Equipment Trends: The BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main advantage of a BP/W over a jacket BC is reduced drag due to better streamlining. I cannot think of a situation where being more streamlined is ever a disadvantage. Even in perfectly calm water you still need to overcome drag. Some of the newer BCs with back mounted aircells are just as streamlined as a BP/W.

Actually, I think it is more of the ability to fit a better cross section of the diving population with a universal piece of equipment...

My selection of a BP/W was driven by someone actually making a product that was intended to fit me correctly (X-tall). Proper fitting equipment allows you to drill down to diving skills & better performance without the "distractions".

Last edited:
I remember first seeing the modern version of a BP/W in use for recreational diving in 1999 on the west coast. It was introduced by a GUE group that established itself in LA led by MHK, Johnny Walker, and a few others.
I remember buying an OMS kit from LP around that time, because that's what they had. Yes there was no you tube, but information was out there on dive forums, the same forums I found out about the gear. And being that set up wasn't complete brain surgery, I had it set up and configured in about an hour on my own.
The so called fad became a permanent reality to 99.9% of people who use one.
Diving was also just a fad at one time.
Overstuffed, overpadded, over-engineered jackets are a bigger fad than BP/W will ever be.
BP were around long before any silly jacket was around.
And as far as split fins go, that could be considerd a fad that may have stuck with some people. If you notice, dive shops are stocking less and less of them and companies are trending back to solid fins.

MHK and I had one of the most explosive and long running flame wars on rec.scuba in the mid-90's.
Then, it occurred to me that all the Internet noise was getting in the way of any real discussion, and I invited MHK on a dive trip off of Palm Beach with George Irvine, Bill Mee and myself....where we would be absolutely polite, give him zero rhetoric--only actual reasons, and we would demo everything. MHK had been the ultimate "Stroke" by his own proud pronouncements.

After a couple of days of diving with us, MHK had several "epiphanies", and gave up on personal preference, gave up the jackets and a great deal more....he adopted DIR....and became one of the staunchest advocates for it over the next 2 years...ultimately becoming A GUE INSTRUCTOR ! :)

He became friends with us, once we lost the nonsense of the Internet. He was a huge character....one far beyond the "larger than life" kind of description.

I actually lost touch with him a few years back...don't know what happened to him, he pretty much dropped off the map with all the people I know he used to dive with....He did have a bout with throat cancer--so I hope that was not the issue ...

Actually, I think it is more of the ability to fix a better cross section of the diving population with a universal piece of equipment...

My selection of a BP/W was driven by someone actually making a product that was intended to fit me correctly (X-tall). Proper fitting equipment allows you to drill down to diving skills & better performance without the "distractions".

Exactly and that makes sense. The entire "streamlining" thing is way overblown. I know of no studies that have ever been done that has measured the streamlining of a BP/W vs a Jacket BC, and considering the way most dives are conducted, if there was a difference, it would hardly matter.

I too will accept "neat, tidy and organized", but not the whole streamlined justification.....

edit:

I will say, however, that the tendency of a BP/W to hold you in a horizontal position is highly beneficial to the work of diving, and may in fact lead to better efficiency (gas use). That being said, doubles, stages, dry suit, etc., are blowing away any "streamline"....

Exactly and that makes sense. The entire "streamlining" thing is way overblown. I know of no studies that have ever been done that has measured the streamlining of a BP/W vs a Jacket BC, and considering the way most dives are conducted, if there was a difference, it would hardly matter.

You don't need a scientific study to see and appreciate that a Corvette is faster than a Volkswagen Beetle.
Add high end Freedive fins to a floppy jacket bc diver, then the same fins with a slick bp/wing on this diver, and the comfortable , non-exertive speed difference is amazing...to the diver and anyone watching. One proviso is that the diver MUST know how to properly kick good freedive fins, as there is a real coordination for this most divers don't have on their first few uses of....

If the corvette and the Beetle had the same power engine, the differences drivers felt would be drastically reduced.....But the engine that is about 4 times or more powerful in the corvette, makes the turning, stopping, and overall feel very different. In other words, with a floppy jacket BC, and some floppy split fins, you just don't swim fast enough for the streamlining differences to come into play.

Have you never seen how much faster a good freediver is than a scuba diver.....or the effortless big kick and 10 foot long glide the freediver can do, versus the scuba diver that can barely glide more than a half a second before the jacket stops them like air brakes?

Speed just showcases/exagerates the difference in drag between the floppy jackets and the bp/wing with 20 or 30 pound wings.
Big kick and long glide, will do the same thing, without any assumption that high speed is desirable....just slow heart rate and low breathing rate--ultra low exertion to travel a given distance, due to absence of drag and ability to "coast".

Actually, I think it is more of the ability to fit a better cross section of the diving population with a universal piece of equipment...

This would seem to be more of a benefit to the manufacturer than to the user. After all the user is concerned about fit he doesn't care if the BC maker needs 12 sizes to do it properly. I am sure there are a variety of reasons people converted. I liked having the weight on my back and off the belt. I am sure others think they are a magic bullet to cure all dive ills.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2015 at 11:09 AM ----------

I too will accept "neat, tidy and organized", but not the whole streamlined justification.....

edit:

I will say, however, that the tendency of a BP/W to hold you in a horizontal position is highly beneficial to the work of diving, and may in fact lead to better efficiency (gas use). That being said, doubles, stages, dry suit, etc., are blowing away any "streamline"....

Probably most people using a BP/W are not diving doubles or stages.

This would seem to be more of a benefit to the manufacturer than to the user. After all the user is concerned about fit he doesn't care if the BC maker needs 12 sizes to do it properly. I am sure there are a variety of reasons people converted. I liked having the weight on my back and off the belt. I am sure others think they are a magic bullet to cure all dive ills.

Agree, but, if none of those 12 still fit you correctly (if not for the long/x-long DSS plates, I don't think I would be diving one as there was no reason to swap out an ill fitting jacket or back inflate).....

Dan,

Come on man. Let's not get carried away. You call the jacket "floppy" but the BP/W is "slick". Sounds like a marketing ploy. I don't wear a jacket now because I find it easier to slip on my Scubapro BI but when I did wear a jacket, it was never floppy. I'm not sure what is there to be flopping around.

A Corvette vs a Beetle......really?

Dan,

Come on man. Let's not get carried away. You call the jacket "floppy" but the BP/W is "slick". Sounds like a marketing ploy. I don't wear a jacket now because I find it easier to slip on my Scubapro BI but when I did wear a jacket, it was never floppy. I'm not sure what is there to be flopping around.

I had two jacket BCs, a Beuchat and a SeaTec Manta. The Beuchat was floppy, the tank would slide from side to side while kicking. According to the Dive Shop it fit. A buddy of mine gave me the SeaTec when he left diving. That one didn't flop but it was marginally too small when he gave it too me and then it shrank over time so it didn't fit. LOL.

Dan,

Here is the "floppy" Jacket in action...alot of the "floppy" is the way jackets are configured, so often...See some stuff flopping all over these jacket bc dive students?
And I defy anyone to show me a class of BP/wing divers that looks "floppy" like this :)

[video=youtube_share;LGcGU-I2jK4]http://youtu.be/LGcGU-I2jK4[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom