Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrweather

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just picked up a Canon SX1 and an ikelite housing for an upcoming trip to the keys. This is my first underwater camera.

First question: do people use some form of attachment to keep the camera semi-attached to your wrist (a wrist strap) or to your BC? I know you wouldn't want to swim around with the camera and housing hanging off of your BC but I could see the need to have something attaching you to the camera so it isn't dropped. The camera is slightly smaller than an SLR so the housing is rather large. Obviously I don't want to lose my investment on the first dive!

The second question involves a filter. Ikelite does not make a filter to fit on the front of this housing (I am assuming because the filter would be quite large). I ordered a filter attachment that screws on where the lens hood attaches. I also ordered a saltwater filter to screw on to the filter attachment. Obviously, this would all go inside the housing, forcing me to use it for an entire dive. As I understand it, using a strobe helps eliminate the need for a filter; however, the strobe will have to wait until my next birthday or until Santa rolls through in 9 months. My question is, should I install the filter and commit to using it for the whole dive? Would using the custom white balancing at depth solve the color correction problem without using the filter?

I have some basic knowledge of photography, just not underwater photography. I am going to be doing one day of diving in the Keys and then a day of diving in the West Palm/Jupiter area. With only two days of diving, I'd like to avoid some silly mistake that could be avoided.

Thanks for the information and help. Please feel free to steer me in the right direction if I am way off.

I used to tether my camera to my wrist or D ring when I first started out. These days, I simply have a clip ready to clip it on my Dring if I need both hands for something. There should be generally no need for attaching it all the time unless your rig is significantly negative or positive.... If it sinks or floats real fast, then keep it hooked to you.....you should be attempting to get it neutral though.

Filters that can be wet changed tend to cost a fair bit more. I shoot in RAW and seldom use filters unless I am shooting in clear shallow water. When I know that is the case, I am committed (I shoot a Nikon D300 DSLR and Magic filters in this case). Even then, you need to manual WB too. If I were you, I would shoot in RAW and look into getting a strobe instead if you don't already have one. I am unsure if the SX1 can shoot RAW though.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the replies. I can use all the help. Currently (my model) the SX1 does not shoot in RAW. This appears to be one of the missing features of this camera. There are rumors that when the camera is made available in the States (April) there will be a software update for prior versions that will allow RAW shooting. This seems possible since the canon usa site mentions RAW shooting as a feature of the camera. Obviously the software on that camera will be different than what mine has. So until the software update is available, I am stuck with JPEG.

I definitely plan on eventually picking up a strobe. It certainly won't happen before this trip in a few weeks. I have to do some research and figure out how much cash I am going to have to shell out to get one.

As for having a means of attaching the camera to a d-ring when/if needed, what are you guys using? The enclosure does not have anything attaching to it yet that would allow me to clip it to a d-ring. I just need to figure out what to get so I can have it securely rigged without being too bulky and getting in the way.

Thanks again for all the help.

Well, after submitting my last post, I found out the firmware update is already released. Unfortunately, when I try to download it, I get errors. When I searched the net for update information, I found a post from someone saying they get the same error. When Canon was contacted, Canon's response was that the update was only available for Japanese versions of the camera and that others would have to wait for the European release. I purchased mine in Thailand when I was there. So I would think that my serial number would be more likely to be an Asian version than a European version. Either way, this blows because the update is available but I can't get it. I am going to try contacting Canon myself and asking them how I can get the update for my camera that was purchased neither in Japan or in Europe.

I was able to get the firmware updated. For whatever reason, I kept trying the site and it finally let me download the update. So, I can now shoot in RAW, which I plan to do. So now I am back to my original questions, to use a filter or not and what do you guys attach to the housing to allow you to clip the camera to your d-ring if you need to free both hands. Thanks again for the help. Sorry for the numerous posts.

I use something like this:

aquqcl.jpg

Mine has brass bolt snaps, but this is what I use to attach my D200 with strobes to my BC. This IMO is a MUST have item. I watched one diver dump a high end Oly housed in an Alum housing with two strobes at the beginning of a dive on the Grove in heavy current. That housing was gone.

In current I attach my camera/housing to my BC, and do a giant stride in with the camera. I hold the camera up high, and inflate my BC so as not to sink much. I then clip the strap so the camera is not hanging, and can pull myself along a line, or whatever to start the decent. I have done this many times in bad weather, strong current, etc. on deep wreck dives. It keeps the camera attached to me, and I don't have to use one hand to manage the camera. I did however scratch my dome pulling myself along a line in current once.

If I am doing a 30~40' reef in low current with good vis, this is not really needed. If you are doing a 140' wreck especially in current IMO this sub $20 lanyard is the cat's meow, and an absolute necessity. I tend to attach the strap regardless of the dive, but entry is different on shallow dives. I just have the Captain/Mate hand me the camera once I am in the water.

Most people attach a clip, or lanyard, to the strobe arm. Since you do not have a strobe attached this eliminates that option. What housing do you have?

This is my housing:

Attachments

• lgcan_sx1back.jpg
    lgcan_sx1back.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 22
I was thinking of something like this, I just don't know how to securely attach it to the housing:

Back
Top Bottom