Fatal Jellyfish Sting in Australia

When do you wear a wetsuit?

• When it's warm enough for me not to use my drysuit (never dove warm water)

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I always wear a wetsuit.

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • I wear a wetsuit once in a while, if I think I need one.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • I never wear a wetsuit.

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in the gulf where water temp is usually around 82 we don't wear wet suits but diving the oil platforms most guys wear blue jeans and long sleeve shirts or as in my case a NOMEX to keep from getting torn up by the barnacles on the rigs ....and gloves are a must....

:confused:
agreed that the temperature in the gulf is fantastic, but blue jeans???!

aren't they kind of heavy and cumbersome?

I've always been told never to do sport in jeans, especially if there's water involved cause they just get so heavy and they tend to rub
:(

That's a new one by me. I've done a rig dive on the way back from Stetson Bank... that was where I was diving with no suit because, as you said, the water was SO nice. I got a bit of a scrape from the coral on the rig. It wasn't bad, but enough to teach me a lesson.

I voted the "once-in-a-while" option - but the real answer is that I ALWAYS wear my diveskin for protection agains UV and stinging beasties.

The wetsuit goes on when the water temp drops to about 85 [TX definition of "cold"] and gets thicker down to about 55 [TX definition of "too cold"]

Yes i know jeans sound bad but they arent as bad as you would think ....especially when you have your legs wrapped around a barnacle covered rig leg :) Me personally i prefer the nomex because you can take it off between dives easily and just wear shorts under it ....only bad thing is most of them lack belt loops so you have too add them to facilitate stringers and the such....but the majority of the guys i dive with do wear jeans and long sleeve jean shirts heh

You know, there's a part of me that really likes the idea of using jeans as dive gear. It may not be DIR, but it's pretty cool.

Reminds me of my younger days, when I used to swim in knee-length cutoffs. They were just the thing for utilitarian screwing around in the ocean.

It makes me a little bit nostalgic... maybe I'll go for a high tide jump off Minot light again this summer.

Ya mean you don't think blue jeans while spearfishing would be DIR? :) It just makes good sense to me i wouldnt want to spend x amount of dollars on a wetsuit and then take it out and cut it all up after 1 dive ....maybe I should start designing under water jeans for name brand companies that way people could dive and make a fashion statement :)

Reinforce the knees, add a few solid brass D rings and a way to attach a knife, and you might be onto something.

I'd probably buy a pair for general boating and beach-bumming, though maybe not for diving.

Sounds like i'm onto something here ...I'll call it Dive Wear..."for those discriminating divers who know that wet suits aren't going to make the fashion grade in todays modern dive environment"........all i need now is some investors..anyone? anyone?...bueller? anyone?

I have heard that jeans on rig dives are a good idea because you can get $3 or $5 jeans at a thrift store and not worry about getting rips & tears.

Using Windex or glass cleaner on jelly fish stings also work.

I dove in Cozumel last August and a lycra skin was anough to keep the thimble jelly fish stings off my skin. One woman dove in a t-shirt and had stings all over her legs.

I also have 0.5 mm gloves that worked in Cozumel as well. When an inconsiderate diver kicked me in the face and I instinctively back-up into some fire coral, instinctually putting out my hand, it stopped me from some hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom