Exposure protection in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I highly recommend full exposure protection for those coming to Cozumel in the next few weeks. We are in a temporary phase of more jellyfish than normal. They are not deadly and do not cause illnesss (unless you have a severe allergic reaction), but they do sting and can be uncomfortable. They are in the Sea Nettle family of jellyfish.

The best way to deal with jellyfish stings is first prevention...by wearing full exposure protection, even if only a skin. A hood or lycra cap is also a good idea to protect your neck area. Do not rely on your dive op for a full wetsuit. Most shops only have shorties available for rent. I always encourage my divers to have their own exposure protection anyway for hygenic reasons...but during this time, it is more imortant.

If you DO get stung by a jellyfish, the best treatment is to rinse with salt water (fresh water could cause more release of venom due to the change in Ph) and to apply vinegar (we have spray bottles of vinegar on the boat). DO NOT rub and do NOT apply alcohol/urine (a myth) as these things can also trigger the release of more venom. Take benedryl for the itching and inflamation. If you do start feeling worse or sick later on, you should have your dive op or hotel call a Dr.

This should NOT cause alarm or panic, it is just a friendly warning that they are out there right now and you should take proper measures to prevent the discomfort of a jellyfish sting.

Fish_Whisperer:
Hi, Christi! I just got back.. I saw some really pretty pink jellyfish, while I was there. I suppressed my urge to cuddle and snuggle with them, but they were neat looking! :D

Yeh, they are very pretty...until you get stung by one!

We had someone stung pretty bad this morning...so I just sent some of my personal wetsuits for her in hopes that one of them will fit her...I warned her they're not pretty but they will protect her skin :)

The crew sprayed her stings with vinegar and she said she was already feeling relief.

Ah rats! I was looking forward to not having to don a bunch of neoprene and going au naturale (relatively speaking 3/2mm shortie).

Thanks for the heads-up Christi!

driftin' by:
Ah rats! I was looking forward to not having to don a bunch of neoprene and going au naturale (relatively speaking 3/2mm shortie).

Thanks for the heads-up Christie!

Just take a lycra skin if you don't want to overdo it...that will do the trick :)

I have bad reactions to insect stings and have found that I don't fare any better with marine stings. If there's anything in the water that can sting it'll find me. And they seem to find me in their lave stage too before you can see them to try and avoid them. I carry a bottle of benedryl topical spray and also quick disolve antihistamine tablets with me. If I had to wait until I got back to my hotel then I'd be a mess of puffy red hive-like bumps. Yeah, that's nasty. Sorry.

Christi, That is why I brought my 1mm full as well as my 3 mm shorty. I hate Jellys I have never been stung but I dont want to. Saw many Thimble Jellyfish at least that is what I was told they were first time seeing them. wanted to put on my 1mm full but was told it would be ok and I was. for the entire week I took the 1mm full with me on the boat and the only time it saw sunlight was when I needed to empty my dry bag. I cant wait to get back to Coz and if my plans hold up 181 more days.
Eric

So you're not talking about thimble jellyfish larvae, but a full-sized jelly that you can see and (hopefully) avoid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom