Question Environmentally seal Atomic first stage with Tribolube instead of Christo-Lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to Atomic, Christo-Lube should be used when environmentally sealing their first stages. However, Tribolube is less expensive.

I have only used either lubricant in small quantities, so I don't know how the viscosity of each compares.

What are opinions on using Tribolube 66 in this scenario?

Atomics calls for Christo-lube 111 in their manuals.

The NLGI for Tribolube 71 is 1, while Christo-lube 111 has 1.5. This means Christo-lube 111 is slightly harder.

That being said, I would use the Tribolube 71 without hesitation, it's water washout properties are slightly superior to Christo-lube 111's.

Attachments

• Christo-lube 111 - Data (2021).pdf
    837.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Tribolube 71 - Data (2009).pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 47
I should have read all of your choices instead of jumping the gun.

Tribolube 66 should work just as well. Truth be told you can probably throw in there whatever you want if it's not too outlandish. Whatever you pack it with should be hard to wash-out, be viscous enough to not flow out easily, be compatible with the parts, and be able to transmit pressure. All of your suggestions from above tick these boxes.

Attachments

• Tribolube 66 - Data (2019).pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 52
Tribolube is authorized by the manufacturer as discussed in their technician seminars.
I personally prefer Tribolube-71 over Christolube in any case. That white PTFE film that's impossible to remove from regs? Dried Christolube. Tribolube doesn't do that. While it's not bad for the reg, it's nice to see it completely clean before a service. And as you work with it, it feels different on your fingers than Christolube. A small point, but one more reason...
As for Tribolube 66, I specifically do not use that for my Atomics. While it's a great grease, it separates from its carrier just a bit too much in a static environment like the ambient chamber. Once that oil finds its way out, it's going to be replaced by seawater. It's not much, by volume, but I'd rather not worry for three years.

@MyBuddy , Do you have some expertise that gives you reason to disagree with the Superlube? I can't tell who I'm talking to from your limited profile. I'm not the only one that uses Superlube though.

While Super Lube 41160 does not contain silicone, there is NO mention (unlike Tribolube) of suitability for use with oxygen. Caveat emptor

Attachments

• Technical_Data_Sheet_Multi_Purpose_Grease.pdf
    252.8 KB · Views: 55
  • SDS_Super_Lube_Multi-Purpose_Grease_EN_sds.pdf
    514.6 KB · Views: 54
I'm a bit baffled by this SuperLube to be honest. They give a temperature range of up to 232°C but apparently it's flashpoint is at 220°C. That does not quite add up.

However, it clearly states:
Not for use in a pure oxygen environment.

Just because something has PTFE in it, does not make it fit for oxygen use.

Whilst I'm still waiting for warmer weather so I can put the top down on my car and throw money out
If I am not snorting 100% O2 it's anything foodgradeish with a good thumb to forefinger consistency

Trillobillolubo what a load of bullo

I use so little grease on the Orings, I may as well go back to saliva, that's it next rebuild no grease no

and considering whatever you use is outside the breathing zone
It's silicone for me on all the threads outside the breathing zone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom