equipment insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron:
They wanted some sort of proof of it's value, they said a quote from a LDS would work and they needed to see the equipment. I'd imagine as I buy more gear, I would update the policy, when I get the stuff together and go sign the policy, I'll ask about airline coverage.

Thanks

I'll let ya'll know what happens when I get the policy written, what my deductable would be and such...

I checked with my State Farm agent, and if I claim it on my Homeowners policy, I am subject to a $1,000 deductible. However, I can add my scuba gear under a separate policy as sports equipment (like golf clubs), and $3,000 worth of coverage, with no deductible, is only 53.70 per year. This would at least get through the lost/stolen/crushed during the travel losses. Check with your insurance agent and see what they can do for you.

We insured checked bags with the airline on our first dive trip back when we were more paranoid. I think it got a special tag and I got the sense it might get treated a little nicer and be less likely to get lost to make sure they didn't have to pay out. I don't know if such a tag would make it more or less likely to lose stuff from a bag. ANybody working for an airline have any thoughts on insuring bags wiht the airlines?

Puck, what insurance company do you use? Just curious cuz my homeowners insurance covers my equipment through my ho policy w/no add'tl deductable & does cover it for every scenerio w/the exception of when in the air carriers care. Would love to have a seperate policy just for when it is in the airliner's care.

ScubaCatgirl:
Puck, what insurance company do you use? Just curious cuz my homeowners insurance covers my equipment through my ho policy w/no add'tl deductable & does cover it for every scenerio w/the exception of when in the air carriers care. Would love to have a seperate policy just for when it is in the airliner's care.

State Farm, coverage is an add-on (maybe not a policy but a rider), for special equpment/items. I paid a littel extra for the same kind of thing for a very valuable stamp collection from my Great Grandfather, because it is specialized and so much more valuable than everything else in my house put together. I will investigate limits of coverage for the gear when in the hands of the carrier, dive boats, hotels, etc.

bperrybap:
There are several good dive equipment insurance companies.
I use the one promoted by DAN.
SennDunn
~$100/year covers about $3800 of gear and covers
camera flooding as well.

You can go to their website to get details and a quote.

--- bill

I understand they only serve DAN members living in the US. Anyone know where non-US residents can get such insurance? :huh:

wunat:
I understand they only serve DAN members living in the US. Anyone know where non-US residents can get such insurance? :huh:

You might want to check out this insurance company.
http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/

Here's another insurance company you could check out. Let me know what you think. http://www.diveinsurance.com/dp/DP-index.htm

Puck -- Thank you so much for your info & yes, I'd love to know the limits, etc. :blinking:

Back
Top Bottom