Equalizing Issues for Younger Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenzel Manuever and BTV/VTO are advanced equalization techniques that I wouldn't recommend trying to wrap a kids head around. Toynbee is a good light one but only equalizes in very small increments. You also can't swallow in quick repetitions which means very slow descents which just doesn't happen in OW with a big class. Don't trust a kid to single himself out of the class, on the down line, just to finish equalizing properly. Heck I didn't do that in my OW either and I was 20.

Children are very good at isolating air valves unconsiously, IMO.
By chance did the instructor use the term "blow your nose"? Because I find that sets a kid up for failure.

Tell your kids to pinch their nose and lightly blow air just behind their mouth.

Telling a kid to blow their nose or blow their nose hard will often make them close up their airway and really shunt off their mouth. Usually their tongue then blocks the Eustachian tubes. Add that to the tonsil's size being biggest near the ages of puberty (10-16) and you effectively shut off any way of equalizing for the young ones.

Sometimes you will have to remind them to keep the back of their tongue off the roof of their mouth. In which case tell them to yawn with their mouth closed.

dundjinx-I have recently been dealing with 2 people with "equalisation" issues.
One adult and one my 11 year old son.
In both cases it was 100% caused by intense nervousness.It was a nice easy calm boat dive with the boat in 25 feet of clear water
THAT was the problem.I took them to the line. They looked down and their jaw went rigid.
There was no way they were going to equalise.
In that case we swam to shore on the surface and then swam out on the bottom.we were down to the mooring at 25 feet in 5 minutes and they had relaxed.

Incidently with the boy I played games-stupid kid games. -paper,rock,sizers. Catch with a fist sized rock etc. he was having so much fun he forgot to be tense and clear ears.

Im not for a second saying the people posting before me are wrong.But try equalising with your teeth jammed together hard and a rigid jaw. bet ya can't do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom