Emergency oxygen: non-rebreather mask just as good as demand valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anytime possible when I'm diving I bring an extra O2 cylinder and regulator. If I feel like I need it, I can breathe O2 the whole drive home.

In the long run, you'll be best served being able to get O2 fills at any dive shop.

My background is in Emergency Care. In Canada I was a Paramedic in charge of running an Ambulance station and the training/assessment of the crew. When I moved to OZ I went into training full time for 16 years until my recent retirement.

In Oz basic providers are not trained to "assist vents" by delivering O2 to a breathing patient with pressure timed to their breathing. This is a protocol that would be highly valuable in the event of Immersion Pulmonary Edema.

I agree that the use of a BVM requires some training but have observed MANY people able to learn the skill. Over the years I have taught many students to use it in Advanced Resuscitation and Advance Life Support Courses here. I always have one in the boot of my car because the benefit of course is that you don't need to attach O2 (I really don't like having a cylinder in my car all the time. In a resus event with BVM and no reservoir or O2 attached we can deliver 21% (atmospheric O2 rather than approx 16% they would get in expired air. Other bonus is the reduced risk of infectious transfer.

My O2 system is in a Pelican case.. two small cylinders, with a regulator able to be used as MTV. The MTV has a pressure release valve to prevent over-inflation of the lungs. It also has a valve to allow me to use anything from nasal prongs to Nonrebreather mask. It cost me $2K and worth every penny on each occasion I have used it. I also have an AED. These are all in the car when we do shore dives and when we drive to a site where we do boat dives I have never had a captain anything but happy to put them in a safe place on board just in case. I dive with my hubby and a group of good friends... all of them are worth the money I spent on the equipment. In truth I will still consider it money well spent if I never have to use it on someone again! I guess it is all about priorities and resources at your disposal.

Note on the pulse oxometer... remember the readings you get on cold fingers/toes/earlobes will not be accurate due to vascular constriction.

bit late to this game, but am redoing my emergency O2 stuff right now, and the thread isn't that old.

@Beau640 the demand valves in question are typically used with pocket masks, so they plug into the same hole that the bag would. They come out of the DISS port on oxygen regulators. Three types as mentioned. Standard demand, no purge button. Purge button *not in use anymore*, and the MTV-100 which doesn't actually have an OPV, but it will actually shut off the flow of gas if it sense backpressure. It doesn't take a whole lot to get it to cut off. The demand valve/MTV-100 is nice for conscious patients because they are a lot smaller and less awkward than a non-rebreather for short uses, but do have to get held in place which is slightly annoying.
Part of the reasons hospitals don't use them is because it's typically much more convenient to just have the O2 lines run around at lower pressures than the 50psi that the regulators need and have it come out of the barbs with flow meters on them. Much cheaper and more convenient to just plug a new soft hose onto the barb than screwing regulators around and maintaining them for minimal benefit. They are also on massive o2 bank systems so you aren't really concerned about wasting it. On a dive boat or even in a vehicle, you are limited in how much you can take with you. People will typically be breathing between 7-12 liters/minute, so to save that amount of O2 can be pretty significant in extending the time that they are on O2.

@DustyC for the demand valves being banned, it's important to differentiate which ones are really not safe. The standard purge button ones that aren't MTV-100's really do need to be banned due to over-expansion injuries, and I haven't seen one in use. They are far too easy to overinflate someones lungs and cause serious damage.

The standard demand valves are fine because you can only trigger them by inhaling. The inconvenience here is if the patient stops breathing, you have to remove that and switch to a BVM so the benefit isn't really there.

The MTV-100's have the shut-off, and I find are much better than the bag valves, just not cheap. The auto-shutoff triggers really fast and with hardly any backpressure. If you have someone in your area with one in a DAN kit, go try it out, it's pretty slick. It's probably impractical in an EMS situation since BVM's are very inexpensive and they're trained to use them properly, but I truly believe the risk of a lung overexpansion injury is much lower with an MTV-100 vs a BVM, especially in marginally trained O2 administrators.

For most divers, I really have to say that having medical O2 kits is just not worth it. I'm 99% with @PfcAJ on this one. The odds of you having someone that isn't breathing and needs to be resuscitated is extremely small, so better to have a setup ready to go. For divers, I think every diver that is serious should really get AN/DP and DAN O2 admin. Even with DAN O2 admin, you should be able to get dive cylinders filled with O2 with most shops.
Whether you plan on doing decompression dives or not, the knowledge gained in that class as well as the ability to get O2 is well worth it. With this, you can keep an AL40 of O2 around and if the diver is conscious, have a demand valve to breathe on at the surface, or do your safety stops on O2. If you put an LPI on there and invest in something like the RescuEAN ($95) you can also use a non-rebreather mask or BVM and have a continuous flow of O2 for hands free use/unconscious diver use. The added benefit with the RescuEAN is even if you exhaust your O2 supply, you can keep them on Nitrox which is always better than air.

@CuzzA That setup above is about $300, and the masks are the same as you'd need on any O2 kit. The difference here is you have a setup that you can take in the water with you and is scalable without needing any special tanks/regulators or adapters. The RescuEAN is going to be much better for what you have talked about compared to having a DIN-NPT-CGA540/870 valve adapter contraption. Just take your O2 regulator, put a LPI on it and call it a day.

We don't even add supplemental oxygen for a patient until they're below 94% (that'll vary with different protocols from different med control)
Hypoxia is not why we put them on %100 O2. Yeah, others have pointed this out, but it bears repeating. It bears repeating.

I just read through this thread for the first time and while there's a lot of interesting stuff to ponder, most of it doesn't apply to the OP:
DAN has defined the "standard of care" for DCI first aid as the provision of oxygen using a demand valve.
I own two traditional O2 kits and will trot them out for an O2 Provider's class. However, they never go diving with me. Why?
  • I carry several cylinders of %100 O2 deco gas with regs already attached in Vanessa.
    • They are easily and quickly deployed
    • They serve a dual purpose
    • They are easily refilled with no questions asked
  • There are no stigmas attached to using deco O2
    • Easier to get past their denial
    • There's no appearance of me being a medico
    • I self medicate with O2 any time I feel overly fatigued, again: no questions asked
  • Obviously compromised divers need more than just O2
    • Avoid denial and initiate EMS ASAP
    • Make them comfortable
    • Monitor their health & breathing
    • Initiate BLS if needed
    • This applies doubly for non-responsive or unconscious divers: INITIATE EMS ALREADY!!!

Note on the pulse oxometer... remember the readings you get on cold fingers/toes/earlobes will not be accurate due to vascular constriction.
Don't trust the pulse oxometer if the reading you get disagrees with what the patient looks like.

From a conference presentation: 'So here we have pulse oxometer on a cabbage patch kid doll. It look like he's a little low at 84%. But not too bad for a doll."

I was a paramedic years back and we had pulse ox but we didn't use it or trust it. It is not a reliable vital sign nor is cap refill.

Does anyone make a DIN to med O2 adaptor? So you can put a medical O2 reg on an AL80 full of O2.

no but they're not difficult to make. DIN fill adapter which goes to 1/4" NPT and then a CGA540 or 870 adapter. Can't see any benefit to that with something like that RescuEAN though if you want continuous flow, that way you don't have to waste the time to purge/remove the regulator, then find the medical regulator, attach the din adapter, then attach the medical regulator.
Only reason I could see using that is if using the MTV-100, but if you're doing that for conscious patients, you may as well just have them on a scuba regulator or non-rebreather mask if you're using normal scuba tanks. For unconscious, learn to use a bag valve, or carry a medical o2 bottle

these two bits will get you to CGA-540 which is on the supply bottles. I'm sure there is a CGA870 *pin index* to NPT, but didn't look very hard to find one.
O2 to 1/4" NPT Male
Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded

Does anyone make a DIN to med O2 adaptor? So you can put a medical O2 reg on an AL80 full of O2.
Yes, IIRC they come out of country and last time i looked kinda pricey at well over $100. I haven't looked in a while as I find a scuba reg suits my needs. Search eBay for pin index din oxygen adapter, they used to come up every couple months.

Yes, IIRC they come out of country and last time i looked kinda pricey at well over $100. I haven't looked in a while as I find a scuba reg suits my needs. Search eBay for pin index din oxygen adapter, they used to come up every couple months.

I can't imagine why that would be useful now, but to each his own.
If I were so motivated to do want a medical pin index to scuba, I'd do this. First is I'd find a good machinist and have them take the threads off of the O2 valve and then tap a 1/4" npt into it and just make the fitting. Attach that to a din or yoke fill block, and off you go. CGA540 has adapters already, but the CGA870 pin-index I couldn't find. Didn't look particularly hard, but couldn't find. This method is very common for making bench testers and all sorts of other fill adapters. I have one with a yoke valve on my transfill whip so I can fill both sidemount cylinders off of the same whip. Super convenient things to have btw. I will also be putting a couple more on my bank system so I can attach a compressor to the cascade or directly to the tanks as well as connect my O2 generator to my cascade bottles.
Advantage here is you could fill scuba tanks from an oxygen whip. If you have CGA870 whips from large supply bottles, it's a worthwhile endeavor

Better solution IMHO if you just want to be able to use a medical oxygen reg on a scuba tank, you could just adapt the medical regulator to a DIN block and go straight in. Basically remove the CGA-540 on there, put a male-male NPT nipple on there, and for like $80 you are good to go. The reg below doesn't have as much flow as I would like since it tops out at 15lpm, but it does have a DISS port so you can put an MTV-100 or demand regulator on there. It does mean having an extra O2 regulator, but if you're going to use a standard medical regulator on a scuba valve
https://www.amazon.com/CGA-540-Styl...+oxygen+regulator&refinements=p_85:2470955011
Male Nipple
Din Filler with Screw Bleed - Upgraded

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom