Express Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of personal curiosity how much smaller did you get?

I do not understand your question completely. I am still as fat as ever but the BC packed up better. It could easily fit in a standard carry-on roller bag with other items. Although I did not try it, I believe a diver could pack all her recreational scuba gear for a tropical dive destination in one carry-on bag, depending on the fin size.

I ordered mine from Leisure Pro and it came assembled. Assembled, with the weight pockets installed, it packs up no better than my old Beuchat BC. However disassembled it packs much better.

I am sorry if you think I am critical but the product could be improved. For example if you just increased the amount of webbing on the attachments, so they could reach the other side of the wing and lock down, doing away with the additional straps you no longer provide, it would be an improvement that would not increase production cost very much and aid in disassembly.

No worries, I'm just gathering information to pass along to the higher ups. We always like to know what people are doing with our product after it leaves the dive shop.

When you say
increased the amount of webbing on the attachments, so they could reach the other side of the wing and lock down
are you referring to the weight systems?

No Jeff, the weight system is fine. It is difficult to describe because Zeagle uses a proprietary method of attaching the wing to the plate, so I do not know the proper terms. My suggestion is this. Instead of using bladder attachment straps to hold the wing to the plate (like shown in the video), lengthen the webbing on the clip (the tri-glide looking thing on the wing) so that is it long enough for the clip to pass through the cam band slots of the plate (like in the video) and attach to the clip on the other side. All you would need to do is lengthen the webbing a few inches (and maybe change the clip type if there are separate male and female clips).

My next thought is this. In order to remove the wing from the harness you also need to do one of two things. 1) remove the belt buckle or 2) remove the harness from where it attaches to the top of the plate (I did this but in retrospect removing the belt buckle would probably be easier). Now does the quick release of the deluxe harness solve this problem (after removing the chest strap)?

Also have you ever thought about making a harness similar to this (using plastic buckles)? Also a single-walled donut wing with a 25lb-30lb lift would have a market on a travel BC. I think you could even save some money over the horseshoe wing if you remove the second dump and use a plain elbow. Also dealers would not need to stock both a 24 lb and a 34 lb version.

I just got my ETD in the mail yesterday and the first thing I noticed when I tried it on were the shoulder straps. They are positioned closer to each other and mounts (triglide?) stitched at a 90 degree angle to the backplate. I don't know how strong the stitching is, but since the shoulder straps are worn at slight angle, I can see how the inboard part of the stitch is carrying much of the load and may rip in the future. IMHO, I think the placement of the shoulder strap mounts would be better have they spaced out a bit more for even loading.

Attachments

• zeagle etd.jpg
    zeagle etd.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 211
I don't know how strong the stitching is, but since the shoulder straps are worn at slight angle, I can see how the inboard part of the stitch is carrying much of the load and may rip in the future.

If it makes you feel better I have not seen any of those shoulder triglides break yet. Its really only a problem if you're walking around out of the water with tanks attached, once you're in the water the weight is gone. So provided you're not using it like a backpack walking long distances with twin tanks on you'll be ok.

IMHO, I think the placement of the shoulder strap mounts would be better have they spaced out a bit more for even loading.

I'll pass the feedback along. :coffee:

I don't agree that they need to be further apart. They are just fine now.

If it makes you feel better I have not seen any of those shoulder triglides break yet. Its really only a problem if you're walking around out of the water with tanks attached, once you're in the water the weight is gone. So provided you're not using it like a backpack walking long distances with twin tanks on you'll be ok.
I'll pass the feedback along. :coffee:

Well, the build looks solid as far as I can tell. I just hope this bc lasts me a few years before stitch gives out on the backplate.

Could you please tell us what prompted the design change from the old backplate? The original seem spaced and angled just right.

Express_Tech_Backplate.jpg

Back
Top Bottom