ending dives with sharks circling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juardis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I understand diving with sharks doesn't present much of problem while you're down there with them, but it would seem to me that you're most vulnerable and likely to be attacked if you're on the surface. Would that be a correct assumption? Regardless, is there a generally accepted method for ending a dive with sharks present? I would think you'd want to get out of the water as fast as possible.

Things like....
Don't thrash around like a wounded seal?
Don't keep your feet together to make you look like a seal?
Don't stay at your safety stop longer than necessary?
Inflate a submersible marker from depth so the boat can get you quicker if it's a drift dive?

Your "Things like ... " list is very good. Minimize your time at the surface, and make a calm, deliberate, and quick exit to the boat. Also bear in mind that sharks are opportunists, and two or more divers together are a formidable presence. A solo diver might appear more manageable to a shark, not that I would want to personally test the theory.

I understand they're supposed to like urine almost as much as blood, so maybe you shouldn't pee in your suit at the safety stop, either... Especially if it's a dry suit!

I understand they're supposed to like urine almost as much as blood, so maybe you shouldn't pee in your suit at the safety stop, either... Especially if it's a dry suit!

Indeed. But i think they only attack if you piss in a rental or borrowed wetsuit. If it's your own, they don't seem to mind so much. :fishslap:

Shooting your safety sausage from depth is always a desired practice. Do your safety stop under the wave action where you are comfortable.

Do a quick exit? I suppose it all depends upon your perception of the danger. We did a week in the Bahamas this fall and pretty well sucked our tanks dry on the hangbar, enjoying the Sharks as they came by.

I agree, your "things like..." list is pretty good. I would also keep my face in the water and keep an eye on them. If they get too close for comfort, make yourself 'big' (although no quick movements right in front of them)... and if they get closer, hit them/push them away - they will get the message (supposedly they don't like getting hit, they're not used to their food fighting back). Blowing bubbles at them can spook them too.

I did a dive with bull sharks once and the 'creepiest' moment was when we started ascending. Just the visual of 3-4 sharks (there were about 15 total!!) coming vertically straight up from beneath us was quite... let's say,'un-natural' feeling. I was cool with them circling around on the bottom as we headed down, I was also surprisingly very calm when they swam around and even bumped us. It wasn't until the during the ascent where I had my first "ut-oh" moment. ... but it was cool!!!

Not sure if I'd be as calm as eveyone in this thead seems to be. How often do peoble see dangerous sharks during a dive? Just wondering how common it is. Just got my 13yr old son his Basic Cert this last summer, we had planned a dive charter this summer at Myrtle Beach SC but Ireane put a end to that. Any way, we saw tons of shark ads. Sharks this, sharks that, blah blah blah sharks everywhere, well he and his mom just worry worry worry about sharks. Never got to disprove the issue that shark sightings are in my opinoin very rare? Any one care to share their experiences?
Thanks
Dennis

I agree, your "things like..." list is pretty good. I would also keep my face in the water and keep an eye on them. If they get too close for comfort, make yourself 'big' (although no quick movements right in front of them)... and if they get closer, hit them/push them away - they will get the message (supposedly they don't like getting hit, they're not used to their food fighting back). Blowing bubbles at them can spook them too.

I did a dive with bull sharks once and the 'creepiest' moment was when we started ascending. Just the visual of 3-4 sharks (there were about 15 total!!) coming vertically straight up from beneath us was quite... let's say,'un-natural' feeling. I was cool with them circling around on the bottom as we headed down, I was also surprisingly very calm when they swam around and even bumped us. It wasn't until the during the ascent where I had my first "ut-oh" moment. ... but it was cool!!!

Getting bumped by bullsharks was cool? You are either stupid or crazy.....and those traits are not mutually exclusive.

Stay with your buddy, closer the better. Keep an eye on the sharks. If they come in close enough, hit them as hard as you can with whatever you have. You can keep your back to your buddy's helps to protect your rear. Make sure the sharks know you are watching them and if/when they get close, lunge forward for them in an aggressive manner. I swear that screaming for the boat brings them to you on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom