Faber steel tank. How to determine the model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bh0526

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

My first post. I recently was given a brand-new Faber steel tank. My buddy got a collapsed lung playing ice hockey and now cannot dive anymore. He bought this tank new in Dec 2008 but didn't save the paper work. I do not like it since it is too heavy to move around my small boat. So I want to sell it. But I am having a tough time figuring out what model it is. There are all kinds of numbers and letters at the top of the tank. My buddy remembered that it had 3400 psi of air when he bought it. It is extremely heavy! I am 6'4" 225 lbs and I can barely carry this thing. I have only used aluminum tanks in the past.

Here are the various numbers I see on the tank:

Made in Italy M8303 06/1465/ 005
BSM 120
TC-3AAM-244/00T-3AA 3180

Can anyone help me identify the model of this tank?

Thanks,

Bob

Evert,

Thanks for the reply. Your link allowed me to download an excel file. But I have no idea what this is.

Thanks,

Bob

Faber made some 3180 psi Plus rate tanks for a fill of 3498. These required the use of 7/8 300 Bar DIN valves.

To know it's cf rating we need to know it's height and diameter (just measure around and divide by 3.14) as if memory serves me right there were some diameters other than 7.25" and 8"

As this is a 3AA tank, it is a brick. That is why Faber went to their E/SP (Exemption/Special Permit) design.

When I started importing and distributing Faber tanks I asked them to stamp the size on them and they refused so I asked for a part number instead. That is why all Sea Pearls tanks will state SP100 (100cf) SP80 (80cf), etc.
I also had them start stamping the REE number on all our tanks. It seems like the simplest things escape the big boys.

Your tank is one of the original Faber M series steel tanks, specifically the 120cf variant.
They were service rated for 3180 psi + 10% so 3498 all said and done. This is a 3AA tank so its somewhat important to note that it was designed to satisfy different DOT requirements than the newer and more common exemption tanks (Faber FX series).

It is a good tank, but as you noted it is a little on the heavy side and is significantly more negative than newer ones. I have two of the 100cf versions...I enjoy diving with little to no ballast weight.

the faber 3180 psi tanks are really negative. like -14 pounds for some (or as Lead King state, it's a brick).

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the reply. After measuring it, I think my tank is a M120DVB. But it seems odd to me that this model# does not appear on the tank. With the numbers in my original post, is there any way to verify that my tank is indeed a M120DVB?

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for the reply. I think my buddy may have been ripped off by the dive shop. I know he bought this tank as new around Christmas. He paid around $400. But it sounds like you guys are saying this an old model. What do you thin this tank is worth? It has never been used.

Thanks,

Bob

Italy - where it was made

M8303 - mfg number i.e. Faber

06/1465/ 005 - 06 year made / batch number / number in batch

BSM 120 - 120 cuft from the sounds of it.

TC-3AAM-244 - Transport Canada / 3AA steel / 244 bar working pressure

00T-3AA 3180 - DOT / 3aa Steel / 3180 psi working pressure

If you note the hydro stamp is probably XX/06+

The plus mean it can be over filled by 10% or as folks have note 3498 psi.

M120DVB 3498psi 14.5liter 884cuin 120cuft 28.54height 7.24dia 45.3 lbs

-15.58 / -6.53 buoyancy full/empty

As for value - $400 is not out of line. Used $200-$300

Here is a 149 going for over $300 -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Tank-Fabe...2a00b1242b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1045

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom