Question Environmentally seal Atomic first stage with Tribolube instead of Christo-Lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah! Missed that!
Thanks very much - exactly what I was looking for. (It's on the Technical Data Sheet, pg. 3)
Screenshot_20231220_125906.jpg

It's silicone for me on all the threads outside the breathing zone
Yeah, you make a good point. We get all worked up a lot. On a second stage, who cares? But then, to jump off a dive boat here in the US, you have to move three lawyers out of your way first.
And then there's that guy who nearly blew his hand off testing his CCR MAV on an oxygen valve after removing that pesky OPV because it kept popping off and "wasting his oxygen."

@MyBuddy , Do you have some expertise that gives you reason to disagree with the Superlube? I can't tell who I'm talking to from your limited profile. I'm not the only one that uses Superlube though.
I don’t have any special expertise but I can read.
I see on the compatibility chart that Super Lube 41160 is compatible with materials common in scuba regs so that good, but what I don’t see is anything that indicates Super Lube 41160 is O2 compatible. In fact the MSDS says that it does react with oxidizers. O2 is definitely an oxidizer. Oh wait, the TDS explicitly states, “Not for use in a pure oxygen environment.”

While the ambient chamber isn’t exposed to high percentages of oxygen, the grease packed in there has a habit of squeezing out and getting all over the first stage. It’s not a large leap to assume that the grease can then in turn can get on to the yoke/DIN fitting’s mating surface and then on to tank valves, fill whips and internal parts. Which may not be an issue if the equipment is for air use. However, if the regs or tanks are to be used for deco gasses or if the shop does partial pressure blending it could be an issue since fuel is being introduced into the fire triangle.

Your profile is not much more revealing than my own, what expertise do you have that allows you to assert that Super Lube 41160 is safe for O2 rich environments commonly found in scuba?

Thanks for reminding me, although I haven't had any issues yet on my BUM Breathing Underwater Machine

I'm using this

dx-701314_1a.jpg

where i should hunt down my selection

and swap it out for this

over-pressure-relief-valve.jpg

Where there's far more meat to corrode before it corrodes and become sloppy like the other

"Yeah wasting his oxygen."

found a Mk20 in a box in pieces and a Mk 10 so saliva it will be, or water, maybe glycerine, primary ocean reg

I don’t have any special expertise but I can read.
I see on the compatibility chart that Super Lube 41160 is compatible with materials common in scuba regs so that good, but what I don’t see is anything that indicates Super Lube 41160 is O2 compatible. In fact the MSDS says that it does react with oxidizers. O2 is definitely an oxidizer. Oh wait, the TDS explicitly states, “Not for use in a pure oxygen environment.”

While the ambient chamber isn’t exposed to high percentages of oxygen, the grease packed in there has a habit of squeezing out and getting all over the first stage. It’s not a large leap to assume that the grease can then in turn can get on to the yoke/DIN fitting’s mating surface and then on to tank valves, fill whips and internal parts. Which may not be an issue if the equipment is for air use. However, if the regs or tanks are to be used for deco gasses or if the shop does partial pressure blending it could be an issue since fuel is being introduced into the fire triangle.

Your profile is not much more revealing than my own, what expertise do you have that allows you to assert that Super Lube 41160 is safe for O2 rich environments commonly found in scuba?
There you go. Now you're contributing to an actual discussion.

Sorry but where did the OP say anything about O2 clean. If he did put me in the corner. Can an ambient chamber ever truly be O2 clean?

There you go. Now you're contributing to an actual discussion.

Sorry but where did the OP say anything about O2 clean. If he did put me in the corner. Can an ambient chamber ever truly be O2 clean?
He didn’t explicitly exclude it either. Also his intentions for the reg doesn’t consider cross contamination issues.

Who cares if an ambient chamber is O2 clean, if it was a MK25 it wouldn’t really matter since whatever’s going on in its unsealed ambient chamber is unlikely to contaminate other parts of the reg.

I also have to point out that posting an Amazon link is hardly a conversation in and of itself.

I stand corrected about Atomic's recommendation to only use Christo-Lube. I now see in the training materials that Tribolube is also acceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom