Faced the fear, got my 1 star CMAS certification...but...now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BellDive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All!

Completely newbie here... just completed my one star CMAS today and am just super proud of myself.
It was rather scary experience due to the fear of taking off mask/swimming without mask drill and finding the regulator etc.

Today during my 6th dive of the course, i was truly scared of taking off the mask to swim without it as we had to do it at around 13 meter depth and i almost thought i would not complete it.

It's been mentally challanging for me and i had to face fear of getting in the water, fear of panicking and breathing via regulator etc. Harder than i thought when i signed up.

I was wondering if some that had similar experiences of real deep fear during the training, how you felt when you completed...did you continue seeking diving experiences ? Where did you go and how did you gain confidence again?

Personally i know now that i passed and all now , however it would be nice to hear tips of how to slowly continue and how you guys did it (if you had all the fear during the course). What could be a good next step?

Thank you!!

Welcome to SB and congrats on moving past your fear to get your certification.

I was never afraid during my training. A couple of the skills made me anxious but I kept focused and persevered.

Remember that breathing underwater is not natural and it takes some time for your brain to accept your new environment. Continue with your diving, plan and prepare for every dive and don't hesitate to call off a dive if you are uncomfortable. Work on your fundamentals in shallow, comfortable water...as your skills develop and improve I think your fears and anxieties will subside.

Don't forget this is supposed to be fun. Relax, keep breathing and don't panic.

I think being nervous during mask removal drills is normal. Those, for me, were the hardest in my open water (PADI) class. It's a disconcerting feeling not being able to see (unless you want to have salt water in your eyes) and breathing underwater.

Don't worry that you had a slight fear. Over time, you'll get comfortable with these aspects of diving. Also, you can practice these skills once in a while with a buddy once you're diving without the instructor. Always remember to just slow everything down - in other words, calm yourself, breath slow, and take your time with all these skills to eliminate panic/fear.

Hi All!

Completely newbie here... just completed my one star CMAS today and am just super proud of myself.
It was rather scary experience due to the fear of taking off mask/swimming without mask drill and finding the regulator etc.

Today during my 6th dive of the course, i was truly scared of taking off the mask to swim without it as we had to do it at around 13 meter depth and i almost thought i would not complete it.

It's been mentally challanging for me and i had to face fear of getting in the water, fear of panicking and breathing via regulator etc. Harder than i thought when i signed up.

I was wondering if some that had similar experiences of real deep fear during the training, how you felt when you completed...did you continue seeking diving experiences ? Where did you go and how did you gain confidence again?

Personally i know now that i passed and all now , however it would be nice to hear tips of how to slowly continue and how you guys did it (if you had all the fear during the course). What could be a good next step?

Thank you!!

The key - to me at least - is to remember that whatever fears you had, you overcame them in your training thus far and survived. Whatever problems you had, you solved them and survived. All of this should tell you that you have the capability to learn and problem solve what you need to learn and problem solve.

As long as you go into it with a can versus a can't attitude, you are already half way home. Don't get cocky or overconfident, just know that you can do it. Positive attitude is huge.

If you had "deep fear" with those exercises, what it tells you is that you need to continue working on them until they become routine. You see, in particular those skills that you list as being problems are skills you will probably actually have to USE when diving, and the ocean doesn't hand those problems to you when you are prepared and ready for them. Instead, you are trying to manage your descent, having a little trouble with your buoyancy and stressed a little about it, when the guy above you lets go of the downline and start kicking like crazy, removing your mask in the process. Get the drift?

If you are still very uncomfortable with those skills, ask your instructor or dive shop if you can spend some more time in the pool working on them, until they are simply second nature. A little discomfort is fine; but "deep fear" is not a good thing for a diver to carry into the water with him.

Hey all and thank you for writing!

The first days in the pool i really had to get comfortable with regulator. I went up for air 3 times over the course of pool training, one time from the 3meter end when we had to drill taking mask off, then regulator, regulator back and then mask on. Due to nervousness i panicked when i was taking water in instead of air when i had to re-insert the regulator. Big no no when i just started to ascend, but i exhaled all the way up n instructor slowed me down a little and gave me a serious talk on the surface. After that i asked him if we could drill mask off n regulator out a few times in the shallower end just to get a feel. And so we did and i managed to do it a few times and felt more calm about it but still a bit freaked over the sensation i had in the 3m end..
Later that day we practiced snorkling in the ocean (without scuba gear) and also had to take off mask and open eyes in salt water etc etc.

The following day we went to dive in the ocean (first two dives) to about 4.5 meters.
The instructor had informed that at some point down there he will point to one of us interchangeable that he is "out of air" and we have to rush over and give him our octopus as we drill in the pool.

So my turn came and i swim over to him rapidly while trying to get my octopus out, yet for some reason i couldnt get it out (later realized i just had to pull it a but harder 'n practised that), but in the water when i got to him and i couldnt get the octopus out, i took out my own regulator out of instinct!!! and offered it to him, he declined and i put it back! (this was before we practised the 1 regulator-2 ppl drill). In any case while down there i thought id messed up the drill, but instructor told me afterwards that - yes i should def. be able to take out octopus which we then went over, but he said what i did had been correct and he was actually proud that i had done it since i initially had fear of taking out the regulator. For me personally that moment i had no problem when i put it back in my mouth n i breathed normally, so i was really baffled over myself to be honest.
The following day we practised the taking off n swim without mask with open eyes, and i knew it was something that i was nervous about, but you're all so right, it is so important to know in case you lose your mask down there, to not freak out and to breathe and control it. But still, when you're totally newbie and you are in 15 meter depth and you only practised it a little in shallower water, it takes a bit of mental overcoming!
In any case, i did manage and once it was off it took like 3-4 seconds of weird sensation and then i felt more in control, also opened my eyes etc. But i know i will have to practice that more and i totally know i need to learn more skills. I don't feel over competent at all, on contrary, yet i do think i expressed more anxiety regarding the drills than the other guys in my group. (Maybe it was a macho thing who knows) and somehow feeling a bit like you're the only one who's afraid or feeling uncomfortable or hesitant than the rest of the group added to pressure.

Yet, as a psychology student and as part of my personality, i never do anything if i don't feel sure about it (i don't give in easily to peer pressure, i acknowledge that it's there, however i stand my ground). An example was, during the 6th dive of the course, we dove to 14-15 meters and instructor had told us we'd dive under through a small cave in the reef, nothing too serious etc. Being new and all i imagined just going under a sort of bridge where you can still see whats ahead and above etc. But we get there, and it was pitch black and beneath me, and i just see one by one the guys go in, and i didn't know how far that thing stretches, it was like a hole in the ground, poor visibility, and i was already getting a bit cold, so before the last guy from the group went in, i signal that im not going in. He wasn't my designated buddy, and i was actually a little confused as to why he decided to leave me behind alone to go in!? I would have stayed with the person who was fearing to go in, seriously that person is probably already anxious and more prone to panic maybe?? Shouldn't he have stayed with me until the instructor came back?
I was alone for about 20-30 seconds as i decided i don't go in, and i don't start looking for them. Turns out the cave thing was like "only" about 1 meter long and instructor and i just swam over the reef and met the others on the other side..

What i learn though from the last few days experience, honestly is that i really just have to take care of myself and listen to my inner voice. If i'm afraid of something, i need to evaluate it and make a desicion, its not worth risking panicking over a silly 1 meter "cave" dive, and it made me feel more powerful when i said "no" because i felt i was in control which was a calming signal to myself.

We didn't discuss this afterwards so it's just my 2 cents!

What i learn though from the last few days experience, honestly is that i really just have to take care of myself and listen to my inner voice. If i'm afraid of something, i need to evaluate it and make a desicion, its not worth risking panicking over a silly 1 meter "cave" dive, and it made me feel more powerful when i said "no" because i felt i was in control which was a calming signal to myself.

I feel that this is the correct conclusion: you are the only one that is responsible for yourself. Don't do anything you don't want to do.

Have you considered joining a dive club? Mine organizes two pool sessions per week where we practice skills like swimming without mask, towing a tired diver, guiding a blinded buddy,... I go once a week and it really helps to get comfortable in water.

Oh, and congratulations on your first star! You might as well show off and change your profile ;-)

I feel that this is the correct conclusion: you are the only one that is responsible for yourself. Don't do anything you don't want to do.

Have you considered joining a dive club? Mine organizes two pool sessions per week where we practice skills like swimming without mask, towing a tired diver, guiding a blinded buddy,... I go once a week and it really helps to get comfortable in water.

Oh, and congratulations on your first star! You might as well show off and change your profile ;-)

Thank you! I'm very happy and still smiling!

So i just wrote to the dive club asking if they have what you mention, and also in general how to advance from here. I know i can take the 2 star course, but was actually wondering what people really do after they get the 1 star. I don't have a specific diving buddy and still feel I definitely only will go out with someone who is an instructor with a lot of experience. I doubt i have to be on a course each time i want to go diving but i don't want months to pass before i go on a 7th dive!

I live in Israel with only 6 hour drive to Eilat (Red Sea) and i was thinking to join the 2 star course there, however part of me thinks perhaps i need to first go on some beginner dives with an experienced diver, just to gain experience and a little more confidence and also to actually see some fish lol (i did the 1 star in coast of Tel Aviv, mediterranian and visibility was not so good! Saw some cute jellyfish and some corals but nothing more than that..)
Anyways, to do that before i advance on a course which also focuses on rescue and deeper depths.

So..honestly i don't really know where to go from here. I'm waiting now to hear from the dive center what they suggest, in the mean time all tips for me are totally welcomed :eek:)
Thank you again!!

BTW what did you mean to change profile? :)

Hi BellDive,

just go diving for a while, don't rush through courses before you feel comfortable.

Finding diving buddies can seem daunting when you start out. At first I only went diving with my girlfriend, but I asked others in the club and found that most divers are very friendly and only too happy to go diving, even with complete beginners. You will learn lots of little tricks by observing more experienced divers and see that everybody has their own style. I started to put a message on facebook whenever I go diving and even in winter 4 or 5 people show up. There is a Red Sea forum here on ScubaBoard where you could look for buddies as well, it covers both Israel and Egypt, and Eilat seems to be an ideal weekend destination for you!

Finally, some of the SB regulars have written interesting stuff to read during your surface intervals, for example NWGratefulDiver and DevonDiver. More here as well.

Back
Top Bottom