Ever been saved by your buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) 106 Dives
2) One issue.
3) After a day of diving I stopped my dive buddy from smooth talking the very cute waitress when I noticed the large, upset man behind the bar was her husband!

Now that was a save..... :D

1. What is your total number of dives- about 325

2. How many times have you or your buddy saved the other from a potentially lethal or serious injury situation. 2

3. What were the circumstances surrounding the event.
#1 was one of my very first dives, at Key West, when I was paired up with an out-of-shape diver who was swimming with his hands, breast stroke style. Towards the end of the dive, he was exhausted and began freaking out at the surface because he was sinking and not inflating his BC. I just inflated it and he calmed down and I towed him back to the boat.

#2 Three hundred dives later, I was night diving here in SoCal and got tangled in kelp with heavy surge. My buddy had to help me cut myself free.

Not proud of it but my DB has bailed me out once. At the time of the incident I had around 70-75 dives.
I had around 8 or so dives on my doubles and was really starting to feel comfortable. I was diving with a group that was diving singles. My doubles weren't full but I knew that they would turn the dive before me.
We were at about 40' and starting to descend again. On every breath my mask would slightly flood, found this odd but didn't think too much about it. Within the next few breaths it became a bit harder to breath off my reg, nothing major. I figured that it was because I was a bit nervous about the mask since the gauge was reading plenty of air. Then the reg became hard to breath on and I knew that something wasn't right. I reached over and pulled on my DB's wing and he rolled to see what was up. I flashed the OOA sign and he donated.
He gave me the thumbs up sign and I confirmed. We surface and surfce swam back to the dock.

My problem was that my isolator valve was almost all the way shut. It was open just enough that the gauge was moving a little bit.

Ironic part of this is that my DB had just finished rescue a couple of weeks before and I was signed up for the class a couple weeks later. Also this summer him and I are doing adv.nitrox and deco together. I truly feel that I could trust him with my life.

1. 200+

2. Once.

3. My regular buddy and I were boat diving in fairly rough conditions in Monterey. We were both new to our drysuits, and thanks to our initially lousy buoyancy control, we rocketed down the anchor line to about 100 fsw. We got our act together on the bottom, but it was dark and surgy and we were both fairly anxious. Our plan was to compass nav out and back from the anchor line, maybe five minutes in each direction, or until we hit our turn pressure. After only a minute or two, my buddy checked his SPG for the first time and discovered he was at 300 PSI -- *well* below our planned minimum gas. I have no idea how that happened.

We started our ascent immediately. Our ascent was remarkably slow and controlled given what had happened up to that point. My buddy went OOG fairly early in the ascent. I donated my primary and went to my backup. We continued our ascent, did a safety stop, and surfaced.

Lessons:

1. Dive within your limits. The combination of depth, new gear, and crappy condition meant we were outside our limits. I won't do that again.

2. Practice out of gas scenarios! Practice ascents while sharing air! This buddy and I used to spring OOG drills on each other probably every other dive. I credit all that practice for our smooth, safe ascent.

I've done about 400 dives in 2 years. Just one incident where my buddy got narked at depth and I pulled him up to start his ascent so we wouldn't run out of air. I can't think of any situation where a buddy saved me.

For me, a new diver, I learn and remember by the examples/stories shared here. Thanks for sharing your experience and putting aside your ego's when your story involved personal mistakes. I didn't notice anyone stroking their ego's.

Hey guys thats just great ... Scubaboard is to promote diving ... alot of newbies base things on what they read here. They might not understand the circumstances which lead up to the incident in question ... save it for a professional room.

Stroke ego's there. You don't have to lie, but you don't have to tell them everything you know. I thought better of alot of peeps here.

I stopped logging dives after 400. That was many years ago. So I'd put my number somewhere between 500 - 1000

When I was very new, I lost my weight belt at depth. My buddy grabbed me and helped me put it back on. When I was very new, I lost my bearings in an ascent without reference in Puget Sound and was actually descending, rather than ascending. My buddy came and got me. My buddy in both cases was the AI in my OW class. These were pleasure dives soon after certification.

What both incidents have in common, is that I lacked the situational awareness (to borrow from GUE). When many people are newly OW certified, there is so much going on in a dive that you have to be aware of. It's like driving a car. Pretty soon, you just do all the things you need to do automatically. But when you are newly driving, it takes a while to get in to the groove.

One more time, my buddy came to my rescue. I had a fair number of dives under my belt and a current came up very fast and very strong (again, Puget Sound). We were a three-buddy team, his wife being the other diver. Guess who he "rescued" first? :) Anyway, I yelled for him to get to the boat, leave me floating, and pick me up down current. He would have none of it. He swam to me and helped me make it to shore. I really didn't have the strength to fight the current any more.

I have over 1000 dives. I have had to do so many assists and saves that I can't even begin to remember them all. Most are really minor and associated with working as a divemaster and having to haul AOW students back to the stern of the boat after they have completely panicked upon entering the water. It sounds like a joke but I am serious.

Great replies
After completing 60 dives with no incidents I suspect I was in danger of a little bit of over confidence/complacency creeping in.
I feel this thread has been a great antidote to that.
I do intend to do a rescue coarse as someone suggested and am waiting for an opportunity to come up with my preferred tutor.

I think this thread does promote diving as a relatively safe activity when practiced by adequately informed and well trained divers.
People who feel intimidated by the episodes that have been shared should probably limit their diving to the safest of environments or not dive at all.
A slight level of concern for your safety in the early days of your diving is probably natural and not too unhealthy.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Bluey

Great replies
After completing 60 dives with no incidents I suspect I was in danger of a little bit of over confidence/complacency creeping in.
I feel this thread has been a great antidote to that.
IBluey

I agree. I think the dangerous times are when you first are learning to dive (after certification) and then later after you have done 50-100 dives and have been lucky (and smart) enough to have experienced no problems.

You really shouldn't consider yourself experienced until you have really scared yourself in the water. After being involved in a few incidents, you develop a more realistic attitude toward the entire sport, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom