Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'd sell the tanks for scrap AL or make a wind chime or mailbox, or retaining wall...:D IJS

Wouldn't the explosion also escape from under the train in the explosion? Would it still be able to pick up the train? I honestly don't know the answer, but I'd trust a demolitions person or a physicist. Anyone on here either of those?
I have little experience in the area. I set off one 1/4# block of TNT and threw one hand grenade in the Marines. My reserve unit was preparing to go over for much more experience, but then Johnson cut back so we were spared. We shot up a lot of things, more the Marine Corps style anyway. 30 cal machine gun off the hip, 50 cal from a truck, rocket launchers - all fun even circa 1970, and they have much better toys now.

I think if you exploded a double grenade under a locomotive, much of the blast would escape out the open sides, altho they are close to the ground. I doubt you'd knock it over, but you might do some serious damage. Depends on what kind of grenade too. All very lose discussion actually.

Ok this is surprising: Investigation into fatal St. Petersburg scuba tank blast turns to missing regulator, stolen gear - St. Petersburg Times
ST. PETERSBURG — The investigation into the deadly scuba tank blast that killed Russell Vanhorn II on Sunday continues to move forward this week.

Investigators had to go back to the scene of the explosion Tuesday to find a key piece of evidence left in the rubble. They're also retracing the tank's history and arranging for local and federal experts to test it.

St. Petersburg police are also exploring this angle: Was any scuba gear involved in the explosion stolen?

"We're looking at the possibility that some … stolen equipment may have turned up here," said police spokesman Mike Puetz.

Vanhorn was accused of stealing a dive reel from his former employer, Scuba West in Hudson, according to court records. In August he was charged with misdemeanor petty theft.

According to a Pasco County Sheriff's Office report, a Scuba West employee said she saw a dive reel inside Vanhorn's lunch bag in April. Cave divers use the reels so they won't get lost.

She determined Vanhorn hadn't paid for the reel, the report said. Owner Jeff Tobey said he fired Vanhorn, and received this e-mail from him: "I wish I could turn back time and stop myself from taking the reel."

The shop reported more equipment missing: seven tanks, four dive lights, a side-mounted buoyancy control device and a regulator. In July a client reported seeing Vanhorn with the shop's tanks at Eagle Nest, a cave diving spot in Hernando County.

But there was no evidence that Vanhorn took anything but the dive reel, according to the State Attorney's Office. He wasn't arrested but was sent a summons ordering him to appear in court next month.

Vanhorn, 23, is a veteran of the Iraq war who learned to scuba dive while he was in the Marine Corps. He was preparing to go diving with two others early Sunday morning when police said the tank he was carrying exploded, destroying the condo at 5865 37th Ave. No one else was injured.

When investigators reassembled the tank, they discovered that the diving regulator was missing. That controls the pressure of the gases that divers inhale. They returned to the blast site on Tuesday and found it in the rubble.

Investigators still believe the blast was accidental. But as a precaution the tank will be tested at the Pinellas County Forensic Lab for signs of anything combustible.

"It's to rule out the possibility that a foreign substance got into the tank," Puetz said. "There's no allegations that anyone put anything volatile on there."

Then the tank will be given to the U.S. Transportation Department, which regulates the devices, to determine exactly what went wrong.

Police are also tracking down the history of the tank: who filled, serviced and inspected it.

Investigators ask anyone who has gone diving with Vanhorn or has any firsthand information — and not just theories — about the blast to call police at (727) 893-7780. Anonymous tipsters can call (727) 892-5000 or text police at (727) 420-8911.

Look at it this way. If they are comparing a full AL80 to enough explosive energy to LIFT a freaking Locomotive thats enough math for me to know Im carrying a Bomb on my back and my 220lbs of massive muscle made 80% of water will be GONE.... So who need to know what it lifts when compared to a locomotive, sometimes ya got to say... "Thats good enough!"

If its out of date as the Fill Stations say, dont use it, its 130 bucks new, ya get $20 on a recycle, now ya good for 15 years.

Its like playing with Rattlesnakes... Sooner or later...... its gonna bite ya!

Why take the chances. My buddy has a Pre88 Luxfer, I told him to get rid of it since Im usually the one in the boat, the truck, and fill station with him! Screw that.

Steve

A few new twists in that article.

The newspaper article Don quoted:
When investigators reassembled the tank, they discovered that the diving regulator was missing. That controls the pressure of the gases that divers inhale. They returned to the blast site on Tuesday and found it in the rubble.

Is it just me, or is that an odd way to put it: That the regulator was missing from the tank.

I've only rented tanks so in that case of course I set them up when I get to the site, but if one is getting tank(s) ready for a dive at home, and going to put them in the car to drive to the dive site, would one normally mount the reg to the tank then? Would it be different for a stage/pony/deco bottle?

I can see the investigators wanting the regulator for various reasons; it just struck me funny that they made it sound like they expected it to have been mounted to the tank. Maybe just an odd wording in the article :idk: Or maybe people normally do mount the reg to a stage or pony before leaving home and I don't know about it since I don't own my own tanks (?).

Thanks for posting the new article, Don.

Blue Sparkle

A few new twists in that article.

Is it just me, or is that an odd way to put it: That the regulator was missing from the tank.

I've only rented tanks so in that case of course I set them up when I get to the site, but if one is getting tank(s) ready for a dive at home, and going to put them in the car to drive to the dive site, would one normally mount the reg to the tank then? Would it be different for a stage/pony/deco bottle?

I can see the investigators wanting the regulator for various reasons; it just struck me funny that they made it sound like they expected it to have been mounted to the tank. Maybe just an odd wording in the article :idk: Or maybe people normally do mount the reg to a stage or pony before leaving home and I don't know about it since I don't own my own tanks (?).

Thanks for posting the new article, Don.

Blue Sparkle

Having used "regulator" myself without giving it any thought, my (old) grey matter saw "valve" when I read and wrote it. I stand to be corrected, but I THINK that is what was meant,

Glad to hear they found the regulator.

Having used "regulator" myself without giving it any thought, my (old) grey matter saw "valve" when I read and wrote it. I stand to be corrected, but I THINK that is what was meant,
I wondered? Yeah, maybe they meant valve.

No Blue, regs are usually not mounted until you get to the dive site.

I wondered? Yeah, maybe they meant valve.

No Blue, regs are usually not mounted until you get to the dive site.

BTW, and as an aside, you seem to be entirely on top of incidents as they occur and as they unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom