(Extreme) Cold Weather Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen a frozen pressure gauge and very much would not like it. I really want my pressure guage to work 100% and they don't cost too much, so I would replace the gauge immediately and never use it again.

As for the other question, no I wouldn't be bothered by diving without BCD/wind inflation under the ice. I wouldn't be under ice w/o a drysuit and I can easily use the suit for bouyancy. Sealing the deal is that the fact that I also have an alternative positive bouyancy device - standing on top of the ice and holding my tender rope :) If we are under the ice we have tender ropes or, in a distinctly confined area (small quarry for example) with excellent visibility ther might be only a strong, fixed line (solid rope) leading from the bottom to the entry point. So you can either be hauled up or can haul yourself up and the exit point can always be found.
I wouldn't plan on diving w/o BCD/wing inflator or make it a regular plan because I think the inflator can and should work just fine under the ice, but it wouldn't worry me at all.

The rest of this the OP would obviously know better than I, but I'll write it because others might be interested and I have no interest in getting back to work.

From what I've seen, an inflator will often freeze at temps as mild as -10C. Generally everything will be OK once you get it underwater where it can warm up. BUT if I couldn't get underwater is reasonably shallow water, or at least secured to the surface by a good rope and an tender I trusted, I'd give it up too.
To avoid problems/missed dives
AT HOME
Make sure everything is dry after its last rinse. After the first 6 hours or so of air drying indoors, I like to gently shake all the items to dislodge and drain any remaining drops of water, set then set things in a slightly different position to dry well longer than could possibly be necessary. Once gear is dry, do not breath those regs again and do not breath into that BCD/wing until you are underwater because your breath is moist.
ON SITE
I usually attach the regs at home but do not test breath because breath is moist. If you need wait and attach regs onsite, do so now in the still-warm car but do not test breath or fiddle with anything (inflator) while you are out in the cold air. Get in the water and stay at the surface but keep your regs and inflator underwater, where it is probably warmer than in the air. The inflator will occasionally not work when you just get in the water, a regulator might (much more rarely) give you a tiny bit of trouble too but both should be OK once they warm up a bit. If a reg doesn't seem to be working fine after a good 3-5 minutes and max 3' under water, leave it to another day. Freeflowing is real trouble and the risk of it wouldn't have let you (or buddy) relax and enjoy your dive anyway.

Usually someone with a freeflowing reg or well & truely frozen inflator has done something silly and gotten it moist in the cold air, usually by forgetting themselves and test breathing/oral inflating it in the cold air, or never having gotten it properly dry before leaving home.

Last of all, once back on land and having doffed your tank(s), make sure to open the drysuit zipper before it freezes. If it's seriously cold you might need a thermos of hot water to thaw the zipper so it can be opened w/o damage.
Full disclosure: -8 to -12C I've seen quite frequently, but I've never been diving at temps colder than -15C. I know many other that do however, and apparently damage neither their diving equipment nor their hopes of starting a family. So far I've had stricter comfort standards.

Last edited:
the conclusion some came to was not to connect the wing inflator while diving in extreme cold, to inflate orally as a preventative measure. It is not as daft as you may think.

Sorry I'm late.

Well, hooking it up doesn't keep you from inflating orally, does it?

However, if for any reason you end up being unconscious, there's very little chance that I'll think of orally inflating your wing to get you out of the water...

if for any reason you end up being unconscious, there's very little chance that I'll think of orally inflating your wing to get you out of the water...

Disclaimer: I don't believe I'd ever do a dive where disconnecting the wing inflator hose is needed. That said, I think you're putting up a strawman here.

Is it really necessary to inflate an unconscious buddy's wing? To get them up, you take them up a meter or so, and Boyle takes over. After that, your concern isn't to inflate their wing, it's to dump air from it to avoid a runaway ascent. On the surface, dumping weights is a pretty well-known method of ensuring positive buoyancy. You can't blow another diver out of the water and into safety on land by just inflating their wing.

OP
That's actually what worried me the most. I mean, I had a full tank (until it started free-flowing) but without even being able to see the air I had left... well, at that point I lost confidence in my gear. Who knows what else might have been frozen or not have worked properly, or that may start leaking as I dove? As unpleasant as the thought of getting under water and having my wing inflate uncontrollably was (it occurs to me that I could probably just dive without the inflator plugged in - I don't really need that much), the idea that there could be something else just waiting to fail me underwater... was what ultimately made me decide to call it.

I think there is fantastic wisdom in listening to your feelings at times like that, with or without what looks like adequate reason to cancel or call the dive. Diving is a wonderful peace of mind experience, therefore it makes no sense to dive when you aren't going to be allowed peace of mind. It would also always seem too **** stupid to have gotten badly scared or hurt over something you KNEW you weren't happy about, but just didn't listen to your own good sense.

Sorry I'm late.

Well, hooking it up doesn't keep you from inflating orally, does it?

However, if for any reason you end up being unconscious, there's very little chance that I'll think of orally inflating your wing to get you out of the water...

It is fairly common in really cold water to disconnect your wing inflator at the deepest point of the dive to reduce the likelihood of an uncontrollable ascent due to a frozen inflator. Some folks will also disconnect their drysuit inflator for the same reason. The risk of an out of control ascent is much greater than ending up unconscious for some reason.

Are SPG's oil-filled like some pressure gauges? If so, temps low enough will make the oil too viscous to let the mechanism work properly.
If the gauges are filled it is usually filled with mineral oil. Mineral oil freezes at around -20* F. I lost a couple of compasses last year during our extended cold snap.

If the gauges are filled it is usually filled with mineral oil. Mineral oil freezes at around -20* F. I lost a couple of compasses last year during our extended cold snap.

I too lost an oil filled SPG that way. Same year a number of my tanks went empty. They now get to winter over in the heated portion of the basement.

The coldest I have experienced while diving was -25ºC, -26ºC with wind chill (-13ºF, -14.8ºF) and it was an interesting experience.
I had no problems before the dive and I also noticed that everything was stiffer, hoses, the suit, my gear bag...
I only tested the gear already in the water.

After a 69 min dive I ran out, sat down and got out of my gear as quickly as possible and opened the dry suit before the zipper froze. But the suit froze and later I had to melt the shoelaces to take off the boots.
I took the gear home assembled because everything was frozen, regs, boltsnaps, the wing was solid...

I would simply point out that if you disconnect the inflator hose for a wing, and have no other means of buoyancy compensation, be sure you start out neutrally buoyant. Some divers apparently dive overweighted, and depend on the BC/Wing to be neutral. This is especially true with the newer HP steel tanks. The point is that to compensate orally, you need to be close to neutrally buoyant at the surface. Also, while it might seem obvious, you cannot orally inflate the BC if you are in a FFM. Finally, dropping the weight belt (as opposed to velcroed or zippered weights) is a better option than trying to orally inflate a buddy's BC. As I recall, the U.S. Coast Guard lost two divers in the Arctic a few years back due in part to these mistakes.
Deadly Coast Guard Dive: What Went Wrong

SeaRat

Last edited:
As I recall, the U.S. Coast Guard lost two divers in the Arctic a few years back due in part to these mistakes.
Deadly Coast Guard Dive: What Went Wrong
As I read that article, the triggering event and what really lead to the fatalities was that the divers were grossly overweighted. Like two to three times their correct weighting overweighted.

Back
Top Bottom