Family trip to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay5832

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My family and I will be in the keys at the end of July. The wife and I dive and the kids snorkel. Any suggestions on where we can do both at the same time? My wife is brand new to diving so I was thinking Looe Key.

Any recommendations on charters and equipment rental?

Thanks

when i went diving we went to hens and chickens. its a shallow reef. 17 feet i think so the kids will be able to see everything and you guys will see some pretty interesting things as well. it is in islamorada flordia.

What part of the keys are you going to? Sombrero reef is a nice spot to snorkel - it's in Marathon. There are a few boats that take snorkel trips out there.

In Key Largo It's a Dive at the Marriot takes divers and snorklers out on the same boat. They do a number of the shallow reefs--and the staff are helpful and nice people.

Steve

Don't forget to take the kids to Robbie's Marina to feed the Tarpon. The kids will have a blast and so will you!

We're staying one night in Marathon then three nights in Key West.

Is there any shore diving that would be worth checking out?

no real shore diving in the keys to my knowledge. Best thing to do would be snorkeling at Bahia Honda near the old rail bridge but watch out for sharks, they tend to hang out there, I've seen alot there, bulls I think they were.

We're staying one night in Marathon then three nights in Key West.

Is there any shore diving that would be worth checking out?

If it were me I would call A Deep Blue Dive in Marathon and they can take your family out to some really nice spots. That way the snorklers can watch the divers in the water and take pictures of the rest of the family while they dive. It's always nice to put a camera in the kids hands while they snorkle just so they can have there very own pictures of what they see.
A Deep Blue Dive
Ask for Mike 904 315-0528 or 1-800-978-3483 www.adeepbluedive.com

My family and I will be in the keys at the end of July. The wife and I dive and the kids snorkel. Any suggestions on where we can do both at the same time? My wife is brand new to diving so I was thinking Looe Key.

Any recommendations on charters and equipment rental?

Thanks

We did the reverse. My kids dove and we snorkeled. We used SeaMonkeys in the Hampton Inn in Islamorada (MM80) and had a great time. They allow snorkelers and divers and it is very relaxed. Hampton In is pretty good place to stay especially if you can get one or two bedroom suite.

Went to Marathon in June and dove with Tilden's Dive Shop. Great people. Talk to Sally at the desk -- she's very helpful. There were divers on our boat as well as Snuba snorkelers. I really didn't get a chance to see exactly how it worked, but they put this "boat" about 5 feet long in the water with hoses coming from it. The snorkelers get to breathe off the tanks on the "boat". So you and your wife can dive while the kids snorkel above. If you'll be near Marathon, give them a call: 305-743-7255. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom