equipment configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beche de mer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking a dive vacation in February and I'd be interested to hear what sort of equipment configuration people would advise.

It's a live-aboard in tropical waters and the dives will be a mixture of multi-level coral dives and deep flat-bottomed dives (WW2 wrecks), during which we'll be exceeding non-deco limits. Taking doubles is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

You're going to be doing deco dives without doubles on a liveaboard, supposedly in the middle of nowhere, and you don't know what equipment you should have??

I would suggest you reevaluate your trip to begin with, along with your training level, unless I'm missing something here. Your profile doesn't help much, but just asking this says alot.

Have you done any deco dives? Do you have any training for this type of diving? I also wonder strongly about a liveaboard that would even contemplate this on an apparently recreational dive group.

Luck and Trust both in good doses.

Forgive me for saying it, but it's true.

Exceeding deco times on a single tank is one thing. PLANNING on exceeding deco times on a single tank is STUPID!

Dumb, DUMB, DUMB.

Beche - I know you're smarter than this. What's the story - why would you even consider something like this?

Doubles are not an option, but carrying small stage bottles is. Just interested in peoples thoughts.

Tell us a bit more about your dive experience.

This just seems like an accident waiting to happen...a recreational liveaboard promoting decompression diving to those who are uncertified, untrained and unequipped to do so. Man, the next thing you know they'll promote something like using large metal hooks to anchor yourself to the reef in heavy current or something...oh yeah...some of these outfits do that too.

Step 1.) Find a new liveabord
Step 2.) If you are interested in deco diving...get the training
Step 3.) Plan a deco dive trip with a group/company who actually knows what they are doing.

beche de mer once bubbled...
I'm taking a dive vacation in February and I'd be interested to hear what sort of equipment configuration people would advise.

It's a live-aboard in tropical waters and the dives will be a mixture of multi-level coral dives and deep flat-bottomed dives (WW2 wrecks), during which we'll be exceeding non-deco limits. Taking doubles is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like somebody is heading to Truk?
  • Get the training. We're both going to get flamed for this, but a deep air course (or extended range or deco procedures or whatever) will serve you well.
  • Make sure your computer won't lock you out for violating deco. You really need to be able to keep track of where you're at and with a bunch of repetitive deco dives you don't want your computer to go out on strike.
  • Take an extra computer or, better yet, bottom timer. Keep track of every dive.
  • Take an extra dose of caution. You're pushing well past recreational limits and the penalty for making a mistake goes way up. Watch the narcosis monster and, above all else, plan each dive and stick ruthlessly to that plan.
Otherwise, pack as you would for any warm-water liveaboard. Have fun!

Steven

reefraff once bubbled...

Sounds like somebody is heading to Truk?
  • Get the training. We're both going to get flamed for this, but a deep air course (or extended range or deco procedures or whatever) will serve you well.
Otherwise, pack as you would for any warm-water liveaboard. Have fun!

Steven

IMO the training without the equipment, precautions, and support is not much good.

I would also add to make sure your DAN insurance is paid up!

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom