What do we think about taking rescue course with rental gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A question about the rescue diver course: I'm really close to signing up for EFR and rescue diver courses this spring, but there's something I often see in discussions about the rescue course that has me hesitating. A lot of what I've read highly recommends owning your own BC/regulator setup for this course because it's helpful to be intimately familiar with the gear so that using it is second nature. That makes a lot of sense to me. But I'm landlocked in Colorado and get out diving only once or -- if I'm lucky -- twice a year for several days at a time. So far I haven't justified the expense for my own BCD or regulators (though I am getting close to doing that as well). What does the community think - would I be better waiting to take rescue until I have my own equipment?

Rental should be fine.

Most rental gear is generic integrated weight BCD, reg set, all that.

One is just like another.

For Rescue Class, do not show up in anything other than that like BPW or weight belt, it throws off your paired training partner. (Unless it’s all agreed upon and worked-out in advance)

If you want to take the Rescue course, and you don't see your circumstances justifying buying all your gear, why wait? I took the Rescue course while I was on a year-long backpacking trip, and I rented gear not just for the course but for lots of other diving as well.

If you are diving once or twice a year, it seems you are taking on expense and time in a rescue diver course.

My suggestion: spend your time and money gaining more general practical diving experience.

But I am not you, so I'll answer the question you actually posted: no it does not fundamentally matter if you use your gear or rental. You'd probably be more comfortable in your own gear, but only after a lot (100+) of dives with it for it to realistically matter.

Do what makes you happiest.

Better Rescue in rental gear than not taking Rescue.
^^^ This

As @Doc mentioned most rental gear, gear in general, is generic. I suspect you'll be fairly comfortable in the rental gear by the time the course has been completed. If you're taking the course through your favorite shop or instructor you may know the gear already.

I know you didn't ask this question but you should price out exactly how much it costs to rent a full kit multiple times a year. Maybe I've just gone with expensive shops but after renting for 2 trips it made zero sense not to buy my own equipment even if I'm only diving 2-3x a year. Rental gear is expensive and rarely maintained as well as you will maintain your own gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom