Equipment Packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTommy

Reaction score
# of dives
Howdy Folks!

I'm looking to start my certification her in the next month or so and I want to get a leg up on some of the stuff I will need in advance. The LDS where I will be taking my course offers student package deals for the begining necessary gear. The packages range from Platinum to Bronze, 369.99 thru 139.99 respectively. From what I can see the major difference in the packages are name brands and a few small items ( marking paint and defog drops, and a "free" Edge gear bag). I was wondering how do you folks feel on these "packages" and where can I find reviews on the different components of the packages? I'm am willing to pay the higher price for the equipment if its worth it, but price does not always reflect quality. Thanks in advance for info!

Tommy

Dennis-

Thanks for link! However, since this will be my first purchase of any type of gear i would much prefer to buy it from the LDS where they can help to make sure everything is the correct fit. AsI get more comfortable and know what I do and don't like, sizes, etc. I will probably look more into online ordering for cheaper prices. It's the whole comfort level thing for me at the moment. I would hate to order something online thinking its the right type, size, etc. get it and its wrong or doesn't fit correctly.

Tommy

Get what they say you have to get. Go on your OW then see what others use. Try out some of the gear everyone else bought and go from there. Some LDS owners will really push thier gear and some wont allow you in thier pool with out it. such a small price sounds like your just getting mask and fins. You dont need fancy defog tooth paste works just fine.

bought my first gear from oceanrealm.com she will work with you call cathy great prices dont think they will be beat and top notch customer service

AquaTommy:
Howdy Folks!

I'm looking to start my certification her in the next month or so and I want to get a leg up on some of the stuff I will need in advance. The LDS where I will be taking my course offers student package deals for the begining necessary gear. The packages range from Platinum to Bronze, 369.99 thru 139.99 respectively. From what I can see the major difference in the packages are name brands and a few small items ( marking paint and defog drops, and a "free" Edge gear bag). I was wondering how do you folks feel on these "packages" and where can I find reviews on the different components of the packages? I'm am willing to pay the higher price for the equipment if its worth it, but price does not always reflect quality. Thanks in advance for info!

Tommy

Hello Tommy;

Welcome and good luck with your certification process.

My suggestion would be to buy the best equipment that you can reasonably afford. However, only buy what you have to buy at first. Then, rent some stuff for a little while, while you get some experience. You will get to try some different stuff and find what you like or don't like.

I agree that buying from your LDS is a good idea. They will be a good source of info and service.

TOM

I agree with CrawlfishDiver. Get only what you need now (bare minimum) - mask, snorkel, booties and fins. You can rent most of them even after you're certified. If you can, ask to try the shop's gear in the pool or try on other divers' personal gear (look for other friendly, helpful divers/dive professionals in your town, buy them a drink/meal afterward for their help). If the dive shop pushes you to buy reg, BCD, compputer etc, go somewhere else for your certification - they only want your $$.
Without knowing what's in each package, I can't tell what is good or not. Check out this website for gear reviews:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear
Good luck.

Thae packages are just the basics i need for the course mask, snorkel, fins, and booties.

I will give a run down on what the packages include.

Platinum-369.99
Aqua Lung Impulse 3 Flex or Dry Snorkel
ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins
SeaSoft Deluxe Titanium Boots
Rubber Marking Paint
Sea Drops Defog
FREE EDGE Gear Bag

Gold-299.99
Aqua Lung Impulse 2 Flex or Dry Snorkel
Oceanic V12 "Split" Fins
Deep See 5mm Seeboots
Rubber Marking Paint
Sea Drops Defog

Silver-179.99
Aqua Lung Impulse 2 Snorkel
Oceanic Viper Fins
O'Neill FX-5 Boots
Upgrades Available

Bronze-139.99
Edge Shadow Dry Snorkel
Edge Cruiser Fins
Oceanic 5mm Venture Boots
Upgrades Available

*With all the pacakages it states "Choose from Many Masks in Stock"

Ask if you can rent the personal gear. It doesn't really matter, as once you get into diving you'll starting buying gear and lusting after other gear frequently. Once you are ready to buy gear, be it a set of fins or a full rig, call Scubatoys. They'll hook you up.

You will need to purchase from the LDS, they may get very angry if you buy from somewhere else or an online source. They will only make an exception if you already have your own gear which they already know you don't. My suggestion would be to price the items online and see if the LDS is being competitive on pricing. If, not weigh the rental route vs. the purchase route. Try all you can and then buy after you know what you want.

Back
Top Bottom