sheets and skills checkoffs sheets...this is how I currently work as an instructor trainer through AHA. And I am working through a training center which is run by a person in the FD. Nothing major...

Interesting information. I became an AHA instructor about 15 years ago through a FD. I let the rating drop because I wasn't happy with the training center. And they would never have allowed an arrangement like you have. But the training center director liked to maintain microscopic control over everything. I may need to revisit this.

Just like in diving, it has everything to do with the instructor...yeah find some place else...or start your own training center...

In addition, you can be your own training center, and in essence then teach for yourself. Its not difficult, lot of people in the fire departments offer those classes and they are training centers. So that is only a matter of applications. In addition, many larger training centers, will merely host your certifications and allow you to set your own pay rate and everything and just require the 2 dollars per card and the completed rosters, eval sheets and skills checkoffs sheets...this is how I currently work as an instructor trainer through AHA.

This may not apply for most cases and situation.An instructor application to AHA would still need an affiliation with a training center (and also their endorsement), am I correct?

EFR doesn't offer the health care version of CPR, but it is still within ILCOR standards for lay people. The major problem with it is it has limited itself to lay people only.

As for teaching for AHA, the main problem with that is you cannot be an "independent". You must work with a training center and offer all courses through that training center. At least with ARC and EFR you can work independently, through ARC as an Authorized Provider.

I agree EFR follows the same guidelines from ILCOR and ECC and that EFR allows you to work independently (though some asian countries do not allow Red Cross instructors to conduct courses independently) and that they indeed focus on the lay-person rescuer over the health-care professional. I recall that in my EMT-B application they made me take the AHA BLS course because they did not accept the EFR instructor credential. Although the materials discussed were entirely identical.

Going back to the lay-rescuer focus... isn't the lay-person market a bigger ocean to fish than the healthcare and diving market combined?

Just like in diving, it has everything to do with the instructor..

I agree.

or start your own training center...

how does this one work though?

In reference to the first thing you said. Becoming your own training center is NOT that big of a deal. It is like any other paperwork process. My point was that if you were your own training center, then you would not need to have authorization from anyone else. As also noted though, if you did not want to go through the hassle of a training center, most larger places, like big hospitals, don't care and will be happy to have you under their umbrella and allow you to teach and set your own course prices. They may rent you or even let you borrow their materials.

As far as efr and AHA bls care, they are NOT the same course. Even you as an EMT-B should have known the differences. THat is why you were not allowed to use it for your application as an EMT.

Keep in mind that ILCOR works along with AHA to establish the ECC. If you visit their websites it even states that. So AHA is a major player.

Is they lay person market larger? Sure if you just consider the fact that they are lay people, but why does the lay person even want a CPR cert? So from that response, NO. People are not just walking around saying, hmmm I want CPR. People who usually try to get it are doing so because someone told them they needed it. Which fields are they? Usually healthcare fields, but occassionaly other fields such as babysitting...lifeguards (healthcare, arguably), scuba divers...

And getting the AHA instructor cert allows you to teach different courses. You could just teach the Heartsaver CPR course. That is lay person course, but now when healthcare people need it like the new nurses or home health care LPNs or CNAs, or people needing RECERT!!!! You can offer the healthcare provider cert to them...and charge more.

I think all in all AHA is the best choice.

Details on starting your own training center can be found here:

http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1199302219474ECC_Program_Admin_Man.pdf

Page 73 and appendix A

Remember I said, I work through my Fire Department friend who started one. I have no need for one as he lets me do what I want, sells cards and books when needed, plus he markets himself for courses and sometimes I get some extra classes that way. I only have my instructor so I can teach friend and people who need it.

I have noticed that Put Another Dollar In has a new O2 provider course. I am a trained Paramedic, do I have to take this program in order to get the O2 qualification. I am already trained in much more advanced airway manouvers than what PADI will be teaching. How do I go about being "grandfathered" in to this specialty. Thanks for any help.

Yeah you qualify...you actually don't even need to be "grandfathered" in. As stated your license as a paramedic, and even further as an NREMTP, covers you for this type of deal. I wouldn't even worry about it. I am a PADI instructor and a paramedic and I have nevered bothered to get it either. Just like I will never bother to get EFR, because AHA is far superior to that and I am an AHA instructor.

I have just become an EFR Instructor and don't see much of a difference between EFR and Medic First Aid , St John's Ambulance, or Red Cross. I don't know why PADI would dictate thet we have to have EFR to go on to more advanced courses. Does PADI own EFR?

I have just become an EFR Instructor and don't see much of a difference between EFR and Medic First Aid , St John's Ambulance, or Red Cross. I don't know why PADI would dictate thet we have to have EFR to go on to more advanced courses. Does PADI own EFR?

The only "more advanced course" that PADI requires an EFR rating for, AFAIK, is the PADI Course Director Training Course, which has EFR Instructor Trainer as a prerequisite.

To become a PADI Master Instructor, you need to have EFR Instructor (among other requirements).

At all other levels, where a CPR/first aid rating is required, EFR or equivalent will do the trick.

Cheers

Des

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom