Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may not necessarily get a refund but maybe some compensation for uncompleted portions of the course. You can always tell your instructor you want a referral record so you can seek a new instructor, he must supply you with this and sign off on all sections that you completed and passed. In this case you could ask for a refund for the unfinished parts possibly. If he will not give you a referral (don't forget the pic- certification form) then you should contact PADI who will then deal with the instructor. As for a refund again that depends on the shops policy and how much you have completed.
I too doubt there will be a refund. The person paid for a course and a course was delivered. Just because he /she failed is not a reason for a refund. Simply paying for a course does not get you a card. It must be earned.

I've contacted my instructor but am not agreeing with his perspective on what happened, so I'll be completing the course elsewhere. I know of dive shops in warmer climates where it will cost very little or nothing to avail to the use of a personal divemaster to complete the rest of this course.

Why is it you want the rescue diver certification?

Based on your own words you indicate that you are nervous and didn't communicate well due to "personal issues." What specifically do you not agree with?

It seems to me the rescue diver course is about confidence as much as competence.

You mentioned that you can complete the course elsewhere. Will this instructor not work with you any longer?

When I'm having considerable trouble completing a task I'm usually given more time to practice UNTIL I've mastered it. This wasn't the case here. Many of the students already had emergency rescue experience and I find it unfair to place me at the same performance level as them.

The instructor hasn't stated that he would work with me to finish the course, so I'm just telling him what I'm going to do if I can't get any additional help from this dive shop.

I've contacted my instructor but am not agreeing with his perspective on what happened, so I'll be completing the course elsewhere. I know of dive shops in warmer climates where it will cost very little or nothing to avail to the use of a personal divemaster to complete the rest of this course.

Dive masters are there to assist the instructor, and supervise the students. At the rescue level, I see no advantage of a divemaster, nor know what you mean by a "personal" one. Only you can complete the course. Another thing; why take the course in the tropics, if your going to continue diving in cold water? You should be taking the course in your home environment, because those are the conditions you will be diving in, not the clear crystal tropics.

Why is it you want the rescue diver certification?

Based on your own words you indicate that you are nervous and didn't communicate well due to "personal issues." What specifically do you not agree with?

It seems to me the rescue diver course is about confidence as much as competence.

You mentioned that you can complete the course elsewhere. Will this instructor not work with you any longer?

He wants the card because he is interested in civilian SAR, and apparently PADI rescue diver is a requirement.

After this weekend I don't think I'll be diving in cold water anymore. Given the fact that some divers are better at it than others and there's no sympathy for the ones that fall behind.

Telling me that I need to do more dives all while giving the shop my hard earned $$$ for rentals tells me that they're not interested in helping me finish this course in the time frame I want.

After this weekend I don't think I'll be diving in cold water anymore. Given the fact that some divers are better at it than others and there's no sympathy for the ones that fall behind.

Telling me that I need to do more dives all while giving the shop my hard earned $$$ for rentals tells me that they're not interested in helping me finish this course in the time frame I want.

With all sincerity, it sounds like *you* are not remotely ready to do Rescue. It is a very dramatic step up from OW and AOW. I know, because I'm taking Rescue now. Being comfortable and competent in your gear is a *requirement* for Rescue, in my opinion. How can you possibly be a rescuer if you, yourself, are very likely going to need to be rescued?????????

Yes we all have paid a lot of money to get to the point where we are today taking coirse after course, and dive trip after dive trip,and have spent alot of time being taught by other instructors who also paid out alot to EARN their certs also not to mention working our butts off as DMs. Now you want to insult us like that saying we paid to get out certs well I EARNED MY CERT. There are bad instructors out there just like in any type of training so before you start grouping us all in this misconeption of yours you should becareful what you say. There are many instructors who EARNED their certification and are on here to help others and give advice so again don't start grouping us all into this misconception. If you had a bad instuctor well that does suck but you should also do your homework and ask around about dive shops and instructors before hand, yes even then an instructor can turn out to be a bad instructor at the same time if you are not comfortable in the course with that instructor then you should talk with them and the dive center to figure out what is going on. To continue with an instructor you are not comfortable with is your choice.

Now also just because you decide to do your rescue course in the tropics does not mean that instructor will feel you have completed all requirements to the required standards. Also when you go to seek out another instructor for a refferal like myself that instructor may try to contact the original instructor to ask how you were in the previous course sections.

But like what has been said over and over you should go out put some more dives under your belt become more confident then go continue your dive training.

Yes we all have paid a lot of money to get to the point where we are today taking coirse after course, and dive trip after dive trip,and have spent alot of time being taught by other instructors who also paid out alot to EARN their certs also not to mention working our butts off as DMs. Now you want to insult us like that saying we paid to get out certs well I EARNED MY CERT. There are bad instructors out there just like in any type of training so before you start grouping us all in this misconeption of yours you should becareful what you say. There are many instructors who EARNED their certification and are on here to help others and give advice so again don't start grouping us all into this misconception. If you had a bad instuctor well that does suck but you should also do your homework and ask around about dive shops and instructors before hand, yes even then an instructor can turn out to be a bad instructor at the same time if you are not comfortable in the course with that instructor then you should talk with them and the dive center to figure out what is going on. To continue with an instructor you are not comfortable with is your choice.

Now also just because you decide to do your rescue course in the tropics does not mean that instructor will feel you have completed all requirements to the required standards. Also when you go to seek out another instructor for a refferal like myself that instructor may try to contact the original instructor to ask how you were in the previous course sections.

But like what has been said over and over you should go out put some more dives under your belt become more confident then go continue your dive training.
Becoming an instructor was your decision, not anyone else's. For me I like to get my money's worth. I am in no way spending any more money on anything scuba related until the issues concerning this rescue course are resolved by the shop. I'm very close to giving up diving altogether. Seems that a lot of posters here are for the person getting paid and not the ones that are paying.

Lots of good advice presented here. "Potential" issues raised about instructor and how OP can handle, as well as several comments that support instructor's decision. We don't know complete story so none of us can offer a definitive position.

nldiver1984, I'd encourage you to reflect critically (thoughtfully) on the comments raised here about the instructor, your diving/skills, and your timeline for courses. In less than 24 hours since this thread started, lots of useful information presented. It would be a missed opportunity if you interpreted this information as supporting one side or the other. Take what posters are saying, apply it, learn from it, and move forward.

It might be useful to cool down, reflect on the situation, and meet with this shop about their thoughts on how you could move forward (in an open and non-confrontational manner). I'd encourage you to listen to them. Agree to disagree if you feel your concerns are not met.

St John's has a population of a 200,000 and likely only a couple of dive shops. In your limited retail environment, this shop may still be of some use to you. They may have other instructors, dive trips of interest to you, and of course gear. I'd encourage you to get out and dive in cold water, continue to get familiar with buddy system, your weights and buoyancy; add other task, such as deep water, compass work, etc. Consider taking additional courses when you are completely comfortable with the aforementioned points, whether from this shop or others.

P.S. You mention that "I've contacted my instructor but am not agreeing with his perspective on what happened," yet you also want to report the instructor to PADI. Something doesn't add up.

Back
Top Bottom