Experienced Divers: What are the most common "oh, crap!" situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for letting me ask a basic question. I'm a brand new recently-certified OW diver. I know that buoyancy control may be the most important skill at this point. But my biggest fear is having a panic attack when something goes wrong. In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face? Right now, in my limited experience, losing my mask is my biggest fear because I struggle keeping water out of my nose. Is that the answer? That is, focus my practice on those scenarios that I already know will likely induce panic. What do you say?

Note: I am reading and learning form the "What would you do?" thread that is pinned at the top of the forum.

About 10 years ago, after about 200 dives, you know, just when I think I've "got it all down".. lol, I forget to reattach the power inflator hose after switching tanks. So here I am, descending rather rapidly, bottom approaching and trying to put a little air in wondering why nothings happening. Gently hit the bottom and figured it out quickly, but, they say that a little experience can breed complacency. You know the old adage " I know just enough to be dangerous".. lol. I forgot one of the " basic" essential rig checks. I was lucky it was only a 60 foot dive.

I recently had an unexplainable mask flooding issue. Then, I discovered that I'd put my mask on over my sunglasses.

The price of looking cool at the beach.
I often find sunglasses while diving. I'll often grab one of the cool looking, or simply weird ones out of the bag and wear that on mu surface-swim back to the boat which can sometimes be a good distance. Probably one of the funnier times, I found an umbrella, and popped that open. When asked "Why does a scuba-diver have an umbrella" by some people on the shore, I simply said back, "Why not?"

I often find sunglasses while diving. I'll often grab one of the cool looking, or simply weird ones out of the bag and wear that on mu surface-swim back to the boat which can sometimes be a good distance. Probably one of the funnier times, I found an umbrella, and popped that open. When asked "Why does a scuba-diver have an umbrella" by some people on the shore, I simply said back, "Why not?"
You missed the perfect opportunity to say "I'm trying to stay dry".

Accidentally went diving with wallet and cell phone still in my drysuit pocket. Don't put anything in your exposure suit or BC pockets that shouldn't get wet. Just hold them in your hand until you can put them in another bag.
Left my gear bag sitting in the garage and drove all the way to the dive site. Make a gear checklist for packing the car.
Left my gear bag sitting on the dock after a boat dive. Always run through your gear checklist again before driving away. (Fortunately another diver picked it up for me.)
Got caught on monofilament line. Always carry a cutting tool (or two).
Got knocked down by a rogue wave and rolled in the surf when walking out after a shore dive. Keep your reg in your mouth, watch out behind you, and move fast through the surf zone.
Over breathed my reg and got a CO2 hit (hypercapnia) on a deep tech dive while moving through a strong current and struggling with some other gear issues. I should have left the camera behind on that dive but was too eager to take pictures. Don't try to add too many complications to a dive as every little thing contributes to task loading.
Poked my upper body into a hole on a wreck and my tank valve got stuck on the edge. My buddy didn't even realize that I was stuck and I had to wiggle around to free myself. Holes look bigger underwater than they really are.
Did a "trust me" dive with an experienced instructor who took a group of 5 divers to about 135 ft on nitrox 32 in a strong current with no one left on the boat. 😬 Don't hesitate to skip a dive if anything doesn't seem right.

Reactions: OTF
In my case, the buddy in out-of-air situation tried to rip the regulator out of my mouth, but I was biting on it and the reg separated from the mouthpiece.

Probably one of the funnier times, I found an umbrella, and popped that open. When asked "Why does a scuba-diver have an umbrella" by some people on the shore, I simply said back, "Why not?"
You missed the perfect opportunity to say "I'm trying to stay dry".
Can I play?

"Raincoat won't fit over the tank."

"Can't afford a drysuit."

"[Sobs] Mary Poppins. Shark. So much blood. [Wipes tears] All that's left."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom