eRDPml of any use here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Almost all my boat dives have been square profile, 2 tank day standard dives. Yesterday: 3 dives (actually my first time), max depths approx. 120', 90', 80' (10 minutes only, problem occurred). My buddy (a DMC & MSD) and I both had our tables, eRDPmls and computers with backup. Routine: Being a shell collector, the bottom first for a bit. Then up on the wreck some--not necessarily a planned 2nd depth at "70 feet for 12 minutes", etc.). Instead a gradual ascent while checking for shells wherever--maybe going back down 10 feet for a minute to get one--no ridiculous sawtooth profiles. So, obviously tables are out the window. The surface intervals were each close to 2 hours. Is there a way to use the eRDPml to plan any of this? We used the computers for remaining no deco time, and were very conservative, especially on the repeat dives. Also, how many of you use the eRDPml a lot?

Methinks you've just outlined why using tables (whether printed or electronic) don't work very well for how people actually dive.

...... Is there a way to use the eRDPml to plan any of this? .....
Probably ... if you have the patience to enter lots of levels :depressed:

For planning series of real multilevel dives your best option is divePAL.

divepal_multilevel.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I use an RDP, not and eRDP, and do pressure groups and surface intervals with it all the time from multi-level dives as an exercise to stay current for students. I also have "the wheel." You might remember it from years past. It is a very useful manual tool for backing up a computer. Use it to plan dives and to calculated pressure groups and surface intervals after a dive. It marks depths in 5 feet increments instead of 10, and if you have never used one, try and find one. (you can't have mine) Once upon a time you had to have a "wheel" for the PADI advanced open water class. No longer. Anyway, if there are any other dinosaurs out there who thought the wheel was great for multilevel dive planning, ring in.
DivemasterDennis

I use an RDP, not and eRDP, and do pressure groups and surface intervals with it all the time from multi-level dives as an exercise to stay current for students. I also have "the wheel." You might remember it from years past. It is a very useful manual tool for backing up a computer. Use it to plan dives and to calculated pressure groups and surface intervals after a dive. It marks depths in 5 feet increments instead of 10, and if you have never used one, try and find one. (you can't have mine) Once upon a time you had to have a "wheel" for the PADI advanced open water class. No longer. Anyway, if there are any other dinosaurs out there who thought the wheel was great for multilevel dive planning, ring in.

DivemasterDennis

Yes, I've heard of people using the RDP to calculate multi level dives (a good exercise, no doubt). Haven't even seen a Wheel--that was phased out just before I got certified. I can see where these (and easier with eRDPml of course) can be used to calculate true multi level dives with reasonably set times at different levels. Can't see how any of these can be used with the types of dives I described, which may well be "how people actually dive", as Peter mentioned.

I think I may have used the lid of my eRDPML to scrape frost off my windshield! It wasn't so great at it though.

My LDS was pushing the eRDPML for a while. However, I think that the number of clients that found it was a waste of money was quite significant. I think that recently they have sold very few of them.

I was always suspicious of them. Plastic tables can go underwater with you, so can the wheel. But the eRDP does not appear to serve any purpose whatsoever. However, when I tried to buy a traditional RDP (and a set of PADI Nitrox tables) then the answer was "buy the eRDP" as we no longer stock tables.

progress hey :rolleyes:

Jon

no, you will never get that "close" to your computer with those type of profiles, but with generalizations you can (as Alberto has done with the fantastic software program he represents) lay out a reasonable plan, or if you desire, back-check your dive. There have been numerous discussions as to how to use tables to do this.

P.S. - the Wheel ROCKS! I have used one for 20+ years, never owning "standard" tables until I recently took a Nitrox class, and my daughter just got a set with her textbook. I just obtained a second wheel for my wife or my daughter to use (and to have as a spare). Wonderful tool. Around here in the Great Lakes, its realistically "square profile diving" on the wrecks, so it is very useful. You need to understand its limitations, but all devices have them to one extent or another....

Never saw a reason for the eRDP. It really seemed a waste of money.

P.S.S. - Alberto, any chance of a "windows mobile" version?

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Methinks you've just outlined why using tables (whether printed or electronic) don't work very well for how people actually dive.

How true, but yet it should have been within a "planned" profile, no?

P.S. - the Wheel ROCKS! I have used one for 20+ years, never owning "standard" tables until I recently took a Nitrox class, and my daughter just got a set with her textbook. I just obtained a second wheel for my wife or my daughter to use (and to have as a spare). Wonderful tool. Around here in the Great Lakes, its realistically "square profile diving" on the wrecks, so it is very useful. You need to understand its limitations, but all devices have them to one extent or another....

I quite agree. I have dived with the wheel for 15 years or so. The only thing to remember is to give it a good wash in fresh water after it has been in saltwater.

It stays in the BCD pocket and has been used in anger on one or two occasions when the 'puter has died. A bit of thinking, a minutes re-planning, and the dive continues in exactly the way it used to before I bought the 'puter.

Just to make things clear, I dive with watch and triple gauges as well as the computer. So, with bottom time and max depth I can calculate where I am on the wheel, and if the ML-NDL has not been passed then I finish the dive on tables. Obviously there are times when this doesn't work, especially on a wall dive when you have only spent a short time at max depth, and then spent quite some time gently ascending, but it does work well for wreck dives as rhwestfall suggests.

How many people plan their dive on both their computer, and have a look at tables, or the wheel? I get many strange looks when I have a quick look at the wheel prior to a dive!

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom