Eon Steel Lockup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afdgf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On my last dive of the trip, my eon steel locked up. I can understand the notion of locking up in the first place, however there are two issues with this. 1. The computer will not start the 24-hour time to get on the airplane until the entire 48 hours of lockup has ended. This results in 72 hours after lockup before you can fly. If the computer locks up and you do not dive anymore that trip, then there is no reason why you would need 72 hours before you can fly. You would still only need 24 hours. This 72 hour hold before flying is bad programming and should be changed. There is no way that Suunto can justify a 72 hold before flying in this case. 2. The dive that locked up did not download and it was not possible to obtain any information about it either during the locked period or afterward. If this dive had led to a trip to the doctor, then having the information about the locked-up dive would be very useful information for the doctor in treating the case. Suunto is doing a major disservice by not providing the information about the dive or even being able to download it so that the diver could learn from their mistakes.

Suuntos are renowned for their annoying lockups. One wonders if the designers actually dive; probably some ridiculous pointy haired boss being a knobber.

Anyway, you need to leave a few hours between diving and flying so you don't get bent on the airplane's reduced pressure atmosphere.

The Suunto can be packed in your hold baggage as it's talking nonsense when locked up.

Leave at least a day if doing decompression diving (i.e. leave a whole day between diving and flying) or the next day for shallower diving.

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. The dive that locked up did not download and it was not possible to obtain any information about it either during the locked period or afterward. If this dive had led to a trip to the doctor, then having the information about the locked-up dive would be very useful information for the doctor in treating the case. Suunto is doing a major disservice by not providing the information about the dive or even being able to download it so that the diver could learn from their mistakes.
Quiet ridiculous implementation by Sunnto. I thought lockout was the bad enough … but one could review what one did wrong later after uploading the dive to the app. This is a new nasty surprise to me.

Apart from venting frustrations ( which you have every right to) I suggest that you write to Sunnto about this deficiency outlining the reasons why having dive data is critical. I wonder whether these design decisions were implemented unknown to Dr. Wienke who just contributed his Maths and Scientific skills while in the dark as to how Sunnto developers conceptualised these wonky features of Sunnto DCs…

On my last dive of the trip, my eon steel locked up.
As an admitted and happy user of the eon steel for close to 190 rec and "lite" deco dives, I would appreciate learning what not to do by seeing the dive profile that caused this. My buddy with over 2000 dives on a steel, and me with some small experience with steel, have never been even close to this purported "lockout" that happens with a normal safe dive profile.

How about a screen shot from subsurface or DM5? Without some proof that the diver followed a safe profile and got locked out, I‘m suggesting this story is BS. Patiently waiting to be proven wrong.

If a recreational diver with 100+ dives has so little skill or training that they follow a significantly unsafe profile, I see no problem with the computer refusing to support them on the next dive. Further, after this unsafe profile, if they aren’t sure when they can fly after the incident, it may make sense to consult DAN vs. expecting the computer to help.

Edit to add: this is a rec diving oriented response. It completely makes sense for technical or advanced deco diving to plan your dive with an open source algorithm and know that you and your tech diving partners are all using identical algorithms. For everyone else that’s a rec diver getting excited about some conjecture or well meaning but incorrect statements on what a computer does or doesn’t do, you may find more like minded companions on Facebook.

Hi @afdgf

This event was pretty well discussed in the computer thread Scubapro G2 v. Shearwater Perdix AI v. Suunto Eon Steel It was the consensus that you likely missed a decompression stop for more than 3 minutes to put you into algorithm lock. Suunto EON Steel - Features - Algorithm lock Either that, or your computer malfunctioned.

You're correct, you don't need your computer to tell you your no-fly time, there are guidelines for that. If I thought I missed a deco stop, I would probably give it >24 hours if I could

In about 2,100 dives over 20 years, I have never put any of my Oceanic computers into violation gauge mode. About 5% of my dives are light deco. I have broken the ceiling a couple of times, once on purpose, to see how it is handled. In this case, you have 5 minutes to descend below the ceiling, pay a penalty, and then clear the stop. The computer stays in normal dive mode. Though I have not experienced it, if you miss the stop by more than 5 minutes, you enter delayed violation. The computer will still provide information to complete deco but will enter violation gauge mode 5 min after surfacing. Violation gauge mode lasts 24 hours, out of the water. As I have never tried, I don't know for sure if you can view the log and download the dive. However, I believe that you can as the user's manual states that only Set F, Plan, Fly, and Sat are disabled. Of course, as others have said, my second computer, a Teric, does not lock out.

It's too bad, but I don't think Suunto participates in the manufacturers forum. If you get a reply from Suunto, please share it with us. The fact that there is a lock is not the problem. Not giving you deco information seems potentially quite dangerous, you've already missed a stop for at least 3 min. I'm surprised you could not view the log or download the dive, potentially valuable information in treatment. Was that dive permanently missing/deleted from your log and download, the dive number simply not there? That seems quite bizarre.

Take care

Thank you for your reply. As far as I can tell, this dive is completely totally missing and I cannot download it using either DM5 or the new Suunto software. It does not show up in either. All of the other dives were downloaded. Yes, as I have stated, I completely missed the deco stop entirely as the second time I went up I was concerned for my wife and whether she was OK and I was completely ignoring myself because I was only concerned for my wife at that point. She went straight up back to the boat and did not do her safety stop which is partially why i was worried about her. So I went straight up to be with her. I would really like to see the dive profile on the computer, but the dive that caused the lockup itself seems to be completely missing. The lockup was 48 hours and not 24 hours. This was our first time diving in 2.5 years as we cancelled several trips due to covid, so this was sort of a "shakedown cruise" as the navy terms it. I guess the moral of the story is that everyone learns the hard way and not the easy way. I will be much more careful in the future, even in shallow water, although I may still put myself at risk to protect my wife.

Hi @afdgf

How about downloading and sharing your wife's profile. I would imagine that the two would be reasonably similar, with the exception of your BC bounce.
Funny you should post that. I was just thinking that myself. My wife just rushed off to work, but she said that she was able to download the dive. She remembers it being 22'-23' depth and no more than 14 minutes in time. I will try to get a screenshot when she gets home tonight and see what it looks like. Thank you. I guess I will have to write Suunto in Finland.

Funny you should post that. I was just thinking that myself. My wife just rushed off to work, but she said that she was able to download the dive. She remembers it being 22'-23' depth and no more than 14 minutes in time. I will try to get a screenshot when she gets home tonight and see what it looks like. Thank you. I guess I will have to write Suunto in Finland.
I can't imagine how you could possibly go into deco with that profile, look forward to seeing it

Apparently, you can chat with Suunto in English Mon-Fri Customer support – Contact information for Suunto support

I can't imagine how you could possibly go into deco with that profile, look forward to seeing it

Apparently, you can chat with Suunto in English Mon-Fri Customer support – Contact information for Suunto support
There was no staff person available when I tried to chat. It turns out that if you get the new Buhlman algorishm upgrade to the Suunto, that it will not lock out. Instead it just gives you a message that you exceeded the ceiling. You can only get the upgrade by shipping the computer to the regional service center. If your computer is more than 2 years old, then there will be a service charge for them to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom