Exercises to Gain Stamina for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're getting tired diving, being fitter will help, but diving more efficiently is a good start too.

I've seen studies that suggest muscle endurance is actually quite motion-specific - Lance Armstrong called running a marathon the hardest thing he'd ever done despite being ridiculously biking-fit and training hard for running. So if your legs get tired when diving, I suggest swimming (especially with your fins on) without using your hands.

Whatever you do will help, if only by making you more efficient at using air, but if you want to swim longer, faster, easier, then the best thing to do is to swim.

We always walk the block a few months before a trip and walk stairs as much as possible. Helps a great deal.

Isn't this the Navy SEAL's minimum requirement? If I were 10 years younger, I might be able to do it easily. Now, it would require a bit of work - still possible, but the run would be tough on my ankle at that rate, and I would pay dearly for a week or more after it.

My recommendation:

Swim 500 yards (457 m) in 14 minutes or less, using sidestroke or breaststroke. Once achieved, try to get your time down to under 11 minutes.

Perform 42 push-ups within 2 minutes, with the chest touching the ground on each repetition.

Perform 50 sit-ups within 2 minutes.

Perform 6 pull-ups with palms facing out. (No kipping or swinging is allowed and the chin must clear the top of the bar on each repetition.)

Run 1.5 miles (2.414 km) in 12 minutes and 45 seconds.

Do 20 splits (ten right leg, ten left leg, alternate) with minimum 10lb weights in each hand. Gradually pick up greater weights.

Once you have done this routine, let me know and I'll give you more if you want.

Hope this helps. Nice to see a guy who wants to keep fit for diving.

My suggestion is doing laps in the pool with fins and snorkel. I don't use fins and snorkels in the pool any more, but many folks do it regularly. I swim 2 to 3 miles a week, run 2 miles every other day, and seem to be able to keep up with most folks adequately. I am just meeting my minimum fitness requirement I feel for my age.

Isn't this the Navy SEAL's minimum requirement? If I were 10 years younger, I might be able to do it easily. Now, it would require a bit of work - still possible, but the run would be tough on my ankle at that rate, and I would pay dearly for a week or more after it.
No, that is not the SEALs minimum requirement! That particular requirement is somewhat harder to meet the 500 yard swim using breast and /or side stroke < 12:30
and the 1.5 miles < 11:30 in boots and long pants. The pushups and situps would be the same. Of course that alone is hardly any indication that someone could finish Indoc let alone BUD/S. Here is something that might interest you Navy SEALs BUD/S Warning Order Workout

Actually you did understand where I was coming from. I took those particular times and numbers from the minimum levels for entry to the US Navy Diver programs at NDSTC.

Of course, generally speaking anything you can do cardio wise, swimwise and having some basic core strength in your body helps. Running is really important to keep fit and have a strong heart. It's also pretty good psychologically, to keep going when you just want to STOP! Most people are going to have problems with the push ups, but that really does give you strength. If you can't do the pull ups, maybe you should be asking yourself if you can handle certain kinds of dives because that is a clear indication that you will or will not be able to get out of the water and if necessary with your kit (minus fins) on.

The idea behind "diving fitness" is have a good level of cardiovascular health, keep your weight and your fat down, build physical and psychological resistance and be able to enter and exit the water with full gear from shore or a boat. The splits are great. It normally takes a while for someone who has not done them before to master them but it really gives you power for getting up with your gear on, getting out of the water and carrying your equipment.

I agree swimming both with and without fins is important too. That's why swimming tests are mandatory at Divemaster level. My favorite is the 15 minutes floating or treading water with your hands out of the water for the last 2!

I agree swimming both with and without fins is important too. That's why swimming tests are mandatory at Divemaster level. My favorite is the 15 minutes floating or treading water with your hands out of the water for the last 2!

Which ironically is easier to do if you're fat :) Just lie on your back and fold your arms (as I saw a rather large DMT friend of mine do for her test)

Which ironically is easier to do if you're fat :) Just lie on your back and fold your arms (as I saw a rather large DMT friend of mine do for her test)
:D Yes.... well those of us who have less body fat find a little bit more difficult especially if it s done in a pool with "traffic" that prevents you from just lying on your back because swimmers using the facilty are coming back ad forth the whole time. How did he/she do on keeping his/her hands out of the water for the last two minutes? Did he/she pass the swim tests including the tow?:blinking:

Just curious about swimming tests. Aren't they required before beginning initial certification instruction?

Just curious about swimming tests. Aren't they required before beginning initial certification instruction?
Yes, they are. Unfortunately a lot of LDS just ask: "Can you swim?":flush:

My recommendation:

Swim 500 yards (457 m) in 14 minutes or less, using sidestroke or breaststroke. Once achieved, try to get your time down to under 11 minutes.

Perform 42 push-ups within 2 minutes, with the chest touching the ground on each repetition.

Perform 50 sit-ups within 2 minutes.

Perform 6 pull-ups with palms facing out. (No kipping or swinging is allowed and the chin must clear the top of the bar on each repetition.)

Run 1.5 miles (2.414 km) in 12 minutes and 45 seconds.

Do 20 splits (ten right leg, ten left leg, alternate) with minimum 10lb weights in each hand. Gradually pick up greater weights.

Once you have done this routine, let me know and I'll give you more if you want.

Hope this helps. Nice to see a guy who wants to keep fit for diving.

If I could do that I wouldn't need to work out.

Back
Top Bottom