Faber HP 100 HDG for $363 w/free shipping... TGTBT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's been implied, but there is a legal requirement for dot inspection for any pressurized cylinder on roadways (interstates?). I don't know exact details, but USDOT requires hydrostatic inspections every 5 or 10 years.

VIP was a SCUBA industry policy. It's been around since I started diving. You can visually inspect tanks yourself, and psi freely certifies inspectors (freely meaning you don't need to work for a shop) . I do believe there is value in making sure the tank you breathe from underwater does not have water or rust inside, and I prefer seeing evidence of this when I dive with rental tanks, but I don't generally see this at resorts. As an industry policy, there isn't 100% consistency, and money definitely plays a factor.

The reason shops want a vis sticker on an empty cylinder with a valve is to make sure, even on a brand new one, that there are no contaminants, bugs, dirt, rodents(yes it has happened) in it. Also, if you take a tank with a partial fill in and there's no sticker, especially to a different shop than the one that filled it initially, they are not going to assume the liability of putting anything in it. If it has a sticker, the liability is on the owner and whoever put the sticker on.
I know personally of one location that won't fill a cylinder if the sticker doesn't have a shop name and address on it.
Their compressor, their rules.
Any shop that gets upset because you tried to save over 100 bucks and still gave them the vis and fill business should fail.

Since the Fabers that we’re discussing here have the Blue Steel valves, I’ve convinced myself that this is not off topic, lol. The o-rings on the yoke side of the insert have died after 7 dives. These are NOT 014s. The parts list on the Blue Steel website says that they are either 014 or 116, but they seem closer to a 112 when I compare them on an o-ring chart. Can anyone confirm this, or give me some guidance?

Thanks,
Erik

I have a few Command Air regs that I would like to dispose of.
If anyone is interested please let me know. I will post photos in a day or so.

Also, if you take a tank with a partial fill in and there's no sticker, especially to a different shop than the one that filled it initially, they are not going to assume the liability of putting anything in it. If it has a sticker, the liability is on the owner and whoever put the sticker on.
I get that..... but lets face it. Stickers are really just stickers. These days...... anyone can make ANY sticker with a laptop and a printer... Just say'n!

Back
Top Bottom