F22 Raptor!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, he thinks it's an impressive aircraft in terms of aerodynamics

that's not the same as saying that it poses difficulties (though i can't play the darned movie, so i don't know what he says, just what you wrote)

since i am sure he understands weapons systems, i doubt he believes the plane is a serious threat to US airplanes -- with perhaps the exception of the F-15, since it's so large and non-stealthy

but as far as F-16s, F-18s, F-22s, and F-35's are concerned, they got nothing to worry about. still, i'd like to see the new Aim-9 (?) missile developed. helps to be so good there's no hope of anyone ever chatching up.

H2Andy:
so?

it will get its *** smoked 50 miles away while it doesn't even know the F22 is there

these Russkies are building the perfect aircraft ... for 1980
Yes, but the bulk of our fighters remain F15's, F16's, F18's. Besides building very capable aircraft, the Russkies are very good at EW techniques to take away the BVR advantage. In close, they are very dangerous. You do not want to get into a turning fight with a guy that can shoot across the circle.

And the Russkies are not ignoring the radar signature issue either.

well, we are not talking about a turning fight here

we are talking about the SU getting so low and slow that it drops from the F15s radar screen (Doppler) momentarily, long enough for it to shoot a couple of missiles and scamper away. once he comes up to full speed, he is toast if he is not moving out of range and quick.

first, you'd need a hell of a pilot to do that, and it must be carried out flawlessly

and

second, the Air Force has been flying SU's against F-15's for a while now, and they understand the problem

a problem to be dealt with? yeah

a serious challenge to US aircraft? i doubt it

build the AIM-9x in case it gets to close-up fighting, but concentrate on a long-range missile, sort of like the Phoenix, but smaller and smarter

H2Andy:
the Air Force has been flying SU's against F-15's for a while now, and they understand the problem
He he, and they got their butts kicked flying against Indian SU-27's with older Russian jammer pods in the "Cope India" exercise a while back.

But yeah, the AF did not ignore that lesson and I doubt the outcome would be that same if played out again. My point is not to dismiss the Russian products as 20 years behind the times.

You really should try and get that video to play and watch the canards in action during the tight stuff. Amazing. I have also heard that very few pilots can actually do these sort of aerobatics, so while the plane is capable of them, the typical pilot is not.

Fantastic video, of some cutting edge flying! :D

Russian equipment is not crap as many think it is ... they went broke making it as good as a lot of ours

The main advantage of the F22 here would be it's stealth and even more modern avionics compared to the SU-30

The AIM 9 is the classic Sidewinder heat seeker which the Raptor has, but only two. The other popular Air 2 Air missle is the AIM 7 Sparrow IR Air 2 Air which the F22 does not carry. They have something else but I dont rember what it is right offf hand.
My only complaint about this aircraft which I have mentioned before is it's lack of ordnance. it should have hard points on the wings for use in non sneaky mode.

Wild, i think they are working on the AIM-9x now ... a new version

I just went back and looked. They are, the X is an IR missle, the others are AIM 120s and they say that two AIM 9Xs will fit on each side. Also i see it DOES in fact have hard points but I did not see them on the display bird...Im thinking I read about teh F35 and transfered it's info to the F22. I was thinking it held like 220 rounds for the cannon but it holds 480.

I just drove through Hickam and there were about 20 F-22s sitting there... wow is all I could think of.

I think it's five. They got turned back due to "in flight problems".... Im thinking the problem was not enough golf time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom