ever been bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same as others, general feeling of tiredness and sleepyness. Once I realized what it likely was, sub-clinical DCS, judging by the symptoms, started paying much more attention to my dive profile and slowed my ascents, even in shallow water. Appears to have helped, I haven't felt exhausted after a dive in a while. Another problem I used to have was occasional headaches after dives. Thought that it was a symptom of sub-clinical DCS as well, but after gathering more info it seemed that the problem stemmed from holding breaths (of course, never while ascending :)) and associated build-up of CO2 in the blood/tissues. Or something to that effect. Improving my breathing habits, once again, seemed to have helped alleviate the problem.

-Roman.

I always have that after dive exhausted feeling too. I don't think its DCS, I think its just me after activity!!

I also used to get the headaches, and noticed I didn't when I used NITROX. Someone pointed out to me that I was "skip breathing". Once I paid more attention to that, no more headaches, even without NITROX.

My instructor told me once that we get tired after diving because of the compressed air we breathe underwater. I think it has something to do with the fact that we only breath 21% oxygen, whereas if you dive with enriched air, you are less tired after diving because you breathe a higher percentage of oxygen.

I haven't felt or noticed any signs of any form of DCS after any of my dives yet. I am a pretty conservative diver, and have done safety stops after all dives (barring one or two non-deep dives). I find doing a safety stop is just good practice, helps form good habits, and lessens the possibility of getting DCS/bent.

I haven't dove on Nitrox yet so can't comment on the aftereffects of it, but I'm told you do have alittle more pep in your walk after a Nitrox dive. Do plan on doing that course as soon as possible, but I first must purchase some new fins, a light, pay off my instructor course, and then I will be on my way with Nitrox. :)

EBdiver once bubbled...
My instructor told me once that we get tired after diving because of the compressed air we breathe underwater. I think it has something to do with the fact that we only breath 21% oxygen, whereas if you dive with enriched air, you are less tired after diving because you breathe a higher percentage of oxygen.

I believe it has nothing to do with breathing air. Remember your physics and the deeper you go the higher your PPO goes. The body only uses approx 6%. Now if you are saying it is because there is a lower % of nitrogen... you maybe on to something... think think think....

Kimber

AquaTec once bubbled...
I was reading another post about a hit.

anybody ever taken a hit or suspect that they have and wish to discuss it.

Ok, so nobody here is willing to fess up.... I wil be the first...

I have taken a chamber ride... was it DCS?? Well the profile says it shouldn't be... but the signs and symptoms were textbook. Joint pain, creepy crawlie skin, disorientation, exhaustion, blurry eyesight, lack of coordination etc ... And the chamber ride did make the symptoms go away.

The profile... 2 40' 30 min dives with a 1.5 SI.... open water certification dives 3 and 4. Boy did my OW instructors freak when they heard I got into tek. Now diving shallow is much scarier to me than diving deep.

Kimber

Or that could be the case. :wink: I'll have to confirm with my instructor.

I think EBDiver is correct. It is MORE O2, not less nitrogen that makes the difference. Our bodies metabolize oxygen, its energy to our cells. We do nothing with nitrogen; its just inert. So, a higher oxygen content would mean more energy and less headaches after diving.

Yes, I have first hand experience of both types of chambers. Could write pages about it all.....but I won't.

Am I the only one out there that kind of likes the pleasantly exhausted feeling after diving? I love the feeling that I was up early, got some good exercise (endorphins are a good thing), and really enjoyed that cheeseburger and beer for lunch. Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom