emergency O2 Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using a low pressure cylinder presents trade-offs. Low pressure cylinders hold significantly less oxygen for their size. The recommended protocol for DCI is to provide oxygen at the highest concentration possible until the injured diver is turned over to EMS. This typically requires a significant amount of oxygen. A low pressure oxygen cylinder of sufficient size might start to get unwieldy.

Manually triggered ventilation is included in the DAN Advanced Oxygen First Aid course.

A deco bottle with 100% oxygen could certainly be used for a conscious injured diver. For an unconscious but breathing diver, it could still be used if someone holds the regulator in place and blocks the nose. For a non-breathing injured diver, either rescue breaths or manually triggered ventilations would be required. Rescue breaths with oxygen is typically done with something like the pocket mask, which does not routinely mate with a scuba regulator. It might be possible to provide manually triggered ventilations using a scuba regulator if the back pressure of the exhaust valve is sufficient.

I’ll stick with my standard DAN unit (approximately 2000 psi).

There's always an emergency O2 Kit (DAN) in the 4Runner when we're shore diving.
Both my wife and I are trained O2 providers.

When the kit isn't in the 4Runner the demand valve is sometimes set up on the K
cylinder of ABO in the garage -- our own oxygen bar :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom