Explorer vs. "H" Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phocus

Reaction score
What is the difference between the "H" and Explorer knife sheaths? How secure is the Explorer knife from accidentally falling out? Any pros/cons between the two knives?

Thanks

Looking just at the Halcyon catalog, the Explorer knife sheath is stitched in such a way that the sheath sits at a near 50degree angle (from horizontal) on your waist belt. The knife goes in a little past the hilt, so I assume friction alone holds it in.

The H knife sits at 90 degrees and has an added top band that goes over the H knife handle. I think the top band might be elastic but I can't confirm this. The H knife goes in below the hilt, so I believe the top band is necessary to secure the knife.

Both sheaths are the same length, but the H sheath seems to have a shallower pocket for the blade.

The difference btw both knives is that the Explorer has serrations while the H knife does not. The H knife also has a molded handle where as the Explorer knife is naked titanium.

I personally would spend the money making my own DIR knife from a steak knife and spare webbing. You can make 2 sheaths and plenty of spare knifes for half the price of 1 Halcyon knife.

Looking just at the Halcyon catalog, the Explorer knife sheath is stitched in such a way that the sheath sits at a near 50degree angle (from horizontal) on your waist belt. The knife goes in a little past the hilt, so I assume friction alone holds it in.

The H knife sits at 90 degrees and has an added top band that goes over the H knife handle. I think the top band might be elastic but I can't confirm this. The H knife goes in below the hilt, so I believe the top band is necessary to secure the knife.

Both sheaths are the same length, but the H sheath seems to have a shallower pocket for the blade.

The difference btw both knives is that the Explorer has serrations while the H knife does not. The H knife also has a molded handle where as the Explorer knife is naked titanium.

I personally would spend the money making my own DIR knife from a steak knife and spare webbing. You can make 2 sheaths and plenty of spare knifes for half the price of 1 Halcyon knife.

The top band of the H knife is not elastic, it is velcro. I have a friend with an explorer knife, and he made a shot cord loop around the handle to secure it around the sheath. (sorry no pictures-It is a length of cord, tied through a lanyard hole on the handle, which loops around, behind the sheath, securing the knife by preventing it from being pulled up out of the sheath too easily.) The H knife is a double ended blade, (straight blade on one side, titanium on the other).

Steak knifes work fine though.

Personally, I like the 'H' Ti knife - I have two on two different rigs. The grip is large enough to provide secure manipulation, the blade is long enough for line cutting etc...and very sharp. The knife is very secure in the sheath - I like the velcro banded securement.

FYI... both of these knives are available from other manufacturers, or generic non-branded, at much cheaper prices. What you're actually paying more for is the sheath - and the sheaths are very good.

I use the angled sheath on my harness. The knife is quite secure. It does take some attention when you put it away to be sure that its actually in the sheath. I dropped (and forever lost) two knives like that before I learned my lesson.

I prefer a knife with a blunt tip, and the H knife (with the plastic/rubber handle) doesn't have that. Its pointy. The serrations on the Explorer knife are a must have, imo, too. I do like the LP-inflator-hose-pressurizer-tool (anyone have a better name?) on the plastic/rubber handled one, though. I'm forever forgetting to drain those hoses when I get out of my gear.

MOST importantly, the angled sheath looks cooler :cool2:

A gentle reminder, this thread is in the Halcyon Mfg forum. The OP was asking about two specific knives from that line of equipment. If folks are looking to discuss other options, starting a new thread in the general equipment forum would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

...and by sheath, you mean little blue H?

'H' branding has a cost implication, as we well know. Nonetheless, it is a very well designed sheath - which isn't available from other manufacturers who sell the same Ti knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom