Equalizing?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to what everyone has already said, the biggest of these suggestions being equalize early and often (equalize while your sitting at the surface and then as soon as your head gets below water), here is my suggestion:

When I started diving, I was having trouble clearing my ears. I did a river dive where the max depth was 20' or so and was hurting. I also had trouble in the pool, but always managed to blow hard and get my ears to equalize (not suggested!). However, one day I started using a hood.

When I wear the hood and equalize early and often; I have no problem whatsoever. When I do not wear the hood, while still equalizing early and often, its normally not a very good situation. Try getting a $20 hood and wearing it every time you dive (even though it will get a little hot during surface intervals during the summer). I asked some of my friends at my LDS why the hood helps and they said its possibly because it keeps a lot of the weight and pressure off your ear and just allows a small layer of water on it. I do not know and no one could say for certain as none of us are scientists, however, I know it works for me and it has worked for a couple other people I have suggested it to.

Worth a try! Hope you get it figured out!

Caleb

Try jutting your lower jaw forward as you descend. This is the method I use and it works everytime.

Another thing to try is to go to your local health food store and buy a couple of ear cadles. They will help out alot. It sucks all of the wax out of your ear ad if you cut it open after your done you will be amazed at what will come out.

fisherdvm:
I can not see how this will help with middle ear barotrauma. It certainly can help with swimmer's ear or otitis externa... Will someone explain this to me??

To be honest i dont know if it does or not. I think its more in her head since she dont have water in her ear but, im no expert.

Me and fiance both had a a little trouble she already had a ear infection and it caused her ear drum to get a tear it healed and we went to do our open water checkout and our lds told us about some vented ear plugs we used them and made us both equalize alot easier it was great the run around 15 dollars a great fix she was able to complete all five dives no problem and she still had a partial tear they said it was closed 90% but the doctor said she could dive good luck

Thanks a lot everybody. I hope my ear clears up by next week's pool dive and next month Im off to Tioman Islands (East of Malaysia).

Cheers!

First you want to learn what to do and then practice it.
It gets easier with knowlege and experience.
When I first started diving I had trouble equalizing and after a few years could often equalize without touching my nose. In a full face mask or helmet I can nearly always equalize without using my hands.

Go to;
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/index.html

and watch the streaming video,
"Streaming Video Lecture
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"
Scuba diving and snorkeling can be fun ways to explore the depths - especially if you can clear your ears as the pressure changes. In this video lecture Dr. Edmond Kay discusses techniques for preventing middle ear barotrauma. Learn what to do to equalize pressure in your ears, teach others proper techniques and learn the safest way to prevent "ear squeeze". This talk was recorded live in September, 2000 and is now available for Internet viewing over the University's video portal (broadband only)."

Back
Top Bottom