Rebreathers and Rotator cuffs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, normally people ask me medical questions here, but today I’m looking for help for myself.

I had a skiing injury in January, tore my right rotator cuff. Had the repair in February. This is a BRUTAL recovery, much longer and more difficult than I imagined. But I’m making slow progress with my range of motion in physical therapy (my PT is terrific).

I was really looking forward to getting back in the water this season. I had no problems in my single tank gear in the pool. I finally got some cells for my JJ, and I put it together yesterday. Had fun setting it up, adjusting the IP on the regs, etc…. All good to go! I got in the pool, and realized that I can’t reach the O2 valve. UGH.

So I’m looking for specific rotator cuff and valve advice from anyone who has gone through this. Yes, I will continue to work with PT and I’m hoping that it will happen for later in the season, but who knows. I may never get there.

Options at this point are:

1) Figure out the weighting for a single tank rig. I hate diving dry with a single tank, because even with a second backplate and a weighted ST adapter for the backplate, I still need a lot of weight. But I will try doing this for the near future, and hopefully get in the water for a dive with some sort of slung pony (40 or 80).

2) Get rid of the JJ and find some sort of CCR that doesn’t require the valves to be in the standard inverted position. Yes, I know about the GUE de-inverted configuration, but I can’t reach there either. Tried with a set of doubles, which used to be my backup when I didn’t have cells, but I can’t really reach the right valve on doubles either. Could probably reach the isolator with my left hand, but doesn’t seem like a great option.

3) Find another hobby. I used to say “take up golf” but I don’t think that I could even do that at this point..

I had my shoulder reconstructed after an MTB accident several years ago. I found the missing ingredient to get full range of motion back was strength training specific small muscle groups. Going on ten years and I still need to make sure I do these exercises.

Might be time to go sidemount. Easier on the shoulders, and on the back...

Yeah, was thinking of that. But I really don't like the loop coming from the side like that - I have a buddy who dives a liberty. I guess you can get used to anything!

I had my right rotator cuff repaired Jan 24 (supraspinatus full thickness tear). My injury was a waterskiing injury (I ski competitively).

Yes the recovery is brutal, this is my second time. But I'm already biking 8-12 miles / day, 60 pushups / day, 80 situps / day and when I can some modified dips.

I'm probably 1 month away from skiing again, so I would assume you'll be good to go by end of July.

Good luck in the rest of recovery, I've already turned the corner

Thanks! That is encouraging. It's mainly this limitation of reaching the valve. I mean, I have no problem with Peloton, being generally active etc... it's just this one little maneuver that seems to primarily be a problem with diving a backmount CCR or a set of doubles...

Oh yeah, totally get it - theres still plenty I cant do. stick with your PT, your assigned homework and add your own when you can. My right arm is close to the same size as my left (it atrophied really bad!!!)

Hang in there with the PT. When I had my rotator cuff surgery it took me almost a year to get 95% of my range of motion back. Shoulder surgery is the worst to recover from. I can reach the valves on an inverted backmount CCR no problem but have difficulty with manifolded doubles. Don,t let your insurance determine how much PT you need. A good a physical therapist will help fight for more more sessions. I had 70% recovery in the first 3 months but it took 5 more months and a better physical therapist to get the next 25%.

Hang in there with the PT. When I had my rotator cuff surgery it took me almost a year to get 95% of my range of motion back. Shoulder surgery is the worst to recover from. I can reach the valves on an inverted backmount CCR no problem but have difficulty with manifolded doubles.

One more reason not to set up the JJ in the GUE configuration! :D

Don,t let your insurance determine how much PT you need. A good a physical therapist will help fight for more more sessions. I had 70% recovery in the first 3 months but it took 5 more months and a better physical therapist to get the next 25%.

Thanks!

Hang in there with the PT. When I had my rotator cuff surgery it took me almost a year to get 95% of my range of motion back. Shoulder surgery is the worst to recover from. I can reach the valves on an inverted backmount CCR no problem but have difficulty with manifolded doubles. Don,t let your insurance determine how much PT you need. A good a physical therapist will help fight for more more sessions. I had 70% recovery in the first 3 months but it took 5 more months and a better physical therapist to get the next 25%.

I would agree with all of that but your insurance also dictates how many they cover. The reason I did my procedure in January was so that the deductible was covered and all of the PT was free.

Each session is roughly $100.

Either way, if you need to, reduce the # of sessions to 2 a week instead of 3 and save the sessions in case u have another problem that requires it.

And yes, the shoulder recovery is a 2 yr setback for an aging athlete like me (54). I did not waterski a tournament in 2020 and was limited to longer rope lengths and slower speeds (32 vs 34 mph).

I was skiiing the best of last 20 yrs in 2021/2022 before my crash and burn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom