Fatality at Peacock Springs today (07-07-2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tammy that attitude will keep you alive and well when things do go bad, and they go bad very fast. I have had more than one bad experience, one being this past weekend. Its scary how fast things go bad but doing what your taught and following the rules takes a big stress off you and allows you to work the problem.

UCFDiver, I have done a few dives "for fun & enjoyment" & to be honest, they have helped me immensely in skills & confidence. Whether I'm in formal training or not, I take each dive as a training & learning dive, so I guess in that thought it never stops. When I stop learning, it will be time for me to hang up my fins.

Just don't forget cave training isn't about getting a full cave card. No need to rush to full cave, I had over 100 cave dives before full cave, and only about 10 of them were training dives.

I can't say I disagree. You are correct. Though most of my dives have been in formal training, I basically learn a little (usually through mistakes & failure, but occasionally some successes) then take it & try to perfect it. I would say I've been working towards full cave since finishing Intro for nearly 2yrs. Living as far away from FL as I do, I can't just take a day off & go down (though that would be nice:blinking:). I am now at the brink of make or break. Close enough to smell it, so to speak. I would say that's where the excitement comes from.

I can't say I disagree. You are correct. Though most of my dives have been in formal training, I basically learn a little (usually through mistakes & failure, but occasionally some successes) then take it & try to perfect it. I would say I've been working towards full cave since finishing Intro for nearly 2yrs. Living as far away from FL as I do, I can't just take a day off & go down (though that would be nice:blinking:). I am now at the brink of make or break. Close enough to smell it, so to speak. I would say that's where the excitement comes from.

if this woman would've had that attitude she might still be with us.
keep it up

I'm with you, Kevin. I bent a few rules, but I never broke ANY -- and I never stretched 6ths by 50 psi. I figured the rules were put in place to keep me safe, and apparently, they were.

Wow, anyone know who it is? I was supposed to be there today, but was asked to DM a large class elsewhere.

Wow, this is horrible. My prayers to the friends and family. So sad. :(

EDIT**
I'm tore up. These were my dive buddies that I cancelled on today. This couple which is usually a trio dives this same spot every wednesday for about 5 years. They keep it really simple, really short dives. Buddy said that the she started looking/feeling disoriented then bolted in the wrong direction. He struggled to catch her, showed her line arrows on the line and she bolted again beyond his reach.

I'm not sure what's appropriate here. I don't want to give names if that's not cool. This is very sad.

I'm sorry for your loss. Apparently, according to reports from the surviving buddy, this wasn't such a simple short dive today. I'm sure he did all he could during the dive to save her. Sometimes you just have to know when there's nothing else you can do. Hopefully, he and others will learn from this and respect the rules for what they are and the reason they are there.

Full cave divers do this dive the EXACT same way all year long at Peacock. Let's ignore the training level for a few minutes here and realize that the visual jumps had to of played a major role in this. Bruce died about a year ago for the EXACT same thing at Ginnie, and he was full cave.

I find no reason to believe this diver didn't know that visual jumps weren't a good idea. I bet she knew the exact jump procedure and chose not to do it for convenience sake just like so many full cave certified divers do. Let's learn that and not just write this off as an intro death.

All indications so far are that they broke their training standards rather severely (diving past 1/6s, multiple, blind jumps, etc). Was this usually the case when you dived with them?

Don't know, this was to be my first dive with them. I've spoken with past buddies who said they are very proficient. I know they have been diving peacock every wednesday for about 5 years.

I'm really not willing to be part of a discussion that bashes a victim and a man who tried to save the life of the victim. If you are willing to, you then you are a bigger azzhole than me, and that's just too hard to believe.

Someone died here. It's tragic. We don't know why it happened (yet). Medical or Pilot Error someone is gone now. Let's try to remember that when you are sitting high on your horse about what shoulda, coulda, woulda happened.

And i'm not talking to you specifically Rainer

My condolences. This was avoidable. I'm saddened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom