Evolve 40 LB wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the string on the OPV IS a little small for cold water/dry gloves, but it is doable. Another option is the Agir wings. They seem just as nice as the Halcyon stuff but they are a little bit more cold-water ready.

I have the Agir Niord 20kg (44lb) wing, and while it's extremely durable and well-constructed, I've found that the OPV is positioned in such a way that it can be more difficult than an Evolve or DSS Torus to dump gas from it while in trim - it requires a slightly more exaggerated butt-lift-tilt motion in order to vent.

both of the new Halcyon wings that i have came with a small plastic pull fob on the end of the OPV string. Two dives today and it worked flawlessly (in cold water). it is small enough that i don't feel like its' catching on stuff but easy as pie to grab and pull with thick gloves on.

That plastic fob was one thing that Bob Sherwood removed from my gear, during Fundies. The other was the plastic fob on my SMB. He showed us a neat trick to get the string, put your whole hand over the dump valve and then circle the valve with your index finger, the strings wraps around your finger and you got it.

That plastic fob was one thing that Bob Sherwood removed from my gear, during Fundies. The other was the plastic fob on my SMB. He showed us a neat trick to get the string, put your whole hand over the dump valve and then circle the valve with your index finger, the strings wraps around your finger and you got it.

I heard somewhere those plastic knobs were a requirement to get european CE certification, but most DIR divers remove them once purchased. I had an Oxycheq wing come with one, and I took it off before ever putting it in the water.

:) yup, i was lucky enough to borrow a wing from someone who'd already been sherwooded for my Fundies.. I use that circle the valve trick on a regular basis, works very very well!

:) yup, i was lucky enough to borrow a wing from someone who'd already been sherwooded for my Fundies.. I use that circle the valve trick on a regular basis, works very very well!

Sherwooded...now that is word I will use in the future for sure :wink:

Sweet little doubles wing. Works awesome on LP85's/HP100's.

I dive the evolve 40# with LP85's and love them as well. When Halcyon did their spring recall on the OPV, I changed out the string with a slightly thicker, longer one that works well with a glove.

I have the Agir Niord 20kg (44lb) wing, and while it's extremely durable and well-constructed, I've found that the OPV is positioned in such a way that it can be more difficult than an Evolve or DSS Torus to dump gas from it while in trim - it requires a slightly more exaggerated butt-lift-tilt motion in order to vent.

You mean there's no such thing as a perfect wing? Argh! :D

:) yup, i was lucky enough to borrow a wing from someone who'd already been sherwooded for my fundies.. I use that circle the valve trick on a regular basis, works very very well!

:d:d:d

I dive the evolve 40# with LP85's and love them as well. When Halcyon did their spring recall on the OPV, I changed out the string with a slightly thicker, longer one that works well with a glove.

Me too. In fact, I've performed the "Swedish Dump-Valve Mod" on all my Halcyon wings as soon as I got them. I just prefer the feel of the thicker line.

It's a really quick and easy mod. I followed the directions found on Peter Steinhoff's site:
DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom