EXPLORER update & Open Boat spots for the U-Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Sutton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings all,

Just an update on EXPLORER: We did a crew training/diving/fun day on Sunday and EXPLORER is ready for diving. Best part of Sunday would be a tie between Kate's excellent home-made chow and a 20 minute dive with of a pair of large (16") squid that I followed and watched while they carefully worked thru the seaweed looking for whatever squid eat. Never saw that before, wicked cool to watch. Had a great day.

In any case, I've decided to leave July 3rd and 4th (Monday and Tuesday) as open boat days, with a plan to dive the U-Boat each day. If anyone is interested they can call Pier Dive and sign up. With only 6 spots open this ought to fill fast.

We also have a few spaces open this weekend to ??? (someplace mellow) and anyone wanting to join in should call Pier Dive (401) 783-2225 and sign up. Unfortunately I will not be on the trip myself due to prior comittments, but Capt Eddie will run the boat and you can listen to him tell about the last 8 months he spent aboard a research ship in Antarctica as you eat Kate's chow and off-gas between dives. Only snag is that our dressing benches and tank racks will still not be aboard, but we'll suffer thru and have a great weekend anyhow. Join us! Anyone is welcome to call me directly with questions but Pier Dive will handle the roster.

Last thought: I'd be interested in running a Scubaboard "Shark Dive Social" if anyone would be interested. I'd like to offer it exclusively to New England list members here as a way to get together, put faces to names, and have a nice day on the water swimming with sharks (assuming that they cooperate). Thinking mid-late July. Let me know directly if interested.

Best to all,

Dave Sutton, EXPLORER
(908) 752-1853

What is your rate for charters? By the way, I know Eddie from his other life as a scientist, he's a nice guy.

Thanks for the link, and best wishes for the Explorer.

Hey Guys and Gals...

Chris, thanks for posting the link to the old article. Glad you know Eddie, he is a great guy. In a past life I spent a few seasons in Antarctica myself and helped set Eddie up with his present position in the program there, so I have some pride in his progress! I need to get him an application and sponsorship into The Explorers Club so he can really fit being Captain of EXPLORER (now everyone knows why she's named as she is).

Charter rates will vary according to destination based on fuel burn (and food desired! Kate can do anything between "none" and "5 star" so catering costs may vary too). Open boat trips to the U-Boat will normally be $150/per with all food and drink included (and hot showers, superb comfort, and all of the trappings of a luxury boat). More than a day of diving, a day aboard EXPLORER is a day well spent in itself. For the 3rd and 4th I'll offer Scubaboard members the trip for $125/diver just so ya'll can dive with us and spread the word on what a good time you had.

Just so everyone knows, my cellphone is still a NJ number because I fly there as a pilot for my day job and keep a local number, but have been diving and working the RI coast since 1968, so know my way around... ;-). I'll have a direct number for the boat soon, for now call me for technical information but call Pier Dive to place deposits and get on the roster. Easier for me to have that done at a one-stop spot.

Who knows when the board will again accept a photo upload? I want to post a photo of EXPLORER so everyone can see what she looks like. Anyone can email me directly for photos in any case.

Best to all,

Dave Sutton, Master, MV EXPLORER
42 Grand Banks Expedition Trawler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom