Expectations using a Cannon G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a novice by all means. My underwater photography has been pretty limited and simple over the years but enjoyed it. Had a small Cannon killed in a housing flood (my fault - errant hair) and didn't get back into it. I had a Cannon G11 laying around unused for a long number of years and then a few years ago found a WP-DC34 housing for the G11 but put them in the closet and never got around to using the setup. Now, I'm thinking of messing around with it but wondering how good of pics will it really take UW and if my expectations should be tempered a great deal? By just taking some pics with the G11 in the open air it was interesting seeing how slow/limited the older cameras are versus what we have become use to in our daily lives (iPhone 13, etc.). I cringe asking this of the SB UW experts, but as a novice, would I be better off with something like a SeaLife housing and use my iPhone 13?

I had the G12 not the G11. The year was 2011 and it was a decent camera then. There is a shutter lag and focus is slow. I was able to shoot a few keepers with it (GBR, SE QLD & R4 shots below)
Take it out for a spin, pay attention to composition and lighting and you may get a few keepers too! You already have it so no harm, if you flood it there will be no tears. If you realise you are more passionate about UW photography then look to upgrade.
The iphone 13 or a Olympus TG would be a better option, a strobe is also crucial.

1655311924368.png

1655311969945.png

1655312003763.png

Back
Top Bottom