Environmental Police

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I thought it was OK for a officer to inspect things that are open. Like looking into windows or, in this case an open boat. The patting of covered items is probably a simple extension of that idea - search by feel rather than just by sight. But it seems so unnecessary (and dangerous) to do it in such an unannounced manner. In Texas, such a stupid move could lead to a good old gun fight!

Funny I had thought the same thing when they noted the EP was in
the shadows. Sure they can do a visual, but to actually start going through
things? Everywhere I've ever lived that would be stretching the law.
I could be wrong, there may be some areas of the country this is allowed
for law enforcement, maybe they think it falls under the new Homeland
Security Act. Never know they might be hiding a dirty bomb in the catch!

Land Locked:
1st of all thank you for your service!
2nd, I do believe illegal search went out with the Queens law
upon our independence, and this does sound like conduct that
falls under illegal!

Well we actually operate under the rules established by English Common Law, OK Louisiana not you guys but the rest of us. Of course I am just being a wise guy but it is true. The Queens laws have become our laws but not to be outdone we added a bunch of new and improved ones.

Land Locked:

Lobsters in this area are called Homarus americanus (American Lobster) they therefore do not fall under the Homeland Security Threat guidelines. What I never understood is why the Lobsterman and EP or anyone else thinks the average diver would spend oh say thousands of dollars on gear, training, gas, time off work, divorce attorneys (or flowers for the non-diving spouse), air fills, ADB's, boats, etc to steal a lobster from a trap which we can also legally use, or take an illegal lobster. Heck the per pound cost is at this point triple of what I can pay at the supermarket and that is being way generous with the numbers. If I wanted a lobster bad enough to lose my car and gear over it I would just shoplift one fron the market the penalties would be way less. :wink:

ScubaNorth:
Well we actually operate under the rules established by English Common Law, OK Louisiana not you guys but the rest of us. Of course I am just being a wise guy but it is true. The Queens laws have become our laws but not to be outdone we added a bunch of new and improved ones.

There was a certain document set forth to abolish much of the laws that had
been forced upon our for-fathers, but hmmm it is an old document. I think one
was a "Consitution?" and the other "Bill of rights?" I may be wrong though.

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

ScubaNorth:
Lobsters in this area are called Homarus americanus (American Lobster) they therefore do not fall under the Homeland Security Threat guidelines. What I never understood is why the Lobsterman and EP or anyone else thinks the average diver would spend oh say thousands of dollars on gear, training, gas, time off work, divorce attorneys (or flowers for the non-diving spouse), air fills, ADB's, boats, etc to steal a lobster from a trap which we can also legally use, or take an illegal lobster. Heck the per pound cost is at this point triple of what I can pay at the supermarket and that is being way generous with the numbers. If I wanted a lobster bad enough to lose my car and gear over it I would just shoplift one fron the market the penalties would be way less. :wink:

I agree with you totally, I'm just joking with you. The only people that should
be worrying ARE the law breakers. We were pulled over in Key West coming into
dock and his first words were, "Got any catch?" We were clean, he then became
a total jerk and scoured the boat for any trivial violations he could find. But he did
ask and recieved an OK from our captain to come aboard.

awap:
I thought it was OK for a officer to inspect things that are open. Like looking into windows or, in this case an open boat. The patting of covered items is probably a simple extension of that idea - search by feel rather than just by sight. But it seems so unnecessary (and dangerous) to do it in such an unannounced manner. In Texas, such a stupid move could lead to a good old gun fight!
Damn...I have to move to Texas! I thought the MSP had an attitude, but the EP's have them beat by a mile. Sounds like Fish NAZIs to me lol.
I can't imagine they have any special powers of search and siezure that don't apply to other law enforcement departments. Hell, if the FBI needs a warrant or probable cause, seems to me the Enviromental Police should too. But then again, they are an arrogant bunch!

Land Locked:
Nuclear lobsters?

Land Locked:
Shhhh! Be careful what you post here, you know the FBI has your
name from your scuba certification....
http://www.cdnn.info/news/article/a040822.html

Like I said in the original post we were diving within site of the nuclear power plant. The funny thing was the young harbormaster who talked with me asked if that's where we were diving. I'm thinking one of the friendly lobster boats saw us and figured they call in and give the EP a heads up to check us out. Or maybe I'm being paranoid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom