Evolve 40 LB wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you are saying that you can use a 40 evolve system with 130's and trim out evenly with a drysuit:idk:

yes. i'll float a little low in the water, but don't notice any difference in diving.

i've done the reverse and used a 60# wing on Al80s and that sucked due to trapped gas.

also have the evolve 40 with double hp100. Drysuit is ~+24lbs, works perfect, and certainly i have a little more lift available.
I like the wing, its quality and shape, also the hose which is much better than on all the other wings i have tried (oxy, dss).

the one thing i dont like a little is the OPV, which somehow stay in the path of the SPG, and also because when rinsing the wing, it is not the easiest positioning (once again, compare to oxycheq and dss) - this is minor.

I have an Evolve 40 and it works well with my Worthington LP85s. Be careful, though, not to let the bottom edge of the wing slip under the tanks when you set them down--you could pinch the inner bladder and damage it. The 100s are shorter, so it will be a bigger issue with them.

(I'd also recommend replacing the dump valve with the one Tobin from DSS makes with the thicker string. Easier to grab with gloves on, and about 2 minutes to install.)

Apparently a very common (most common?) cause of pinched bladders is tail gate/wing bladder interactions.

And the string on the OPV IS a little small for cold water/dry gloves, but it is doable. Another option is the Agir wings. They seem just as nice as the Halcyon stuff but they are a little bit more cold-water ready.

Cheers,
VI

I just acquired an Evolve 40 Lb wing. I currently own a set of double 72's. I am sure the wing will work with those. One day I hope to own a set of double HP 100's. Will the 40 Lb wing work for those also?Compared to my eclipse 40 Lb wing (for single tanks)and my Dive Rite Rec wing (which I am currently using for the 72's) this thing looks huge.

Sweet little doubles wing. Works awesome on LP85's/HP100's.

Love the 40 for my 100's...

I got to say, I was of the skool of thought that 'its all just stuff' as well, until i borrowed Lamont's 40lb evolve wing for my Fundies class (as opposed to using my 40lb explorer) and i gotta say, I liked it so much that now i have one of my own. Can I make any wing work? Yes. but after resisting trying it for a couple of years, and then trying it (and having used other donut wings in the interim) there is something about the Evolve that just works incredibly well for me.

A side note, the newer cordura is awesome. It's back to being like that bullet proof stuff of yester-year, (remembering back when the wings came with a piece of innertube in the top and weighed like 25lbs) :wink: I guess that it makes me a bit glad I delayed in the upgrade :wink:

They seem just as nice as the Halcyon stuff but they are a little bit more cold-water ready.

It may take a little more practice initially, but you can reliably hit the Halcyon pull dump every time, even with dry gloves.

Love the 40 for my 100's...

I got to say, I was of the skool of thought that 'its all just stuff' as well, until i borrowed Lamont's 40lb evolve wing for my Fundies class (as opposed to using my 40lb explorer) and i gotta say, I liked it so much that now i have one of my own. Can I make any wing work? Yes. but after resisting trying it for a couple of years, and then trying it (and having used other donut wings in the interim) there is something about the Evolve that just works incredibly well for me.

A side note, the newer cordura is awesome. It's back to being like that bullet proof stuff of yester-year, (remembering back when the wings came with a piece of innertube in the top and weighed like 25lbs) :wink: I guess that it makes me a bit glad I delayed in the upgrade :wink:

I almost feel like i should learn in a horseshoe so that i have the experience and skill of moving the bubble around. I might be spoiled by donut BCs :shocked2:

Don't worry drdr, if you get an Evolve, I'll happily swap my Explorer with you so you can have the experience ;-). Indefinitely!

Don't worry drdr, if you get an Evolve, I'll happily swap my Explorer with you so you can have the experience ;-). Indefinitely!

Well if you want, ill switch with you for a bit when I decide to move into double. So I can get the less optimal experience :wink:

both of the new Halcyon wings that i have came with a small plastic pull fob on the end of the OPV string. Two dives today and it worked flawlessly (in cold water). it is small enough that i don't feel like its' catching on stuff but easy as pie to grab and pull with thick gloves on.

Apparently a very common (most common?) cause of pinched bladders is tail gate/wing bladder interactions.

And the string on the OPV IS a little small for cold water/dry gloves, but it is doable. Another option is the Agir wings. They seem just as nice as the Halcyon stuff but they are a little bit more cold-water ready.

Cheers,
VI

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom