Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great advice I'll try some of these next time I dive. I had none dive related ear pain for over a year and in Aug 07 had trouble with equilizing my right ear. Last year, a doc told me the pain was a result of TMJ. I don't grind at night, but have realized when stressed I grit my teeth. Work and marriage got the best of me I guess.

Regardless, all is well now and I should be good to go.

Great advice I'll try some of these next time I dive. I had none dive related ear pain for over a year and in Aug 07 had trouble with equilizing my right ear. Last year, a doc told me the pain was a result of TMJ. I don't grind at night, but have realized when stressed I grit my teeth. Work and marriage got the best of me I guess.

Regardless, all is well now and I should be good to go.

in that order?
sorry, just kidding...

all good stuff

here's a site that has numerous ways (some of which have already been mentioned here) to prevent "middle ear barotrauma":

Prevention of Middle Ear Barotrauma

it's a pretty good site with a brief overview of anatomy and a section at the end where you can find more info

good luck! and may your pressure always be equal :D

I think this must be one of the most common concerns of new divers. I too had lots of trouble with it. For me, I found that there's not always a "pop". As soon as my ears get wet, I start, hold my nose, gentle blow, keep going, repeat, if it feels like any pressure, that's when I make sure I feel the "pop". For me, it helps to tilt my head back a bit, while doing the hold nose and gentle blow.

Don't blow too hard though in an effort to make them "pop"... that will hurt too.

Don't worry, I promise, it does get easier...

Happy Bubbles...

Becky

Just go slow and take your time. I had problems at first, pinched too hard on my nose and blew too hard and came out of the pool looking like Rudolph. If you descend feet first and clear every couple of feet just to get used to the feel..that should help.

good luck

I had severe problems during my OW. Now I equalize before I get in the water and very often in the water. When in doubt, I use 24-hour Afrin, which seems to help.

(Interestingly, it doesn't matter which kind of Afrin, as they are all the same except for the label.)

--Peter

Back
Top Bottom