Encounters at the End of the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this film. It was of special interest to me because I was working at the South Pole while Werner Herzog was filming in McMurdo. I liked it, Hezog put more of a spiritual spin on Antarctica, albeit with his sometimes droll narration. It was pretty cool to see a lot of friends being interviewed, like watching home movies!

If you go see it, notice the water visibility during some of the underwater shots. At the beginning of the austral summer (before the algal bloom) the visibility can be in the 100's of feet. It's amazing. I've dive tended for a few groups there where the hut was above about 90-100ft of water. Looking down though the hole in the ice you could see the sea stars on the bottom -- it was like looking through a sheet of glass. (And yes, I've begged to go diving there but never got authorization. Might have to hook up with one of the science groups to make it happen.)

glenn

If the water temp ever gets up to around 70-80 and I can get a free ride down there I might be inclined to dive Antarctica. Otherwise, no deal.

Just saw it, pretty interesting. The ice diving shots were quite amazing. The Wedell Sea is the only place in the ocean where optically pure water has been measure with a Secchi Disk. 98 m (321 feet) I think, and that is straight down.
Anyway, there are a few shots in the movie a long an some ice where you can seemingly see for ever.

Haven't been there myself, but I work with Sam Bowser, the researcher doing the diving in the film(and playing the guitar). He is down there now. I asked him about the viz and he said it was about 800 feet. Hard to measure I guess... Sam has some great footage. Blowing holes in the ice,diving etc. They use air, for some reason Nitrox is difficult to provide down there. They have been trying to install a UW video system that exits through the glacier and will stay active through the winter. Last I heard there was a problem syncing the strobe and shutter.

Sam's work is with foraminifer, single cell creatures with some amazing capabilities. One of his goals is to develop an adhesive similar to what the forams produce. adheres to almost anything and will cure UW at below zero degrees...

He also, in conjunction with a New Zealand artist Claire Beynon, has some very interesting artwork,
Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI) - Art, Science & Technology - Featured Members: May'08
It blends Electron Microscope images with traditional art.

It also has links to Sam's other sites if interested

Back
Top Bottom