Faster drip dry a non-issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh forgot to mention good wicking undies and a decent undergarment make a huge difference to surface and underwater comfort. I use Icebreaker Marino Wool Long johns and Vest with a 4th Element Arctic under suit under my Dry suit, never felt cold yet. Also a good Beanie hat for surface intervals is essential.

How??? If you are inside the suit - and dry - and the moisture is outside the suit - how is the faster drying suit warmer???

Good question. I'm not sure, but let me throw one theory out there and maybe those that have owned both types of suits can comment: One characteristic of a quick drying suit is that it's outer surface is designed so that doesn't hold as much water, so that there's a lot less left over after the initial run off period that it has to get rid by evaporation. It would be affected by the amount and type of fabrics in the outer wear-resistance layers. A thick, loose-weave baggy outer layer would hold a lot more water than a minimal thin tight layer once you're above water.

In terms of insulation, as long as the outside is wet, the effective skin temperature of the outer surface of the suit is 5 or 10 degrees cold than the air alone, assuming still air. Insulation just slows down the rate of heat loss, and if you're still wet, your insulating layer is effectively reduced. However, once the outer surface of the suit is dry, whether by water running off or evaporation, the load on the insulation is reduced.

If you are doing a surface interval - assuming that you are still dry inside the suit - wouldnt it still come down to your undergarment choice?? The warmth offered from a compressed neo suit isnt just warmth at depth - if one is warmer at depth - it should be so on the surface as well?????????

You're not incorrect, but maybe consider things in a slightly different light. Think for example of two one hour dives with a one hour SI. Simplistically, if the suit dries quickly, you cool down for one hour, warm up for one hour, and then cool down for one hour. If the suit doesn't dry, the chilling effect is like a continuous three hour dive. Your choice of insulation and cold tolerance determines whether you can withstand three non-stop hours of cooling.

How??? If you are inside the suit - and dry - and the moisture is outside the suit - how is the faster drying suit warmer??? If you are doing a surface interval - assuming that you are still dry inside the suit - wouldnt it still come down to your undergarment choice?? The warmth offered from a compressed neo suit isnt just warmth at depth - if one is warmer at depth - it should be so on the surface as well?????????

I was assuming the diver would be wearing more undergarments with the rubberized shell suit and that a neoprene drysuit in windy and cold surface conditions would have much greater evaporative heat loss, since it retains more water, as was mentioned above by bleeb.

As a result of the neoprene suit material getting colder and the diver wearing lighter fabric insulation, he would have a colder "micro climate" than a diver with heavier fabric insulation and no evaporative heat loss of the shell.

The difference in diver heat loss probably isn't significant under our typical winter conditions, but there would be difference, wouldn't you agree? :)

Compared to neoprene, my trilaminate's exterior fabric will be completely dry in a much shorter period, especially in windy, dry conditions, even in the winter. My buddy wears a crushed neoprene and it stays wet quite a while, as do my crushed neoprene drysuit socks. :)

manni-yunk, mostly I was asking about getting into and out of the suit post dive, as well as the drying. In other words, will I be miserable getting out of and putting away the suit. AND, will I be miserable getting back into the suit tomorrow, or next week for that matter.

With ANY drysuit, I don't think you'll be miserable getting out of it or putting it away; it'll be less trouble than a wetsuit, for sure! And drying the inside of a drysuit can be done overnight under most conditions, especially if you have a fan blowing on it. I've done that when diving back-to-back days. Works great for drying the undergarments, too.

A little more personal info....probably too much.... :wink:

With my trilaminate suit there will be some perspiration moisture condensed on the interior, but the suit is easy to take off. The outer surface of my undergarments may be slightly damp, too.

If I'm wearing my insulation that has the wind-breaking nylon shell exterior (Weezle Extreme Plus), I'll still be completely warm even in dry, windy winter conditions. If I'm wearing only Polartec undergarments, the winds whip right through them, so that might hurry me up a little.... Since I don't like to hurry on a dive day, I bring a snowmobile suit, if needed.... :wink:

As far as suit handling, when I dive saltwater, I bring warm freshwater and rinse my trilaminate suit right at the dive site. The outside of the suit will be almost completely dry by the time I pack everything up for my trip home, only the crushed neoprene neck collar and drysuit socks still being damp.

For the 2.5-hour trip home, I turn the suit inside-out and lay it on top of my other gear. The inside will usually be completely dry by the time I get home, except perhaps the crushed neoprene portions.

At home, after the inside crushed neoprene has completely dried, I turn the suit rightside out until the outside crushed neoprene areas are dry. That can take a day or two, depending on humidity, but, as I said, a fan blowing on the suit can greatly shorten the process. :)

Dave C

I'm a drysuit newbie (about 8 dives now), but I can say that the 4mm compressed neo outer of my drysuit does not 'hold' nearly as much water as a neo wetsuit does. Even immediately after a dive, yes it's wet, but not 'soaking' like a wetsuit.

Regarding your concern about getting into the suit the following day, etc., after about 24 hours hanging in my garage (with it being roughly 50F temp inside), I'd say that the suit is about 90% dry. After 48 hours, it is 100% dry.

Obviously ymmv.

manni-yunk, mostly I was asking about getting into and out of the suit post dive, as well as the drying. In other words, will I be miserable getting out of and putting away the suit. AND, will I be miserable getting back into the suit tomorrow, or next week for that matter.
Lots of good thoughts and I appreciate the opinions...
TS&M, so in this case a Sport could be a benefit over the Bullet when thinking of a Fusion for cold weather and not just cold water? This will have to be a year round suit and I suspect I'd pack the wet suit away for good...

Thanks everyone for the great thoughts which leads me to conclude that for the most part, I need to get dry to appreciate my dives even more, period. As some have said above, ANY drysuit will be an improvement over my wetsuit. This time of year starts to bring better vis as the temps get colder.
Thanks to all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom